Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Off Topic > Off Topic Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-11-2020, 11:22 AM   #101

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoninDel View Post

As to testing showing more cases - that logic would say we should stop doing mammograms to lessen breast cancer.
This is completely off base of what I said. I did not deny cases exist. That is not the data that matters. Infections exist get past that as asymptomatic carriers really have no clinical significance other than to say that they have an infection. Real numbers that matter are those that are having problems; hospitalizations, ICU admissions, vent or ECMO dependent.

I will not address politics.

2ata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 11:25 AM   #102

Quote:
Originally Posted by piper6909 View Post
It's nice to have some insight from someone who is in the trenches. Thank you.

The one thing I'd like to add to "Cast a wider net, catch more fish" is that the fish are still there, regardless what size net you cast. Casting the net does not create the fish.
I did not deny the existence of the fish. I merely contend that does the existence of positive tests in asymptomatic patients hold any relevance other than to say.... see the numbers going up.

It focuses the wrong set of data point.
Old 08-11-2020, 11:43 AM   #103
NewUserName

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2ata View Post
asymptomatic carriers really have no clinical significance other than to say that they have an infection.
Except that asymptomatic carriers can infect other people - that is why it is good to know.
DoninDel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 11:50 AM   #104

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoninDel View Post
Except that asymptomatic carriers can infect other people - that is why it is good to know.
Exactly! To curb the spread you need to first know who the carriers are and perform contact tracing. This is precisely where we have failed miserably.
Old 08-11-2020, 12:16 PM   #105

I'm not here to argue points.

I stopped in to provide real world data from direct experience. You all are clearly entitled to discuss numbers, tracing, whatever as you see fit. I'm just not interested as I deal with this regularly.

Enjoy your discussion gentlemen.
Old 08-11-2020, 12:55 PM   #106

Quote:
I'm not here to argue points.

I stopped in to provide real world data from direct experience. You all are clearly entitled to discuss numbers, tracing, whatever as you see fit. I'm just not interested as I deal with this regularly.

Enjoy your discussion gentlemen.
2ata, I appreciate your input and more importantly I appreciate your efforts on the front lines.
Old 08-11-2020, 03:06 PM   #107

Quote:
Originally Posted by piper6909 View Post
2ata, I appreciate your input and more importantly I appreciate your efforts on the front lines.
No problem.

Old 08-12-2020, 04:23 AM   #108
1998 Boxster Silver/Red

Quote:
No problem.

I won't say anything even though it's after 5.
Old 08-12-2020, 07:00 PM   #109

wrong section right quote

QUOTE=itsnotanova;614331]Nope, it's attacking everyone. It's inevitable. Young or old, rich or poor, we're all going to get it at some point and some of us are going to die. I don't wan to die, but if it's my time it's my time. We all have to die eventually. Sitting in fear is no way to die for me[/QUOTE]. Here ya go
nicecar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 07:01 PM   #110

986 starter

Starter of bs
Old 08-12-2020, 07:42 PM   #111

Went to call a prospective customer today that I haven't spoke to in a couple of years, doing a lot of sales work via telephone for obvious reasons. Called and spoke to his boss who I also have known for several years, found out my original contact died last spring. I knew him (deceased guy) for a couple of decades and he was never a picture of health, a year back his diabetes caught up with him and he had to retire due to health reasons last fall. Poor guy lost a leg, then they cut off again above the knee a few months later, followed that up with a quadruple heart bypass early 2020. Shortly afterwards he had a stroke and somewhat recovered and a month later was put in a nursing home for recovery, pneumonia struck and he died a few days later at the age of 52, official cause of death was listed as Covid, mentioned in the obituary, I read it this afternoon on the online local paper. Glean from that what you want, imo the stats are complete BS.

Last edited by coreseller; 08-12-2020 at 07:44 PM.
coreseller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 08:45 PM   #112

bs

I meant bs in respect to name calling , finger pointing nit picking wording etc..as far as the stats and virus and politics..._________________________?
Old 08-12-2020, 08:46 PM   #113

Coreseller - so sorry to hear about your friend. 52 is way too young. Not surprised about the COD.

Omaha has recently been added to the govt list of hot spots for new cases. But it was discovered the numbers were being fudged. If you test positive, you undergo many more repeat tests until you get 2 negatives consecutively to be considered cured. However, until you get the 2 negatives, each positive test is registered as a "new" case. That's very creative but not very accurate.

Why is it you never hear of cases being under-counted, but always over-counted? If you can't trust the numbers, how can you believe the data?
2008 Boxster S Limited Edition #005
2008 Cayman S Sport - Signal Green
1989 928 S4 5 spd - black
1987 928 S4 - Granite Green Metallic (Felsengrun)
husker boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 02:50 AM   #114

Thanks Husker. He was far from a close friend but you're right, 52 is way too young.

Strangely enough I did talk to a close friend yesterday who's a 30 year veteran of our city's fire department. All personnel of that fire department were tested for Covid in March / April, just under 1000 people. There was not one positive test result, all came back negative. I honestly don't know what to think of that lol.

I'm certainly not a Covid denier, it's just that I'm very skeptical of the stats and the way they are being manipulated and reported.

Last edited by coreseller; 08-13-2020 at 02:52 AM.
coreseller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 03:04 PM   #115

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicecar View Post
QUOTE=itsnotanova;614331]Nope, it's attacking everyone. It's inevitable. Young or old, rich or poor, we're all going to get it at some point and some of us are going to die. I don't wan to die, but if it's my time it's my time. We all have to die eventually. Sitting in fear is no way to die for me /QUOTE]. Here ya go
Yes, but that's not the time he said he wants to catch it. In a thread that I believe is now deleted, he said that he wants to catch it because he wants to beat something that kills others. Or to that effect. I remember that specific post. And you'll note that in this very thread he did not disagree with my quote of his.

It's not a big deal. I'm just a stickler for accuracy.