Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Off Topic > Off Topic Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-07-2012, 12:39 PM   #1

Garage
My DE instructor took me out in his

2004 E46 BMW M3 to show me how he drives the course. I nearly got sick after 5 laps and had him pull back into the pits. They are amazing cars......and super amazing in the right hands! By the way, he said they lose a lot of instructors because they can't handle the passenger seat.

I WANT ONE NOW! Does anyone here have one? If you do, please pm me or post what I need to look for in a used E46 M3.

Thanks.

Boxster586 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 12:57 PM   #2
Porscheectomy

If you think that's impressive, try a drive in a 997 GT3!

I rode in my instructor's GT3 before taking the track myself and it screwed me up for the rest of the day. I was disoriented and couldn't find my lines right for 4 hours after riding in that car! It was strange because it was like a switch turned on and in the final session I was actually following the lines and hitting the braking points right.
blue2000s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 02:48 PM   #3

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by blue2000s View Post
If you think that's impressive, try a drive in a 997 GT3!

it screwed me up for the rest of the day. I was disoriented and couldn't find my lines right for 4 hours after riding in that car! It was strange because it was like a switch turned on and in the final session I was actually following the lines and hitting the braking points right.
Haha..................It's amazing that it happened at all! It took me about 3-4 hours to shake it off too. My lap times gradually got back to the lap times I attained at my first track day at BIR.

Note to self: Do NOT RIDE in another person's car if you intend on driving on the track the rest of the day. It may not happen to you but why take the chance.
Old 08-07-2012, 05:40 PM   #4

It's the driver, not the car. Pretty sure on a tight track, with identical drivers a Boxster base keep up with a M3...
ekam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 05:48 PM   #5
Certified Boxster Addict

As Ekam suggested, at this level its definitely the driver and not the car. Get as much track seat time as you can and you'll be amazed at how good you will get.
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor

Last edited by thstone; 08-07-2012 at 05:56 PM.
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 06:02 PM   #6
Porscheectomy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxster586 View Post
Haha..................It's amazing that it happened at all! It took me about 3-4 hours to shake it off too. My lap times gradually got back to the lap times I attained at my first track day at BIR.

Note to self: Do NOT RIDE in another person's car if you intend on driving on the track the rest of the day. It may not happen to you but why take the chance.
The scary part to me is that on that day, my instructor got a ride in a GT-R and HE was amazed. I can't imagine how screwed up I'd have been from a ride in a GT-R.
Old 08-07-2012, 06:05 PM   #7
Porscheectomy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ekam View Post
It's the driver, not the car. Pretty sure on a tight track, with identical drivers a Boxster base keep up with a M3...
Tires man, tires. Almost any high performance car transforms into a different animal with track tires.
Old 08-07-2012, 06:44 PM   #8

Its definitely the driver, not the car. Not to brag but the first time on the track, I was getting pointed by by Vettes and Mustangs with probably twice my horsepower. And, I also had to point by a BMW SUV! The driver was good.

2000 Boxster 2.7l red/black

Previous cars

1973 Opel Manta
1969(?) Fiat 850 Convertible
1979 Lancia Beta Coupe
1981 Alfa Romeo GTV 6
1985 Alfa Romeo Graduate
1985 Porsche 944
1989 Porsche 944
1981 Triumph TR7
1989 (?) Alfa Romeo Milano
1993 Saab 9000
san rensho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 01:24 PM   #9

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by thstone View Post
As Ekam suggested, at this level its definitely the driver and not the car. Get as much track seat time as you can and you'll be amazed at how good you will get.

You're both right. The M3 was in my instructor's hands and the 113+ additional hp over my 2003 base made it feel amazingly fast!

I do agree that it's the seat time, as I was able to out drive newbies in a 2004 LS1 GTO (350hp), a 2005 LS2 GTO (400hp), and a Boxster S.

I'm currently trying to find free software to overlay the gps data to the videos before posting them. I'm hoping to post them this weekend.

Have a great day everyone.

By the way, I'm having second thoughts about the Hankook Ventus tires. I'm now realizing that the sidewalls feel fairly soft. The front tires also became out of round to the point where road force balancing is not helping the light vibration in the front end/steering wheel.
Old 08-08-2012, 06:06 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxster586 View Post
2004 E46 BMW M3 to show me how he drives the course. I nearly got sick after 5 laps and had him pull back into the pits. They are amazing cars......and super amazing in the right hands! By the way, he said they lose a lot of instructors because they can't handle the passenger seat.

I WANT ONE NOW! Does anyone here have one? If you do, please pm me or post what I need to look for in a used E46 M3.

Thanks.
I owned a 2006 M3 before my boxster. Very Fast indeed! I pushed mine to 160k mph. I loved the car! One buying, you should get the 6 speed umanual and get the competition package (they come with stock 19 in wheels and I believe tighter suspension). They are an amazing machine, but I felt like they felt too luxury - I drove fast in it all the time because I couldnt really feel the speed. The 2-seater boxster is more fun. I can only imagine how fun it would be if it had the same 333hp the M3 has. Good luck with your search.
19" MHT Rims
Evo Intake, De-Snorkeled
CVstarBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 06:31 PM   #11

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by CVstarBoxster View Post
I owned a 2006 M3 before my boxster. Very Fast indeed! I pushed mine to 160k mph. I loved the car! One buying, you should get the 6 speed umanual and get the competition package (they come with stock 19 in wheels and I believe tighter suspension). They are an amazing machine, but I felt like they felt too luxury - I drove fast in it all the time because I couldnt really feel the speed. The 2-seater boxster is more fun. I can only imagine how fun it would be if it had the same 333hp the M3 has. Good luck with your search.
Thanks for the advice. I'm in no hurry. I'll keep an eye out for the right deal and we'll see what happens.

The one I rode in had the 19" wheels, aftermarket adjustable shocks, intake, exhaust and a Dinan (sp) ECU map, and five point harness. It was fun.....after the fact.

Btw, I just went ahead and bought RaceRender 2 and did a short video of the two GTOs I mentioned in an earlier post. Here is a link. I lost my password to my old Youtube account so I had to create a new one...hence only one video so far. I'll also post this link in the right forum (racing).

8 6 12 session 5 Part I - YouTube