Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Off Topic > Off Topic Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-29-2012, 08:22 AM   #1

Anyone Bicycling?

Anyone into road race bicycling? Thinking about getting into it at a beginner level. Looking for suggestions on a bike and any other advice.

Ebay Headers, Fabspeed high flow cats, JIC Cross, IPD Plenum, H&R Coilovers, B&M Short Shifter, AEM Uego Gauge Type Analog, Apexi S-AFC Select, 987 air box, Litronics, 2000 Tails and side markers, painted center console, 18" 987 S-Wheels, GT3 Front bumper with splitter.
JAAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 08:46 AM   #2

I used to race many years ago, but I still get out riding 2-4 times a week.

Find out where the group rides are in your area and then ride with them. The good riders in the group will be more than happy to coach a beginner. They will probably kick your butt in the beginning, but after a while you'll be able to keep up. Nothing more motivating than seeing a wheel up ahead that you have to catch or be dropped from the group.

As far as bikes go, you can get a good race bike for well under $2k new. My choice would be a Cannondale Caad 10, with a Shimano 105 group. The frame has great geometry for criterium or road racing and the 105 is functionally the same as the higher priced Shimano groups.

Have fun.

2000 Boxster 2.7l red/black

Previous cars

1973 Opel Manta
1969(?) Fiat 850 Convertible
1979 Lancia Beta Coupe
1981 Alfa Romeo GTV 6
1985 Alfa Romeo Graduate
1985 Porsche 944
1989 Porsche 944
1981 Triumph TR7
1989 (?) Alfa Romeo Milano
1993 Saab 9000
san rensho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 08:57 AM   #3

Thanks for the details. I will check out that bike. I'll keep you posted
Ebay Headers, Fabspeed high flow cats, JIC Cross, IPD Plenum, H&R Coilovers, B&M Short Shifter, AEM Uego Gauge Type Analog, Apexi S-AFC Select, 987 air box, Litronics, 2000 Tails and side markers, painted center console, 18" 987 S-Wheels, GT3 Front bumper with splitter.
Old 07-29-2012, 09:01 AM   #4

Garage
I bought an entry level Trek Road bike about 5 years ago when I started getting into Triathlon, and am very happy with it. It's got less carbon than the higher end ones, but with an aluminum frame, and carbon fork / seat post, it's still quite light, and certainly not the weakest link in my cycling leg.

Entry level Trek goes for around $750 -- I have had 0 problems with it.

You can spend a lot of money to get a lighter bike, but as my trainer says, he can see far better opportunity for weight reductions for me without looking to equipment, if you know what I mean... :P

And like cars, if you wait until the new models come out, most bike shops discount last year's model to move them...

Last edited by 2003S; 07-29-2012 at 09:12 AM.
2003S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 09:51 AM   #5

Garage
Here's an interesting thread from a few weeks ago. One word of note, whether you're purchasing an entry level road bike or one that costs 20k+, proper fit is crucial ! Unfortunately, not only do most bike shops lack skill and knowledge when it comes to fit optimization, very few will spend the time necessary to educate and assist the entry level customer . Having said that, I'd be more than happy to assist anyone here with my years of knowledge and experience . The only catch is that you have to ask me on my newly launched site .

Capo Velo Road Bikes + Forums + Community + Market Place

http://986forum.com/forums/general-discussions/36187-any-serious-cyclists.html
Old 07-30-2012, 05:40 AM   #6

Danger! I'm on your other forum. I posted under show your bike or something like that. There doesn't seem to be a general section or newbie or anything that I could see.
Old 07-30-2012, 05:42 AM   #7

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAAY View Post
Danger! I'm on your other forum. I posted under show your bike or something like that. There doesn't seem to be a general section or newbie or anything that I could see.
I moved your thread to the correct category. Welcome abroad !
Old 07-31-2012, 08:39 PM   #8

Garage
Bike riding on Long Island? Surely you're kidding? It's always open season for bicyclists here!
nieuwhzn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 12:54 PM   #9

Nieuwhzn, where on LI are you? I'm out in Shoreham.
Old 08-01-2012, 04:00 PM   #10

Quote:
Anyone into road race bicycling?
I don't road race, but I ride a road bike. In fact, I also ride a mountain bike.

I'll probably get flamed for this, but check out the reviews on USA Pro Challenge, Road Bike Reviews, Cycling Gear, Maintenance, Fitness, Training | Bicycling Magazine for entry level bikes.
bar10dah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 09:58 PM   #11

Garage
Quote:
Nieuwhzn, where on LI are you? I'm out in Shoreham.
I'm at the other end of William Floyd Parkway.......Shirley.

nieuwhzn is offline   Reply With Quote