Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > New Members - Start here! > New Member Introductions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-12-2024, 04:02 PM   #1
00' Porsche Boxster 2.7L

Smile Deadly | 00' Porsche Boxster

Hello all,

My name is Mike and I recently purchased a 2000' Boxster, 2.7L. (96,000 miles currently)
I have big plans for this car. I stumbled across this forum and believe I have finally found a community of likeminded individuals with significantly higher levels of knowledge and experience than myself.

I'm still new to working on cars, but I have done a few basic tasks.

Here's what I have already done since owning the car:
- Oil Change
- Single DIN Stereo Unit Installed (Got this done professionally, and made the LEDs match the Orange/Amber LEDs of the rest of the interior. It looks very clean and works perfectly with no issues.
- Drilled and Slotted Rotors with Carbon Fiber Ceramic Pads
- All spark plugs and coil packs replaced

Here's a list of things that are currently faulty with my car:
- My car cannot lock. Every time I turn the key in the door lock to lock my car, my car will beep and then my anti-theft alarm will start sounding after about 10-15 seconds.
- The key fob does not work for locking or unlocking my car (potentially just the key-fob battery, but I haven't checked yet)
- My passenger window recently starting making a scratching noise when being operated.
- My ignition cylinder does not return to the ON position like it should. It remains in the START position and the accessories do not power on in this position. I have to manually rotate the key counterclockwise to the ON position after starting my car to get my accessories to power on.
- I believe I need an alignment and/or I need my wheels balanced. My car pulls slightly to the left while driving.

For those of you who are curious, here is a list of things I would like to do with my car:

- New wheels; but I'm considering just paining or dipping them. I currently have the OEM wheels.
- Short Throw Shift Kit
- Cat-Back Exhaust
- New Suspension (I want my car to be lower and stick through corners better)
- Body Kit
- De-Badge (I want to keep the Porsche Badge on the front, but I plan to remove the "Boxster" logo on the rear and replace it with my car's name)
- Potentially want to add a spoiler, but I'm not sure how well that would look and I'm seeking inspiration and advice from those who have done this.
- Replacement Soft Top (Glass window instead of plastic)
- After all of this, I plan to start making more power.

Any and all advice is desired and appreciated.
More to follow, - Mike.

Old 02-12-2024, 05:44 PM   #2
Who's askin'?

Welcome to the party! You've got quite a list there. You'll find lots of information in this forum for each of the topics you've listed.

Don't be discouraged by the nanny's who'll try to dissuade you from modifying the car. Enjoy it the way you intend.

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk
maytag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2024, 09:44 AM   #3

Welcome! Below are the items I addressed shortly after getting mine. Might want to check some of these items on yours.

2001 Boxster s 62k
- water pump - was on its last legs
- one rear wheel bearing - totally shot but not making any noise
- vacuum reservoir- was throwing emission codes
- spark plugs/tubes/coil packs - sounds like you got that covered
- windshield sprayer - hose was disconnected behind the fender liner
- brake fluid flush - one front caliper was dragging
- 987 engine mount - made a big difference in clutch feel and engagement. Mine was cracked and could be checked by looking under the car or behind seats.
- gear oil change - no history of being done
- fuel filter - no history of being done
- 987/997 shifter - would probably go with the Ben uniwerks one instead.
- raceseng circuit sphere shift knob - highest quality part in the interior
- bilstein PSS9 coilovers and corner balance - probably over kill for me I would probably do Koni special actives and M030 springs

- tons of other small things…badges, fewer speakers, etc.

Lots of fun! Lots of money 😂

"Sixty percent of the time, it works every time!"
Danimal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2024, 10:12 AM   #4

Nobody is going to mention IMS bearing? Okay, I'll be that guy...
redpepperracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2024, 06:28 PM   #5
00' Porsche Boxster 2.7L

Thank you for the advice redpepper and danimal.

I saw a poll on this forum regarding manufacture year and it's correlation to IMS bearing failure. It would seem that, statistically, my IMS bearing should be just fine.

If my IMS Bearing shreds itself, that's not too much of a problem. I'll just engine swap the car with something that makes more power.

Dan, thank you for the list of things I should consider checking. When I say that I recently bought this car, I really mean to say that I've had it for about 6 or more months and have been daily driving it for work. Nothing, aside from what I listed in my original post, seems to be wrong with the car. It really is in a pretty good condition mechanically speaking.

Once I can get my car on a lift and get under it myself, I will meticulously check everything I can and I will share my findings here.

I have used an OBDII scanner, and the only code it threw was a misfire in cylinder 3. This was corrected when I replaced all spark plugs and coil packs.

My biggest issue that I'm facing right now is actually that I don't have anywhere to work on my car. I live in an apartment so I'm not allowed to work on my car here, and the nearby military base closed down their auto-hobby shop. It used to have a shop fully stocked with lifts, tools, and just about anything you could ever desire. Servicemembers were able to take their projects there, pay 15 or 20 bucks, and get a bay to themselves.

I will be moving to Florida sometime within the next few months; hopefully once I'm there I will have a good spot to really put some love into this car. Also, I think owning this car in Florida will be a lot more fun than here in Washington State.

Regards,

- Michael