Go Back   986 Forum - for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Announcements > New Member Introductions

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-19-2020, 06:51 PM   #1
Registered User
 
traveno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: Oregon
Posts: 35
Garage
Smile I'm Stephen

Hey everyone, I'm Stephen, 22 years old. I picked up a 986 last summer and I've been a lurker here since then. Decided to get more involved with the forum now, as I've started working on the car now that the weather has gotten cold. I picked it up with ~62k and now it's sitting pretty in the garage with ~65k. Man oh man is this car fun!




__________________
01 986 in Speed Yellow, currently ~65k miles on the clock... and counting!
traveno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2020, 08:39 PM   #2
01 Seal Gray 986 S
 
bg305's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Location: Hudson Valley, NY
Posts: 74
Hi Stephen!

Looks great! Welcome
bg305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2020, 08:44 PM   #3
Racer Boy
 
Racer Boy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 792
That is a great looking car! Where in Oregon are you? I have family in Forest Grove.

Man, I wish that I had something like the Boxster when I was 22 years old!
Racer Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2020, 08:56 PM   #4
Registered User
 
traveno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: Oregon
Posts: 35
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by bg305 View Post
Hi Stephen!

Looks great! Welcome
Thanks! Happy to be here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer Boy View Post
That is a great looking car! Where in Oregon are you? I have family in Forest Grove.

Man, I wish that I had something like the Boxster when I was 22 years old!
Thank you Racer Boy. Owning this car has been a thrill so far. I'm south of Portland. Wilsonville area to be more exact.
__________________
01 986 in Speed Yellow, currently ~65k miles on the clock... and counting!
traveno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2020, 04:14 AM   #5
1998 Boxster Silver/Red
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: 92262
Posts: 1,735
Hi, Stephen.

Welcome! Nice car. Nice color. Nice wheels.

Nice to be 22.
__________________
1998 Porsche Boxster
1986 BMW 325es
2012 Ford Edge Sport

"Ignore the guilt, and take your turn"
Starter986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2020, 04:44 AM   #6
Who's askin'?
 
maytag's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Utah
Posts: 1,943
Quote:
Originally Posted by traveno View Post
Hey everyone, I'm Stephen, 22 years old. I picked up a 986 last summer and I've been a lurker here since then. Decided to get more involved with the forum now, as I've started working on the car now that the weather has gotten cold. I picked it up with ~62k and now it's sitting pretty in the garage with ~65k. Man oh man is this car fun!





Kid's got it all! Haha
Welcome, Stephen!
What sort of work are you going to be doing to the car now that it's cold?

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
maytag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2020, 07:52 AM   #7
Registered User
 
traveno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: Oregon
Posts: 35
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by maytag View Post
Kid's got it all! Haha
Welcome, Stephen!
What sort of work are you going to be doing to the car now that it's cold?

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
Hey maytag! The biggest thing I want to do right now is change the IMS bearing. Iíve got the necessary tools to do it, itís just a matter of putting the car up on stands and taking things apart. I donít know if my bearing is a single or dual row yet. Otherwise, I want to change the rims and give it a new exhaust. Iím thinking the Fabspeed Maxflo with the sport headers.
__________________
01 986 in Speed Yellow, currently ~65k miles on the clock... and counting!
traveno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2020, 10:09 AM   #8
Registered User
 
BYprodriver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: O.C. CA
Posts: 3,407
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by traveno View Post
Thanks! Happy to be here.


Thank you Racer Boy. Owning this car has been a thrill so far. I'm south of Portland. Wilsonville area to be more exact.

Welcome to the forum, My Box looks just like your's except the chrome. I bought mine in Portland in 2003.
__________________
Jerk that is constantly criticzing new forum members and overly advertising my rebuilt engine for sale for a highly inflating price along with other miscellaneous parts accumulated over my 20 years of ownership.
BYprodriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2020, 07:16 PM   #9
Registered User
 
traveno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: Oregon
Posts: 35
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BYprodriver View Post
Welcome to the forum, My Box looks just like your's except the chrome. I bought mine in Portland in 2003.
Awesome! I'll be honest, I don't really dig the chrome. It's fancy, but I think I'd prefer glossy black rims that show off the yellow brake calipers. Yeah, I'm definitely gonna change the rims out.
__________________
01 986 in Speed Yellow, currently ~65k miles on the clock... and counting!
traveno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2020, 08:31 AM   #10
Registered User
 
BYprodriver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: O.C. CA
Posts: 3,407
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by traveno View Post
Awesome! I'll be honest, I don't really dig the chrome. It's fancy, but I think I'd prefer glossy black rims that show off the yellow brake calipers. Yeah, I'm definitely gonna change the rims out.
Yeah I agree.
Attached Images
 
__________________
Jerk that is constantly criticzing new forum members and overly advertising my rebuilt engine for sale for a highly inflating price along with other miscellaneous parts accumulated over my 20 years of ownership.
BYprodriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2020, 08:06 AM   #11
Registered User
 
steved0x's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: FL
Posts: 3,993
Welcome!! Nice car and colors!
steved0x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2020, 01:38 PM   #12
Registered User
 
Allegro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: Amherst, MA
Posts: 42
My car's older brother! A 2000?
I thought all '00-'04 Ss had the single row IMSB.
__________________
2002 Boxster S speed yellow
Allegro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2020, 02:09 PM   #13
Registered User
 
traveno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: Oregon
Posts: 35
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Allegro View Post
My car's older brother! A 2000?
I thought all '00-'04 Ss had the single row IMSB.
It's a 2001. Older by a year than haha. From my research, the 01 can have either the single or dual row. Sort of a gray area year for the car.
__________________
01 986 in Speed Yellow, currently ~65k miles on the clock... and counting!
traveno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2020, 03:08 PM   #14
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: Texas
Posts: 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by traveno View Post
It's a 2001. Older by a year than haha. From my research, the 01 can have either the single or dual row. Sort of a gray area year for the car.
I believe the switch happened in 2000, so it would have to be the early-manufactured 2001's.

I have a 2001 and have no idea what mine is, though. Haven't looked into it too much since I don't have any immediate plans to drop the trans.
__________________
'97 - Silver (rebuilt/stripping)
'99 - Black (rebuilt/sold)
'01 S - Rainforest Green (daily)
'03 S - Orient Red (sold)
Fiddlebog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2020, 06:37 PM   #15
Registered User
 
traveno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: Oregon
Posts: 35
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddlebog View Post
I believe the switch happened in 2000, so it would have to be the early-manufactured 2001's.

I have a 2001 and have no idea what mine is, though. Haven't looked into it too much since I don't have any immediate plans to drop the trans.
I'm getting close to dropping the trans here, so I'll soon find out. I'm in no rush. I figure I will order a new correct bearing once I find out what's currently in there.
__________________
01 986 in Speed Yellow, currently ~65k miles on the clock... and counting!
traveno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2020, 08:49 AM   #16
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: Texas
Posts: 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by traveno View Post
I'm getting close to dropping the trans here, so I'll soon find out. I'm in no rush. I figure I will order a new correct bearing once I find out what's currently in there.
I'm interested in hearing about your results
__________________
'97 - Silver (rebuilt/stripping)
'99 - Black (rebuilt/sold)
'01 S - Rainforest Green (daily)
'03 S - Orient Red (sold)
Fiddlebog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2020, 06:34 PM   #17
Registered User
 
traveno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: Oregon
Posts: 35
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddlebog View Post
I'm interested in hearing about your results
Then I'll be sure to let you know when I get there!
__________________
01 986 in Speed Yellow, currently ~65k miles on the clock... and counting!
traveno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2020, 10:49 AM   #18
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 35
Welcome to the club! I bought my first Boxster ('99 2.5l) as a 25th birthday gift to myself. It still stands as the best birthday gift that I've ever received, but don't tell my family/wife about that.

I eventually sold that car and how 10+ years later I'm back in a 986 ('03 3.2l), and I continue to love the experience!

Be sure to maintain a good rainy day fund because Porsche parts are never cheap (even if you can save on the labor via DYI). Also on that note, don't be shy about attempting some DYI maintenance and upgrading! Get the Pelican Parts DIY book for starters.

Happy Motoring!
Spyder_Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2020, 09:03 PM   #19
Registered User
 
traveno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: Oregon
Posts: 35
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spyder_Man View Post
Welcome to the club! I bought my first Boxster ('99 2.5l) as a 25th birthday gift to myself. It still stands as the best birthday gift that I've ever received, but don't tell my family/wife about that.

I eventually sold that car and how 10+ years later I'm back in a 986 ('03 3.2l), and I continue to love the experience!

Be sure to maintain a good rainy day fund because Porsche parts are never cheap (even if you can save on the labor via DYI). Also on that note, don't be shy about attempting some DYI maintenance and upgrading! Get the Pelican Parts DIY book for starters.

Happy Motoring!
Thanks Spyder Man. I enjoy wrenching on my own stuff. I have this innate feeling that other people won't treat my stuff as I would, so I do all my own work wherever possible. So I know it's done right! I've already picked up the Bentley manual since I'm doing the IMS service. The Pelican Parts 101 projects is next on my list.
__________________
01 986 in Speed Yellow, currently ~65k miles on the clock... and counting!
traveno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2020, 09:36 AM   #20
jcp
Registered User
 
jcp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2019
Location: central okla
Posts: 46
Wow!!!Love the yellow!!

jcp is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On




All times are GMT -8. The time now is 09:51 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2018 Pelican Parts, LLC - Posts may be archived for display on the Pelican Parts Website -    DMCA Registered Agent Contact Page