Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > New Members - Start here! > New Member Introductions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-28-2020, 09:34 AM   #1
jcp

Introduction....finally.

Hi guys!! I'm Jim. Been lurking and using the forum information extensively.
Acquired a '99 Boxster Base 5 speed in Nov. 2019. 63000 miles. I've been working on it ever since....slow and steady. Being a retired machinist everything has to be just so so, making progress pretty slow. I've changed to engine oil, checked the filter (clean of debris), changed the air filter, changed the p/s fluid, flushed the brakes ( have a power bleeder coming to do the clutch), cleaned the MAF, changed the front strut bump stops, changed the trans/diff oil, replaced the tires, moved the frunk emergency cable for easy access, repaired the fuel tank door lock, cured the heat/AC vent debris problem, repaired the under engine cover and a myriad of other small problems.
Still need to change the struts and figure out the slight steering wheel shimmy.
With the help of the forum threads and you guys, I'm sure I can get there.
I've owned several Corvettes, a Miata R pkg car and a Triumph Spitfire other than Detroit iron. The Porsche is by far the easiest to work on.
PS..tried to upload a pic but so far haven't got it done....
Ahh!!! figured it out!!

Attached Images

Last edited by jcp; 02-28-2020 at 09:59 AM.
jcp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2020, 09:50 AM   #2
Who's askin'?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcp View Post
I've been working on it ever since....slow and steady. Being a retired machinist everything has to be just so so, making progress pretty slow.
Welcome.... Finally!

We'll remember this about you (your quote, above) when it's time for you to sell that car (if ever). I LOVE buying cars from someone with a meticulous nature.

Glad you're here!
Start a thread about the front-end shimmy, if you feel like it? there's some smart fellers here.
maytag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2020, 10:03 AM   #3
jcp

Thanks for the reply Maytag..... I'm still researching the shimmy....like to do it on my own if possible. Consensus seems to be tie rod ends or diagonal braces. Need to get under the car and see if I can find any type of slack.
Old 02-28-2020, 10:05 AM   #4
1998 Boxster Silver/Red

Quote:
Thanks for the reply Maytag..... I'm still researching the shimmy....like to do it on my own if possible. Consensus seems to be tie rod ends or diagonal braces. Need to get under the car and see if I can find any type of slack.
Welcome to the forum! If you're looking for slack, Maytag's your guy.
Old 02-28-2020, 10:08 AM   #5
jcp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starter986 View Post
If you're looking for slack, Maytag's your guy.
I'm gonna suppose you guys are buds.........
Old 02-28-2020, 11:05 AM   #6
Who's askin'?

Quote:
I'm gonna suppose you guys are buds.........
Oh I'm buds with everyone. It's just that some people can't stand me. :dance:

I've occasionally wondered, if we were to get all the personalities here together for dinner at Chili's, whose table I'd want to sit at. I'm pretty confident that if Starter, Piper and myself were at the same table, we'd quickly be asked to leave. But it'd be entertaining as hell until then. hahaha
maytag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2020, 01:03 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by maytag View Post

I've occasionally wondered, if we were to get all the personalities here together for dinner at Chili's, whose table I'd want to sit at. I'm pretty confident that if Starter, Piper and myself were at the same table, we'd quickly be asked to leave. But it'd be entertaining as hell until then. hahaha
What? I had you and Piper down for sharing their date night 2 for $20 meal w/ apps, entrees and dessert.

Boy was I wrong
Old 02-28-2020, 01:12 PM   #8
Motorist & Coffee Drinker

Garage
There have been quite a few Oklahoma members over the years, but they come and go. I'm in northeastern Ok among the Cherokee nation. Redtele58 is to the southwest. I've met a few from the OKC area and Tulsa. Cimarron PCA is a good group, but I haven't had time to participate for the last year or so. If you need some used parts let me know. I'm not much of a seller but after buying too many 986s in various condition over the years I've got some spares and could probably meet part way towards OKC on a good day.

Old 02-28-2020, 01:52 PM   #9
1998 Boxster Silver/Red

Quote:

We'd have the liveliest table in the house!
Old 02-28-2020, 04:05 PM   #10

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starter986 View Post
We'd have the liveliest table in the house!
HAHA! That would be soooo much fun!
piper6909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2020, 04:43 PM   #11
jcp

Quote:
Originally Posted by 78F350 View Post
If you need some used parts let me know. I'm not much of a seller but after buying too many 986s in various condition over the years I've got some spares and could probably meet part way towards OKC on a good day.

Thanks for this offer!! I've read many of your posts lately gathering info for direction on my '99 repairs.
Old 02-29-2020, 12:47 PM   #12

Garage
Quote:
Hi guys!! I'm Jim. Been lurking and using the forum information extensively.
Acquired a '99 Boxster Base 5 speed in Nov. 2019. 63000 miles. I've been working on it ever since....slow and steady. Being a retired machinist everything has to be just so so, making progress pretty slow. I've changed to engine oil, checked the filter (clean of debris), changed the air filter, changed the p/s fluid, flushed the brakes ( have a power bleeder coming to do the clutch), cleaned the MAF, changed the front strut bump stops, changed the trans/diff oil, replaced the tires, moved the frunk emergency cable for easy access, repaired the fuel tank door lock, cured the heat/AC vent debris problem, repaired the under engine cover and a myriad of other small problems.
Still need to change the struts and figure out the slight steering wheel shimmy.
With the help of the forum threads and you guys, I'm sure I can get there.
I've owned several Corvettes, a Miata R pkg car and a Triumph Spitfire other than Detroit iron. The Porsche is by far the easiest to work on.
PS..tried to upload a pic but so far haven't got it done....
Ahh!!! figured it out!!

Most of the time shimmy from the steering wheel is caused by front wheel/Tire balance, especially a light front end like a 986.