Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > New Members - Start here! > New Member Introductions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-27-2019, 07:53 AM   #1

Hi everyone, just joined the forum. Looked at used boxsters for awhile, did my research and bought a 2000 blue base a couple weeks ago. Already had the IMS done but the engine still went a week after I got it.

Trying to decide what to do now, really like the car but am hesitant to get a junkyard pull, and built engines are up there. Parting out seems like a headache, and selling as a project car seems unlikely.

Does anyone here know a good place to get an engine?

Randeau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2019, 10:55 AM   #2

Garage
Now is the time to decide if you are all in or out. If you are in find a good 2000-2002 3.2 engine & you can call it a upgrade project. If you want to want to be budjet minded sell what you have & move on. Either way there is a good Porsche salvage yard in N.C. that will buy your Box or sell you a good engine.

D.C. Automotive

I worked 5years as a new car test driver & the 2000 Boxster S is the funniest car I ever drove. As soon as I quit that job I bought a 2000 Boxster S.
Old 08-27-2019, 11:15 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYprodriver View Post
Now is the time to decide if you are all in or out. If you are in find a good 2000-2002 3.2 engine & you can call it a upgrade project. If you want to want to be budjet minded sell what you have & move on. Either way there is a good Porsche salvage yard in N.C. that will buy your Box or sell you a good engine.

D.C. Automotive

I worked 5years as a new car test driver & the 2000 Boxster S is the funniest car I ever drove. As soon as I quit that job I bought a 2000 Boxster S.
Thanks for sharing that, I’m not totally budget focused, but dropping $20k and a motor isn’t feasible at this point.

I will definitely call them as starting with a 3.2 upgrade would be great.
Old 08-27-2019, 11:26 AM   #4
Who's askin'?

Welcome. Sorry for the loss.

BYProvider also has a NASTY motor I'm sure he'd part with, if you wanted to go all out. :-)

But this is, as he suggested, a gut-check moment; Do you want to enjoy the Porsche Boxster experience? 'cuz that experience seems to, sooner or later, include what you're experiencing already. Don't feel badly; you could've spent a fortune on the car, done all the PPI's money could buy, and still lost the motor a week later. There are only so many things that can be predicted.

If you're "in", then a used motor is the cheapest option. Based on the way you considered and then dismissed the "part-out", I'd guess you are pretty handy, and not afraid of a DIY engine swap? IF you're paying somebody else to do it, I'd suggest you sell the 'roller and buy another car; you'd be into it well past what you paid for the car. For a used motor, there are a couple of parts sellers here. David-Porsche-parts and Woody are both top-notch. I'm sure there are others.

As a roller, I'm not sure the base is worth a ton. IF it's in really good condition, has some desirable extras on it, etc, you might get a couple grand. Recently a near-perfect 'S' with all the goodies on it (Coilovers, Carbon hood, Sweet Aftermarket wheels, etc etc) and a bad motor sold here for $3k.

But if you're not going to pursue the "Boxster Frenzy", then dump it and get out now. You'll lose money trying to get it running to sell it.
maytag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2019, 01:41 PM   #5

*Duplicate Post

Last edited by Randeau; 08-28-2019 at 12:31 PM. Reason: Duplicate post
Old 08-27-2019, 02:19 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by maytag View Post

BYProvider also has a NASTY motor I'm sure he'd part with, if you wanted to go all out. :-)

But this is, as he suggested, a gut-check moment; Do you want to enjoy the Porsche Boxster experience? 'cuz that experience seems to, sooner or later, include what you're experiencing already. Don't feel badly; you could've spent a fortune on the car, done all the PPI's money could buy, and still lost the motor a week later. There are only so many things that can be predicted.

If you're "in", then a used motor is the cheapest option. Based on the way you considered and then dismissed the "part-out", I'd guess you are pretty handy, and not afraid of a DIY engine swap? IF you're paying somebody else to do it, I'd suggest you sell the 'roller and buy another car; you'd be into it well past what you paid for the car. For a used motor, there are a couple of parts sellers here. David-Porsche-parts and Woody are both top-notch. I'm sure there are others.

As a roller, I'm not sure the base is worth a ton. IF it's in really good condition, has some desirable extras on it, etc, you might get a couple grand. Recently a near-perfect 'S' with all the goodies on it (Coilovers, Carbon hood, Sweet Aftermarket wheels, etc etc) and a bad motor sold here for $3k.

But if you're not going to pursue the "Boxster Frenzy", then dump it and get out now. You'll lose money trying to get it running to sell it.
Great info! And I appreciate the realistic perspective as I agree crap happens.

At this point it’s mental wrestling and I can’t decide. I’m fairly handy and have done an engine swap before (granted it was a front engine RWD). Doing the swap in my garage is totally feasible if I can find an engine I’m comfortable with. I’d love to do an upgrade swap but can’t weld motor mounts and am only stereo wiring qualified with electrical diagrams. If I do swap the engine I would plan to keep it and do even more.

I think it’s in good condition and has a lot of positives, and if I couldn’t get $2-$2,500 then I’d be happy to leave it in the garage until I have more money this at it.

What are your thoughts on replacing the IMS when swapping? I’ve heard it’s easy and also heard you can mess up the timing?
Old 08-28-2019, 05:38 AM   #7
2003 S, Arctic Silver, M6

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randeau View Post
Already had the IMS done but the engine still went a week after I got it.
You say the engine 'went'. Not sure what you mean or what damage was done. Do you have more details on the failure.
paulofto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2019, 06:56 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulofto View Post
You say the engine 'went'. Not sure what you mean or what damage was done. Do you have more details on the failure.
Stalled and would not start, metal and plastic in the oil.
Old 08-28-2019, 07:08 AM   #9

Garage
Quote:
Hi everyone, just joined the forum. Looked at used boxsters for awhile, did my research and bought a 2000 blue base a couple weeks ago. Already had the IMS done but the engine still went a week after I got it.

Trying to decide what to do now, really like the car but am hesitant to get a junkyard pull, and built engines are up there. Parting out seems like a headache, and selling as a project car seems unlikely.

Does anyone here know a good place to get an engine?
Since the IMS was "just done" it may have been replaced because the original had recently failed.
Old 08-28-2019, 07:10 AM   #10
Who's askin'?

Quote:
Stalled and would not start, metal and plastic in the oil.
Won't start? Or won't turn?

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
maytag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2019, 08:31 AM   #11

Quote:
Won't start? Or won't turn?

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
Turns, doesn’t sound good. Both Cam sensors throwing codes.
Old 08-28-2019, 08:50 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYprodriver View Post
Since the IMS was "just done" it may have been replaced because the original had recently failed.
Supposedly it was done 15k miles ago. My thoughts were debris from the original may have killed the new one.
Old 08-28-2019, 08:52 AM   #13

Quote:

Thought I replied yesterday but evidently it didn’t go through. If I can find an engine I’m willing to tackle it, but may pursue selling if I can get around $2,500, which may be a stretch.
Old 08-30-2019, 12:40 PM   #14

For anyone that is still following, I did put the car in the for sale section, but I’m also working with Dave on an engine. He’s been a great help so far
Old 09-04-2019, 07:05 PM   #15

Garage
Just curious, is there any proof that it is the IMSB? There are other things that happen (like chain tensioners etc.) but the IMSB always gets blamed. It not being the IMSB may or may not make a difference but I read a long thread on a 996 engine rebuild, with similar symptoms but it was not the IMSB and the engine was rebuilt.
https://rennlist.com/forums/rennlist-canada/706081-dragged-home-one-of-these.html
1987 924S 5-speed (Sold) - Blue 2000 Boxster 5 spd (Sold)
elgyqc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2019, 06:10 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by elgyqc View Post
Just curious, is there any proof that it is the IMSB? There are other things that happen (like chain tensioners etc.) but the IMSB always gets blamed. It not being the IMSB may or may not make a difference but I read a long thread on a 996 engine rebuild, with similar symptoms but it was not the IMSB and the engine was rebuilt.
https://rennlist.com/forums/rennlist-canada/706081-dragged-home-one-of-these.html
I think it’s possible, but with both cam sensors throwing codes I was leaning more towards IMS. Hopefully I can start pulling the motor this weekend.