Thread: New member
View Single Post
Old 08-27-2019, 11:26 AM   #4
maytag
Who's askin'?

Welcome. Sorry for the loss.

BYProvider also has a NASTY motor I'm sure he'd part with, if you wanted to go all out. :-)

But this is, as he suggested, a gut-check moment; Do you want to enjoy the Porsche Boxster experience? 'cuz that experience seems to, sooner or later, include what you're experiencing already. Don't feel badly; you could've spent a fortune on the car, done all the PPI's money could buy, and still lost the motor a week later. There are only so many things that can be predicted.

If you're "in", then a used motor is the cheapest option. Based on the way you considered and then dismissed the "part-out", I'd guess you are pretty handy, and not afraid of a DIY engine swap? IF you're paying somebody else to do it, I'd suggest you sell the 'roller and buy another car; you'd be into it well past what you paid for the car. For a used motor, there are a couple of parts sellers here. David-Porsche-parts and Woody are both top-notch. I'm sure there are others.

As a roller, I'm not sure the base is worth a ton. IF it's in really good condition, has some desirable extras on it, etc, you might get a couple grand. Recently a near-perfect 'S' with all the goodies on it (Coilovers, Carbon hood, Sweet Aftermarket wheels, etc etc) and a bad motor sold here for $3k.

But if you're not going to pursue the "Boxster Frenzy", then dump it and get out now. You'll lose money trying to get it running to sell it.
maytag is offline   Reply With Quote