Thread: New member
View Single Post
Old 08-28-2019, 08:52 AM   #13
Randeau

Quote:
Originally Posted by maytag View Post
Welcome. Sorry for the loss.

BYProvider also has a NASTY motor I'm sure he'd part with, if you wanted to go all out. :-)

But this is, as he suggested, a gut-check moment; Do you want to enjoy the Porsche Boxster experience? 'cuz that experience seems to, sooner or later, include what you're experiencing already. Don't feel badly; you could've spent a fortune on the car, done all the PPI's money could buy, and still lost the motor a week later. There are only so many things that can be predicted.

If you're "in", then a used motor is the cheapest option. Based on the way you considered and then dismissed the "part-out", I'd guess you are pretty handy, and not afraid of a DIY engine swap? IF you're paying somebody else to do it, I'd suggest you sell the 'roller and buy another car; you'd be into it well past what you paid for the car. For a used motor, there are a couple of parts sellers here. David-Porsche-parts and Woody are both top-notch. I'm sure there are others.

As a roller, I'm not sure the base is worth a ton. IF it's in really good condition, has some desirable extras on it, etc, you might get a couple grand. Recently a near-perfect 'S' with all the goodies on it (Coilovers, Carbon hood, Sweet Aftermarket wheels, etc etc) and a bad motor sold here for $3k.

But if you're not going to pursue the "Boxster Frenzy", then dump it and get out now. You'll lose money trying to get it running to sell it.
Thought I replied yesterday but evidently it didn’t go through. If I can find an engine I’m willing to tackle it, but may pursue selling if I can get around $2,500, which may be a stretch.
Randeau is offline   Reply With Quote