Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > New Members - Start here! > New Member Introductions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-14-2014, 06:33 AM   #1
mjr

antfreeze

anyone know best antifreeze for 986 cant afford Porsche stuff

mjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 07:04 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjr View Post
anyone know best antifreeze for 986 cant afford Porsche stuff
Use the Porsche stuff. It's cheaper in the long run versus some cheap stuff.
89 944 S2
78 911SC
Porsche9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 08:37 AM   #3

Garage
Try Pentofrost SF (Pentosin). I get it from Advanced Auto Parts. But possible other places could be OReilys Auto
* 3.6L LN block, 06 heads, Carrillo H rods, IDP with 987 intake, Oil mods, LN IMS. * Spec II Clutch, 3.2L S Spec P-P FW. * D2 shocks, GT3 arms & and links, Spacers front and rear * Weight reduced, No carpet, AC deleted, Remote PS pump, PS pump deleted. Recaro Pole position seats, Brey crouse ext. 5 point harness, NHP sport exhaust
jsceash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 08:53 AM   #4

Garage
OP is in the UK; not sure they have Advance Auto or O'Reillys.

Stick with the Porsche stuff. If you can't afford it, you may be driving the wrong car. Sorry.
Old 11-14-2014, 09:23 AM   #5
Motorist & Coffee Drinker

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Porsche9 View Post
Use the Porsche stuff. It's cheaper in the long run versus some cheap stuff.
I pulled this off of a badly neglected engine. I'm guessing that the previous owner had mixed some cheaper stuff in with the Porsche coolant.

78F350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 09:44 AM   #6

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjc2050 View Post
OP is in the UK; not sure they have Advance Auto or O'Reillys.

Stick with the Porsche stuff. If you can't afford it, you may be driving the wrong car. Sorry.
Your probably right. However Pentosin products are made in Germany and distributed in the UK. I've also read in some forms this is the same repackaged for Porsche
* 3.6L LN block, 06 heads, Carrillo H rods, IDP with 987 intake, Oil mods, LN IMS. * Spec II Clutch, 3.2L S Spec P-P FW. * D2 shocks, GT3 arms & and links, Spacers front and rear * Weight reduced, No carpet, AC deleted, Remote PS pump, PS pump deleted. Recaro Pole position seats, Brey crouse ext. 5 point harness, NHP sport exhaust
Old 11-14-2014, 10:24 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsceash View Post
Your probably right. However Pentosin products are made in Germany and distributed in the UK. I've also read in some forms this is the same repackaged for Porsche
We have seen literally buckets full of the gel in the photo above, some of which totally plugged the radiators. When it happens, it ain't pretty, and creates much bigger hot spots than bits from the water pump impeller when it craps out.

So when you start adding another product to a system already containing Porsche coolant, regardless of what country it is made in, you have to ask yourself, "Are you feeling lucky?"
Old 11-14-2014, 12:47 PM   #8

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JFP in PA View Post
We have seen literally buckets full of the gel in the photo above, some of which totally plugged the radiators. When it happens, it ain't pretty, and creates much bigger hot spots than bits from the water pump impeller when it craps out.

So when you start adding another product to a system already containing Porsche coolant, regardless of what country it is made in, you have to ask yourself, "Are you feeling lucky?"
MSDS sheet comparison. The numbers that are listed are the chemical codes from an international database I believe they are identical. Could they be in differing concentration I guess. Would that make them curdle Emphatically NO.

Pentosin Pentafrost SF
Active ingredients
Ethylene Glycol (107-21-1)
Diethylene Glycol (111-46-6)
Sebacic Acid (111-20-6)
Sodium Hydroxide (1310-73-2)
Water (7732-18-5)
Denatonium Benzonate (3734-33-6)
Die and Defoamer

Porsche 000 043 301 05
Active ingredients
Sebacic Acid (111-20-6)
Water (7732-18-5)
Die and Defoamer

Last edited by jsceash; 11-14-2014 at 12:51 PM.
Old 11-14-2014, 02:19 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsceash View Post
MSDS sheet comparison. The numbers that are listed are the chemical codes from an international database I believe they are identical. Could they be in differing concentration I guess. Would that make them curdle Emphatically NO.

Pentosin Pentafrost SF
Active ingredients
Sebacic Acid (111-20-6)
Water (7732-18-5)
Die and Defoamer

Porsche 000 043 301 05
Active ingredients
Sebacic Acid (111-20-6)
Water (7732-18-5)
Die and Defoamer
Notice that the MSD is only required to list what the international treaty identifies as potentially toxic, mutagenic, carcinogenic, or environmentally hazardous ingredient's, and then only if they are above certain concentration levels, but not anything else, like the dye ,defoamers, surfactants, stabilizers, etc. which can be at levels below that required for reporting. The same treaty allows the compounder to withhold the formulation concentrations levels which are considered "proprietary" information. And could the non listed ingredients cause gelation, sure, you have no idea what they are. So the MSD only gives you certain information, but not everything.

Now if you totally drained the system and flushed it with water to remove the OEM coolant, you could use just about any brand compatible with alloy engine's with no problems.

But if you are going to start mixing brands, well, it's your car and your money, proceed however you are so inclined, shops are only too happy to charge people to clean out the gel when it forms.................the last Porsche we did took over four hours of shop time, plus materials.

Last edited by JFP in PA; 11-14-2014 at 03:10 PM.
JFP in PA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014, 07:21 PM   #10

Not knowing when the last time, if ever, the coolant was changed on my 99, or what the heck is even in there, I plan on doing a full flush and change in the spring. I've read a few people using Valvoline DEX COOL, so just for fun I called Valvoline this morning. The CS Tech told me that DEX COOl is indeed the correct formula for the car, and even claimed they actually make it for Porsche.
Old 12-18-2014, 05:20 AM   #11

Buy the VW stuff. Slightly less $ than Porsche's, if you need to save coin. Or run distilled water and Water Wetter, and stay out of the cold.
Flavor 987S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 03:20 PM   #12

Garage
It may sound harsh but if you can't afford the correct fluids for a porsche you need to get out of owning one and get a honda. All it does is create more problems and passes it on to the next owner.

Sent from my SM-G900F

2x Range Rover Classic & CSK
Bruce Wayne is offline   Reply With Quote