Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > New Members - Start here! > New Member Introductions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-20-2014, 02:31 PM   #1

04 boxster s engine swap

I swap the engine on my 04 boxster S from a 03 boxster S. The car did not start, the starter does not engage, do i need to reprogram the computer? Do i need to swap the key switch and the dme? Before i did it, i read that was a straight swap, what i am missing?
Help is need it.
Thanks to anyone that can help me out.

carlosnolasco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 03:21 PM   #2

Garage
Are you still trying to get that flooded 2004 Boxster Spyder from New Jersey running. If so what have you done to it so far.
* 3.6L LN block, 06 heads, Carrillo H rods, IDP with 987 intake, Oil mods, LN IMS. * Spec II Clutch, 3.2L S Spec P-P FW. * D2 shocks, GT3 arms & and links, Spacers front and rear * Weight reduced, No carpet, AC deleted, Remote PS pump, PS pump deleted. Recaro Pole position seats, Brey crouse ext. 5 point harness, NHP sport exhaust
jsceash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 09:27 PM   #3

Question 04 boxster S engine swap

I replaced the harness and installed an engine from an 03 boxster S, finally after 7 months I was ready to fire up the engine, but it did not. Everything on the electrical part is looking good, but when you turn the key the starter does not engage. I read that maybe I need to replace the switch key or reprogram the computer(DME?) to communicate with the engine. What do you think? any advice?
Thanks
Old 10-21-2014, 02:12 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlosnolasco View Post
I replaced the harness and installed an engine from an 03 boxster S, finally after 7 months I was ready to fire up the engine, but it did not. Everything on the electrical part is looking good, but when you turn the key the starter does not engage. I read that maybe I need to replace the switch key or reprogram the computer(DME?) to communicate with the engine. What do you think? any advice?
Thanks
If you have swapped either the DME or Immobilizer from one car to the other, you need some programing.
Old 10-21-2014, 05:35 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFP in PA View Post
If you have swapped either the DME or Immobilizer from one car to the other, you need some programing.
The key, immobilizer and the dmd all have to be mated.

I only mention the key specifically as I know of at least two incidences folks
contacted me about this issue -- and they forgot to get the key
programmed to be accepted by the immobilizer.

Mike
seningen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 07:48 AM   #6

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsceash View Post
Are you still trying to get that flooded 2004 Boxster Spyder from New Jersey running. If so what have you done to it so far.
If this is still that car it had sat in salt water with the battery still attached long enough that it corroded all the contact on the fuse panel. My guess is still that there isn't a good electrical or electronic component in the car. You will probably need to replace the Immobilizer, ECU, Air bag module and any other part that sat in water. That's a lot of parts it had water up to the dashboard because the entire main fuse panel had white oxidation on every contact point.
* 3.6L LN block, 06 heads, Carrillo H rods, IDP with 987 intake, Oil mods, LN IMS. * Spec II Clutch, 3.2L S Spec P-P FW. * D2 shocks, GT3 arms & and links, Spacers front and rear * Weight reduced, No carpet, AC deleted, Remote PS pump, PS pump deleted. Recaro Pole position seats, Brey crouse ext. 5 point harness, NHP sport exhaust
Old 10-21-2014, 08:29 AM   #7

04 boxster S engine swap

Thanks everybody for the replay
I replaced everything under the seat, immobilizer and all the connectors also the air bag module, etc. Remember that all the parts are coming from the 03 so I think that the next step is to replace the ignition switch or program the key to communicate with the immobilizer. The dashboard lighted it up and most of the electrical parts are working, lights, blinking, stop, etc. The only thing that is not working right now is the doors windows, but we know that we need to replace the doors plugs and retested. I am planning to go over there on Thursday, so I will keep you posted. Any other advice that I need to keep in mind?
Thanks in advance
Old 10-21-2014, 09:10 AM   #8

Garage
OK you said you replaced the immobilizer. Did you get a key fob (the plastic part the key blade goes into) with the immobilizer and the ECU from the same car. Generally you can purchase all 3 from the same car which should be the same model and year as your car. In your case a 2003 or 2004 Boxster S with an automatic transmission would be the best match.
Old 10-21-2014, 09:20 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlosnolasco View Post
Thanks everybody for the replay
I replaced everything under the seat, immobilizer and all the connectors also the air bag module, etc. Remember that all the parts are coming from the 03 so I think that the next step is to replace the ignition switch or program the key to communicate with the immobilizer. The dashboard lighted it up and most of the electrical parts are working, lights, blinking, stop, etc. The only thing that is not working right now is the doors windows, but we know that we need to replace the doors plugs and retested. I am planning to go over there on Thursday, so I will keep you posted. Any other advice that I need to keep in mind?
Thanks in advance
Pull the blade of the old key and insert it into your 03 FOB.

I think that will work for you.

Mike
seningen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 09:23 AM   #10

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by seningen View Post
Pull the blade of the old key and insert it into your 03 FOB.

I think that will work for you.

Mike
Porsche 911, Cayman, Boxster (987/997) key and remote replacement as cheap as possible (and battery) - YouTube

This link shows how to remove the blade, and install it. the key fob may be different in the video but they work the same as the older style Boxster ones
Old 10-21-2014, 09:54 AM   #11

04 boxster S engine swap

I can use all the parts needed from the 03 and I have both cars side by side at Mussante Motor Sports. I drove the car from RI to Connecticut, around 2 hours to go to Mussante Motors Sports, so the car was working. So if I need any part i can use it.
Old 11-03-2014, 04:14 AM   #12

Welcome to family.
sophie18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 06:06 PM   #13

Transmission flush tool

Could somebody post a picture of the tool or machine to do a complete transmission flush for the Boxster? How much could cost? how could I check if I am low on transmission fluid?
Old 11-22-2014, 08:18 PM   #14

Blinking light

The car started, but now I have a blinking light on the dash board from P or Drive or any selection to 4, also the car move slowly when you hit the gas, like is in 4th gear, what I need to check for this?
Thanks
Old 11-22-2014, 08:54 PM   #15
On the slippery slope

Garage
are you working on the car or is a mechanic from Mussante Motors Sports doing the work?
2014 Porsche Performance Driving School
2020 BMW X3, 2013 Ram 1500, 2016 Cmax, 2004 F-150 "Big Red"
JayG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2014, 09:45 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayG View Post
are you working on the car or is a mechanic from Mussante Motors Sports doing the work?
I am working with a friend of mine. I towed the car from Mussante Motor Sports. They did the IMS, water pump, MAF, coil pak, etc. but the car was blinking and they explained that the car was not communicating between the engine and tranny. Also they said that they replaced the tranny oil, but when I checked it here the oil was very sluggish and had a bad smell, so I don`t think that they changed it. Also like I said, when I drained the oil, it was only less than 3 qts that came out. I replaced the filter and filled with 5 qts and it looks like it needs more, because not oil came out by the filler hole after the 5 qts when in. I am planning tomorrow to complete it. What do you think about this situation and what is your advice? I am not mechanic, but and enthusiast trying to learn and who can not afford to pay the dealer, if is something that I can avoid. I paid Mussante more than 3000.00 just for the labor.

Last edited by carlosnolasco; 11-22-2014 at 09:47 PM.