Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > New Members - Start here! > New Member Introductions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-19-2013, 11:12 PM   #1

To buy or not to buy.. Lookin at Boxsters

Hello Every One!

So, I am looking to add to my collection of vehicles and Its time to fullfill another dream car and get a Porsche. After mulling over options, I am looking twords a Boxster...

I am trying to determine my options and what are the best years to shoot for... One key thing I would love is to find a Purple one.. Or Silver... Or something with out the Baby poo yellow interior.

I have read alot about the infamous IMS issue and it looks like the failure rate is 1-3% on 97-99 models and that would be fine with me. I'd rather put it in the back of my mind and say my prayers, as money will be a little tight after purchase... Am i correct in this thinking? I generally only buy cars with over 100K on them and ONLY buy cars with a thorough PPI, however unsure if this is smart or not on a Porsche.

I am used to Mercedes and european cars, so I am aware of added costs during maintence and such, but how hard is a general service on a boxster? What is an average cost for a 5K service (my intervel).... How about brakes? I've read boxsters eat them....

Besides the IMS issue, what else do i need to be wary of? I have read Boxsters are very reliable and from Consumer Reports to other groups on line, alot of people have few complaints with there Boxsters. I am more interested in a manual transmission unit than the tiptronic, but, if i got an awesome deal on a tip tronic, would I be betting on failure? What about other stuff??? I don't want lots of doo dads and gizmos.. The less crap the better (I drive an almost plain 2001 E320 wagon save for the Real Leather and the base package, it doesn't even have butt warmers)

If 97-99 is a good range, My *IDEAL* Boxster would have just the sport package on it .. I need cruise control at the very least. Mercedes has an interweb program that lets you look up build sheets and so forth.. Does Porsche do this??

Thanks in advance and I apppricate all the help you can provide...

PS: I will have no regrets, even with the IMS.. The IMS is a dead horse thats been beaten alot and seems to have popped up in full force after 2000... Crossing my fingers, legs and toes and saying my prayers will keep it rolling. That and making sure I can drive it like a Porsche should be!

travlincub321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 11:36 PM   #2

AutoTrader.com[POR[][]]&minPrice=5000&listingId=354277455&listingIndex=1& Log=0

Thats a Boxster I would Reject... Read the carfax.. Wrecked 5 times
Old 09-20-2013, 04:09 AM   #3

I am on the fence about selling mine. I have an '01 with 50k miles, and several upgrades. I would be more than happy to discuss with you my car more or help you with any questions on another purchase. One thing I can say about the car is that it has provided me nothing but fun, and the community, specifcally those on this site, are more than helpful with any problem you may encounter. A OPorsche Certified Inspection is a must. I looked at a few cars only over internet, vontacted seller and asked them to take it to a local Porsche shop for the inspection, and I paid over the phone. The reason they had no issue on doing this is that I explained to them that even if I did not purchase thie vehicle, I would provide them with the results of the inspection, which is of value to them.
dennis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 10:28 AM   #4

Hi Dennis
I don't want to hijack this thread. But I noticed that you are from NY.
Any chance you are from Long Island? Can you recommend a Porsche mechanic?
Thanks
JLPorsche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 10:57 AM   #5

Porsche does not have VIN based-build sheet database like MB does. It's a pity. Even a stealership can't look it up for you. You have to take down all the numbers off the sticker on the bottom of the frunk lid and research them.

The older the boxster, the worse the build quality. Buy the newest one you can find, preferrably an 03 S or younger.... and get the S for sure.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 01:06 AM   #6

Thanks!

My short list is a SLK320, Boxster, Z3, 350Z btw

My max budget is 10K...

I am rather confused... I've read the IMS is much less of an issue in the 98-99 but then you say there build quality is crap? I'd rather deal with a few of those issue vs IMS....

Also, The S is too much car for my blood.. The simple, standard Boxster I prefer.
Old 09-21-2013, 05:39 AM   #7

Thumbs down on the 350Z...The SLK is a long island housewives car. The Z3 has no luggage space.
heliguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 06:19 AM   #8

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by heliguy View Post
Thumbs down on the 350Z...The SLK is a long island housewives car. The Z3 has no luggage space.
+1 350Z and 370Z Boxster test drove all three on the same curvy section of road . I could not get either Nissan to the same speed. I almost turned the 350Z. Allot of roll compared to the Boxster.
* 3.6L LN block, 06 heads, Carrillo H rods, IDP with 987 intake, Oil mods, LN IMS. * Spec II Clutch, 3.2L S Spec P-P FW. * D2 shocks, GT3 arms & and links, Spacers front and rear * Weight reduced, No carpet, AC deleted, Remote PS pump, PS pump deleted. Recaro Pole position seats, Brey crouse ext. 5 point harness, NHP sport exhaust
jsceash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 06:29 PM   #9

I own both a Z3 and a 986 and the Boxster is way more fun to drive and still looks modern in design. The Z is much more reliable and more of an old roadster look. To be honest more people comment on the Z3 than the Boxster. The Atlanta Blue/Beige combo with M package upgrades is very striking. Either way, I love both cars and the driving experience in both is fun!
Goodbiketime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 07:11 PM   #10

Garage
I had both a 2000 BMW M Coupe and M Roadster. Nice vehicles, but "boulevardiers" compared to a boxster S.
Old 09-22-2013, 11:26 AM   #11

When I sold my first Boxster a 99, the guy that came to look at it was going to go test drive a used Z3 after he looked at my car at a BMW dealership up the street from my house.

Less than an hour later he called me and came back over my house and left the $500 deposit on my Boxster and purchased my Boxster The next day, he said there's no comparison with the BMW and the Boxster, the Boxster hands down was a much better car.

And I totally agree.
jbs986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 02:39 PM   #12

Boxster S with 3.2 liter

My 2000 S has a 3.2 liter engine and it runs so sweet. Do not get a base. It took a while to find mine but it was worth the wait. Any car with 60k or more will need more maintenance so you need to mechanical savvy to keep cost under control. I replace my rotors, pads, filters, fuel filter, TIP service, spark plug tubes and plugs, brake line flush, serpentine belt, AOS. Now I need to replace the water pump soon before it fails.

Old Hippie Young Heart
2000 S/3.2 Liter/Tiptronic/Boxster S Sport Package/Cruise Control/Slate Grey Metallic
Red Special Leather Interior/Red Floor Mats/Red Hand Painted Instrument Dials/Roll Bar/Windstop
Small Carbon Package/Leather Wrap Carbon Wheel/Center Console Exterior Color/Alum Carbon Shift Knob
AM/FM Radio w/CD Player & Changer/Digital Sound Package/18" Turbo Wheels/Wheel Caps w/Colored Crest
jcb986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 10:02 PM   #13

I am one of the few who prefer the base over the S. Still own since new in 2002...one of the best driving/feeling/"it just feels right" cars I have ever owned.

I still get smiles every time I jump into this one. Can't really say that to all the other cars I have and currently own.
06 Maserati Quattroporte (Family hauler)
08 Corvette Z06 (Track car)
986_c6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 11:16 AM   #14

Garage
[QUOTE=travlincub321;364235]My short list is a SLK320, Boxster, Z3, 350Z btw

My max budget is 10K...

QUOTE]

I have test driven all of these extensively.

SLK even in AMG trim handles like a pig, very little feel gets to driver. Manual trans & shifter is worst I have driven.

Z3 is not much better for feel. I hated driving position & trying to look over the dashboard. Hate the straight 6 engine sewing machine like drone.

350Z Rides rough, huge blind spots, hate the interior especially dash I.P. that moves with tilt wheel, good rattle source. I do like the powertrain VQ V-6, w/manual, shifts better than Boxster 6-speed.

If you are satisfied with a 97-99 2.5L car that's great. Lot's to choose from so take your time.
Old 11-13-2013, 01:14 PM   #15

The build quality on my '01 Boxster S is every bit as good as my '07 Cayman. Maybe slightly better? And both are far better than I've seen on others...

All of the cars on your shortlist are fabulous cars. Drive them all, and see which one talks to you... you will know!

Good luck!
bglz42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 04:45 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by 986_c6 View Post
I am one of the few who prefer the base over the S. Still own since new in 2002...one of the best driving/feeling/"it just feels right" cars I have ever owned.

I still get smiles every time I jump into this one. Can't really say that to all the other cars I have and currently own.
I couldn't agree more,I had a 99 Base and now I have a 2002 base. It has More then enough power for my taste plus you shift more which makes it the more enjoyable to drive.
Old 11-13-2013, 11:45 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbs986 View Post
plus you shift more which makes it the more enjoyable to drive.)
What makes you "shift more" in a 5-speed base model?

I feel like a shifting maniac in my 2000 S model 6-speed.
Old 11-13-2013, 11:56 PM   #18

search is ur friend buddy!

at the top of the general discussion forum .....there is a sticky just for u!
(Thinking of buying a Boxster ? - MUST READ !)

regarding your choices ... i think u answered ur own question right? when u said ...

"...to fullfill another dream car and get a Porsche..."

i have a 2001 base tip ... and since i also have another hi power car & also a minivan ....i find it fills a nice gap right in between .....I very much enjoy driving it!
BTfd2e93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 12:25 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by RawleyD View Post
What makes you "shift more" in a 5-speed base model?

I feel like a shifting maniac in my 2000 S model 6-speed.
A car with more hp/torque allows you to stay in a gear longer, whereas our wonderful base boxsters allows us to shift more frequently to stay in the sweet spot (some of us actually think this is fun and pure driving bliss).

An exaggerated example of this would be a Z06 and a base boxster. How much shifting do you require for say going 0-130mph, or for going in a road course (I can stay in 3rd or 4th gear the whole track at Laguna Seca for the vette and I use 2-3-4 for the Boxster in the same track). Capiche?
06 Maserati Quattroporte (Family hauler)
08 Corvette Z06 (Track car)
986_c6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 02:51 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by 986_c6 View Post
A car with more hp/torque allows you to stay in a gear longer, whereas our wonderful base boxsters allows us to shift more frequently to stay in the sweet spot (some of us actually think this is fun and pure driving bliss).

An exaggerated example of this would be a Z06 and a base boxster. How much shifting do you require for say going 0-130mph, or for going in a road course (I can stay in 3rd or 4th gear the whole track at Laguna Seca for the vette and I use 2-3-4 for the Boxster in the same track). Capiche?
What he said.