Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > New Members - Start here! > New Member Introductions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-28-2005, 01:45 AM   #1

In your opinion is it worth paying $10,000 more to get the S badge and forty more hp

Hi
I'm planning to finally buy a new boxster ('05) this week. I isolated already few cars and the option that I want (stick,heated seats, bose with windstop, xenons, sport steering wheel, 19" carrera rims). I'll probably make a move before the end of august (tuesday probably...). The only thing that is keeping me from sleeping at night is to know if I should spend $10,000 more for the S model. My previous car was an Evo. When I test drove both boxster models I was more impressed by the handling and the built quality than the power (since the evo for pretty quick) and I didn't really feel a big difference in between them.
Any opinion will be Highly appreciated.

BB19scp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2005, 08:00 AM   #2

Horse power rules my friend. I have owned many cars and if I have learned one thing it is that you cannot have too much horsepower or too much money.... All kidding aside, whenever I am faced with buying the "S" model or the "not as fast" model, I choose the "S" model. Resale I believe is better (I just bought my 2002 Boxster S and love it. I screened out all the standard Boxsters very quickly in the selection process). I do understand the price difference is significant, but if price is a huge consideration perhaps you should not be buying a Porsche.....
Mr. Boone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2005, 10:07 AM   #3

Talking

I think you have already answered this question for yourself, as you have driven both cars. It is your money and only you can decide what you value most.

Good luck deciding.

Either way you are getting a pretty sweet car.
Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2005, 10:35 AM   #4

Send a message via AIM to Richard Truss
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Boone
...but if price is a huge consideration perhaps you should not be buying a Porsche.....
I cant tell you how sick of the "maybe a porsche is not your best choice" or "maybe if you care that much about money, a porsche is not the best car for you" comments I am. People come here not for general car buying advise, but advise on their porsche buying. I am not rich at all, but I have owned 2 porsches now. Clearly this guy has a lot more money than me because he CAN afford not only a 2005 Boxster that is well optioned, but an S as well (he never said he could not afford it, he just wondered if the 10 grand was worth it.... NOT a bad question).

Porsches are great -- have a fun time in your new one. You cant go wrong either way. My opinion is that the S model (for me) is less important on the 2005 models than the previous models.
Old 09-05-2005, 11:36 AM   #5
bmussatti

Don't forget, certain options cost more for the Boxster vs. the Boxster S. For example:

Bose is $1,665 vs $950
19 inch Carrrera wheel $2,785 vs. $1,550

So, the same options on the Boxster cost $1,950 more!

Therefor the price difference now is only $53,100 (S) - $43,800 (base) - $1,950 (options) = $7,350

$7,350/ 40 additional HP = $183.75 per extra HP!

GO FOR IT!
Old 09-05-2005, 08:20 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Truss
I cant tell you how sick of the "maybe a porsche is not your best choice" or "maybe if you care that much about money, a porsche is not the best car for you" comments I am. .
Sorry if my comment came off a little strong. I love all Porsches as evidenced by the fact that I used to drive a 1970 914 and loved it. The point I was trying to make was that I think it is a good idea to spend the money on the upgrade to S first, before some of the other options on the table. But that is just my opinion. Agreed, it will be a great car in either version.
Mr. Boone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2005, 11:47 AM   #7

I enjoy the feel and handling of a car... and I think the normal Boxster has the qualities I like.. if HP and speed are a major factor to you.. then you should pony up the extra dough...

As for myself.. i rarely speed, don't accelerate too fast, but I want decent passing speed and fun on a mountain road with the top down... so non S version has adequate power for me...

but if your gonna fork out the dough for xenons, bose, and rimms... you should just get the S and try to cutt a deal!!
jonomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2005, 03:21 PM   #8

Dude, the S and regular are not as different as a Lancer and an EVO for example.

I drove a 987S for all morning on an extended test drive. It doesn't feel any different, horespower wise. It is funny it feels and sounds the same but when you look down the speed is higher than you expected.

Now could I tell blindfolded, yes. But again I wasn't like "oh yeah this is it man feel that power , I need to trade my non S now"
I have never heard of someone regretting spending the money for an S.

You asked the 500,000 dollar question man(the million dollar question being 986 or 987), but you can't loose.

drop the top and go.

05 S - looking...
lexuspilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2005, 03:28 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by lexuspilot

drop the top and go.
This is all that matters

Mike
99-Boxster-MK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2005, 05:04 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by lexuspilot

drop the top and go.
Well said. I agonized about it also, but here is the deal. It's a Porsche, baby! Grab sack and buy it!!!

Disclaimer: By the way, I am assuming, BB19scp, that you are a dude. If not, I apologize and you may grab whatever you wish. There goes my tourettes again.

Cheers!
RC-12 Guardrail
RC-7 Crazy Hawk

"If the wings are traveling faster than
the fuselage, it's probably a helicopter--
and therefore, unsafe" --Unknown
Rail26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2005, 05:07 PM   #11
bmussatti

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rail26
Well said. I agonized about it also, but here is the deal. It's a Porsche, baby! Grab sack and buy it!!!

Disclaimer: By the way, I am assuming, BB19scp, that you are a dude. If not, I apologize and you may grab whatever you wish. There goes my tourettes again.

Cheers!

Don't worry Rail...according to his user profile, you got it right!
Old 12-10-2005, 01:04 AM   #12

Send a message via AIM to blinkwatt
This comes down to whether you want that "edge" over other Boxsters on the streets,even though you may seen only a handful a month. ALL Boxster are FUN,HANDLE WELL,HAVE SOME SPEED and are GREAT CARS. In 1998 the BASE Boxster was Named 'Automobile Magazine's' 1998 Automobile of the Year. The Boxster has been on the Top 10 Best of Car and Driver,guess how many times? SIX TIMES!!!!!. In 2000 the Boxster S was named on the top 10 of 2000. Any choice will be GREAT,its your choice. If resell is important to you,then the S is the way to go. If leaving some money for mods is important buy base and add your own personal touch to it.So whatever you buy its up to the driver to make what the car is.
Old 12-10-2005, 12:29 PM   #13

I recently faced this question also. I decided that you can't go wrong either way with the current horsepower and torque differences. If I was going to the track I'd go with the S. Otherwise go with your gut and finances.
wild1poet2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2005, 11:25 AM   #14

Its a tough decision. I am looking to get a second hand 987 and also deliberating about the S version over the standard. For me its the difference between about 4K pounds rather than 10k dollars ! I drove a new boxter S 987 and preferred the quality and feel to the grunty roar of the 350Z ,but its only the S version that keeps up with the cheaper 350Z or has the same 6 speed gearbox. I'm not sure if the additional gear helps with economy or is there for acceleration , either way its one more plus for the S in my view.
Berty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2006, 01:49 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berty
Its a tough decision. I am looking to get a second hand 987 and also deliberating about the S version over the standard. For me its the difference between about 4K pounds rather than 10k dollars ! I drove a new boxter S 987 and preferred the quality and feel to the grunty roar of the 350Z ,but its only the S version that keeps up with the cheaper 350Z or has the same 6 speed gearbox. I'm not sure if the additional gear helps with economy or is there for acceleration , either way its one more plus for the S in my view.

Not a boxster expert here, still shopping for it actually, but comming from 350Z Touring, yeah it's not as fast (base, S is actually faster than the Z), the 6th gear is really not for economy, when you are on a track, closely spaced gears allow you to drop fewer RPMs when shifting and allow you to keep the car in the sweet spot.

NeonShadow is offline   Reply With Quote