Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > New Members - Start here! > New Member Introductions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-07-2005, 03:09 PM   #1

Leg Room in '02 Boxster

Hi, I am a newbie and about to purchase a 2002 Boxster Tiptronic, I recently test drove two different Certified Preowned Boxsters on Porsche Dealer lots, A Blue Boxster and a Gray Boxster both '02's with Power Seats. Before sitting in either Boxster I made sure the seat was all the back, as low as possible and as far as it could go(because I am 6 foot 3 inches tall). While test driving the Blue Boxster my right leg prevented my right hand from turning the steering wheel all the way. When I sat in the Gray Boxster I immediately noticed that I had much more leg room and (probably about an inch or two-for tall people that makes all the difference in the world) while test driving the Gray Boxster my right leg didn't hamper my driving at all and I was much more comfortable in the seat, does anyone have any idea why this is? I asked the service technician at the dealer and he said that in late '02 Porsche put out a second version on the Boxster that magically had a bit more leg room, have any of you ever heard of this? Does anyone have any idea why I would have had more leg room in one verse the other? Was the service guy making this up to push the sale? Both were identical 2002 Tiptronics with power seats, the only difference was the color and the mileage. Please help PS Great Site

joshua6060 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2005, 05:31 AM   #2

I'm a newbie as well....(hopefully I'll get my Boxster in the spring!). I'm also 6'3" and test drove several Boxsters last weekend (a 2002 non-S and a 2001 S). I have to say that I had PLENTY of leg room in both. I also sat in a BMW Z3 (2000ish), just to compare leg room (I have heard that the BMW is much more "tall-driver friendly".) What I found is that yes, the BMW has slightly more leg room, but the cockpit is much narrower and cramped feeling. Both Porsches felt extremely comfortable to me. To get technical, I'm just a shade under 6'4" and used to own a Triumph TR7, a '72 Datsun 240Z....the Porsche felt like it fit me better than either of those. (Actually, I was surprised how "big" the Porsche felt....what it lacks in length, it more than made up for in width.)

I know this isn't directly related to your question, but my point is that of the two I drove, they BOTH felt the exact same as far as leg room goes. I am unsure whether or not the 2002 I drove was an "early" or "late" 2002.

On a side note, the power difference was not very noticeable between the S and the non-S, but the exhaust note of the S was damn near worth the price difference on it's own!
cplcory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2005, 09:42 AM   #3

The seat back's position has a tremedous effect on leg room. If you can tolerate a far more perpendicular seat back, you can gain two inches or more of leg room. That may have been the difference in the seats.

I heard rumors that GT3 seats were thinner all the way around and provided more leg room, so that may be an option.

But, if you can't get comfortable, buy a 996 with a sunroof and the seat goes back a full four inches further than the boxster if I'm not mistaken.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2006, 12:03 PM   #4

I'm 6ft and have a 99, 5-spd. The leg room is fine. I do however need to keep the seat a couple clicks forward so I don't have the stretch out my leg and point out my toe to fully depress the clutch safely.

Next round I will probably get a tiptronic so I can keep the seat all the way back all the time and not have to worry about pushing in a clutch. It'll be more comfortable. This 2nd car is becoming my everyday ride and manual shifting gets old when stuck in city traffic, on a hill.