Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-16-2014, 12:31 PM   #1

Garage
Need opinions on a summer project.

I have a crazy idea, I am curious what others think about it. While i have the money for new boxster and will be buying one, I kind of want a beater to drive to school to better protect the Porsche. Here is where things get interesting, I was looking through a few used lots last weekend when i came across an 86 volvo 740 ( Cars for Sale: 1986 Volvo 740 GLE in Greenville, SC 29607: Sedan Details - 372058203 - AutoTrader.com )

See I think I may be what is known as a hipster, I would enjoy this car almost as much as i do the Porsche, because of the irony of it and such. However, to make it a bit more interesting and a bit more of an experiment, I am thinking about crowd funding this endeavor. There is a site called indiegogo where you can make campaigns with a goal, if the funds reach the goal they are sent, if not than no ones money goes through. The theory is that if 10k people see the add, and a third of them donate a dollar, that is all it takes, you have alot of people donate just a small amount to make something big happen. You also place incentives and my incentive would be that if you pledge a certain amount, you get your name on the dash of the Volvo. I am not asking anyone here to pledge. I have yet to make the campaign and am rather asking what people about this, positive and negative responses welcome.

http://www.gofundme.com/help-me-own-a-beater finished project!

Last edited by BIGJake111; 06-16-2014 at 06:40 PM.
BIGJake111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 01:04 PM   #2
Custom User Title Here

Garage
I guess if you can get people to donate, why not? You may have trouble getting people to donate to you for something like this, though.

I need to look into this crowdfunding thing. I have several ventures that I would like to undertake
Old 06-16-2014, 01:22 PM   #3

Here's the reality...

200 people will see it.

3 people will donate a dollar.

Go get a summer job and put the extra cash into some goodies for your (soon to be) new Boxster S.

Rick
Old 06-16-2014, 01:41 PM   #4

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by particlewave View Post
I guess if you can get people to donate, why not? You may have trouble getting people to donate to you for something like this, though.

I need to look into this crowdfunding thing. I have several ventures that I would like to undertake
Entirely betting on failing, but I have the means to get the number high at least on those that see it. But yes, crowd funding would work great for some products that you could make. Heck shout out to the boxster clear engine covers as well.
Old 06-16-2014, 01:47 PM   #5
Damn Yankee

Garage
Ok, let me get this straight.

High school student wishes to raise $3,000 to purchase 28 year old Volvo to drive to school instead of his Porsche.

Oh yeah........where's the PayPal button?

Seriously, GET A JOB!

Just sayin'............

TO
TeamOxford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 01:51 PM   #6

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamOxford View Post
Ok, let me get this straight.

High school student wishes to raise $3,000 to purchase 28 year old Volvo to drive to school instead of his Porsche.

Oh yeah........where's the PayPal button?

Seriously, GET A JOB!

Just sayin'............

TO
I would, if the car was necessary. Rather with it being a side project and having a planned career in marketing, i see this as an experiment and a chance to try and market this project. I would likely still run the campaign if i did have a job because i like idea of having all the names on the dash and such, makes the car and experience much more unique. I entirely see why few would donate from this though and am not expecting this to work out, but it surely wont if i do not try.
Old 06-16-2014, 01:52 PM   #7

Garage
Made a rough draft, it isnt live yet.

http://www.indiegogo.com/project/preview/2a0552f0
Old 06-16-2014, 02:03 PM   #8

if you like the old volvos, check out a saab 900; funky, more car and costs less.
The Radium King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 02:06 PM   #9

I would not do this.

Crowd funding is either to advance something that will benefit others (eventually) or to help someone who is some dire circumstance.
Although the millenialls and whatever they call the generation after them would probably think that getting a kid with a Porsche some more money to buy a beater car would be something that should be higher up the pecking order of donations than helping stray dogs and cats, helping astoundingly poor kids who need a Raspberry Pi in India to learn code, getting clean drinking water to village in Ghana, etc.

That being said I would urge you to put some time into starting your own website where you can provide some information about the Volvo to other prospective teen drivers and ahem... ask for donations. Randall Neighbor did this with his Boxster, he provided a great deal of useful information and after all that I believe received two donations and a gift card to Shake N' Steak.

P.S.
I have been continuously employed since age 14.
High school jobs:
paper route. did the math, well below the minimum wage but still it was earned cash.
dish washer. Not the job I was hired for but other job (shopping kart guy at supermarket) went to another kid. Kept washing dishes.
burger flipper. Never eat the chili at fast food places.
record store clerk. Yes they actually sold vinyl records.
Tele marketing. This job paid 3x's the minimum wage (moving up in the world fast).

Even then, I'd would have a VERY HARD TIME asking strangers for money towards something I could fund with the labor of my own two hands and feets.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW

Last edited by Perfectlap; 06-16-2014 at 02:35 PM.
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 02:07 PM   #10
Beginner

Garage
This is AWESOME!!! It is so far outside of the box (little "b") I live in I can't wait to see it go live, and see how it works! I hope you get your beater!!! I'll be amazed, but I hope it works. More power to you!
Old 06-16-2014, 02:10 PM   #11

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfectlap View Post
I would not do this.

Crowd funding is either to advance something that will benefit others (eventually) or to help someone who is some dire circumstance.

That being said I would urge you to put some time into starting your own website where you can provide some information about the Volvo to other prospective teen drivers and ahem... ask for donations. Randall Neighbor did this with his Boxster, he provided a great deal of useful information and after all that I believe received two donations and a gift card to Shake N' Steak.
I do feel bad about the idea of putting this in the community section and am thinking about putting it in the art section instead, at the end of the day it isn't just a beater for me, the whole thing is an experience and then the car has a story. Hopes would be to contact petrolicious and see if they would like to write and article if it works out.
Old 06-16-2014, 02:29 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGJake111 View Post
I do feel bad about the idea of putting this in the community section and am thinking about putting it in the art section instead, at the end of the day it isn't just a beater for me, the whole thing is an experience and then the car has a story. Hopes would be to contact petrolicious and see if they would like to write and article if it works out.
It's neither art nor community from a crowd funding perspective.
Let's not conflate the very worthwhile project of documenting your experience of buying an old car for that car's enthusiast segment.... with asking for the funds. Those are two things that should not be "commingled".
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 02:38 PM   #13

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfectlap View Post
It's neither art nor community from a crowd funding perspective.
Let's not conflate the very worthwhile project of documenting your experience of buying an old car for that car's enthusiast segment.... with asking for the funds. Those are two things that should not be "commingled".
The crowd funding is the story of the car, otherwise it is simply a junky Volvo and I wouldn't find it worth documenting at all.
Old 06-16-2014, 04:14 PM   #14

Out of curiosity, Jake, what do you define as the difference between "marketing" and "begging"? While we are at it, how about the difference between "hipster" and "slacker"?

Last edited by cfos; 06-16-2014 at 04:19 PM.
cfos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 04:28 PM   #15
Damn Yankee

Garage
Perfectlap and cfos both make excellent points.

You're only 16; don't think the world operates the way you now think. You've got a LOOOOOOOONG way to go.

Just sayin'..........

TO
TeamOxford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 04:31 PM   #16

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfos View Post

Out of curiosity, Jake, what do you define as the difference between "marketing" and "begging"? While we are at it, how about the difference between "hipster" and "slacker"?
I was waiting for your opinion on this. A slacker would not take the time to make something constructive about this. A slacker would rather ask their parents to buy them a volvo which i could do right now and have happen right now. As for marketing and begging, the idea is to allow the people interested (as it is not everyones cup of tea) to come by and have their name on a soon to be one of a kind car with quite the story behind it. If it is so facepalm worthy, which i could easily see it being so, then meeting the goal would be quite the feat of marketing, because begging does not get you past something so ridiculous.
Old 06-16-2014, 04:52 PM   #17
Beginner

Garage
Remember Jake, If men were meant to fly, they'd have wings. And at most, the world will need about half a dozen large computers. The patent office will soon be closing because everything worth inventing has already been invented, and if your elders did it that way, then you should too. Keep those things firmly in mind and when your old and gray like me you can stand on your front porch and shake your cane while yelling "get off my lawn!". Or, you could strike out and do something unique that some call "begging" or "slacking" and succeed or fail, you'll have done it. It seems the younger generation sees things differently, and values different things than the older. And the joke on the older generation is that they did the same thing when they were young imparting the same discomfort on the preceding older generation, they just forgot (they're old). Some things don't change. I wish you success.
Old 06-16-2014, 04:53 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGJake111 View Post
I was waiting for your opinion on this. A slacker would not take the time to make something constructive about this. A slacker would rather ask their parents to buy them a volvo which i could do right now and have happen right now. As for marketing and begging, the idea is to allow the people interested (as it is not everyones cup of tea) to come by and have their name on a soon to be one of a kind car with quite the story behind it. If it is so facepalm worthy, which i could easily see it being so, then meeting the goal would be quite the feat of marketing, because begging does not get you past something so ridiculous.
I guess I'm not seeing the value in what you offer. Nor what is constructive about this...

So, your argument here is that having your name on a car makes this a "marketing" experiment?

Old 06-16-2014, 04:57 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamesp View Post
Remember Jake, If men were meant to fly, they'd have wings. And at most, the world will need about half a dozen large computers. The patent office will soon be closing because everything worth inventing has already been invented, and if your elders did it that way, then you should too. Keep those things firmly in mind and when your old and gray like me you can stand on your front porch and shake your cane while yelling "get off my lawn!". Or, you could strike out and do something unique that some call "begging" or "slacking" and succeed or fail, you'll have done it. It seems the younger generation sees things differently, and values different things than the older. And the joke on the older generation is that they did the same thing when they were young imparting the same discomfort on the preceding older generation, they just forgot (they're old). Some things don't change. I wish you success.
Let's keep it simple. You are, of course, positing that Jake will own a lawn and a front porch -- Last time I checked in with some 20-somethings, many still lived at home. And while we're at educating Jake, tell him where his social security will be, too, when he's of a age. :ah: Let's hope he will have his perspective then, too.

Last edited by cfos; 06-16-2014 at 05:06 PM.
cfos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 05:01 PM   #20
98 Arctic silver 986

Garage
I wish the internet was around when I was in high school. But Jake I think you should go bigger! Try to get one of the business owners that comment on this site to give you big money for main sponsorship. Like a huge LN engineering sticker across the hood. For less we could all put our forum names on the side. It will look like a NASCAR in the school parking lot!! Of course I think you would have better luck getting a free car if you were a pretty girl, but that's just my opinion.

tommy583 is offline   Reply With Quote