Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-20-2013, 03:23 PM   #1

Water Pump Question

Wondering what the consensus is on replacing a water pump @ 64,000 mi (2003 S) as part of preventative maintenance. No current noises or leaks from the pump. It's not cheap (pump alone is $250-$400 , plus the thermostat which will be done at the same time), but neither is the impact of broken impeller blades in the motor.

I've read the DIY guides on replacement- is this more than a 2/3 wrench job - the most ambitious DIY I've done on the car so far are rotors/pads, swapping a larger throttle body and intake and installation of an IMS Guardian (PITA).

Thanks.

Steve

MNICEBOX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 03:51 PM   #2
still plays with cars...

Garage
Go on, get greasy.
I'm trying to gradually get needed maintenance items done: all the fluids first, then chain tensioners and then the fun stuff like a UDP and Technorque kit.
I've got exactly the same project lined up for this winter's hibernation; water pump, LN 160F thermostat and new coolant.
It's high time for me because I'm still running the original green coolant and probably the original water pump too.
It's a fair bit of DIY labour that's long overdue, but at least not all that difficult to do.
I think I'm just going to burp the air out of mine instead of vacuum filling though.
Arctic Silver on Metropol Blue | LN Dual Row IMSR | Arctic Silver console, spoiler frame & bumperettes | Crios mod | Technobrace | RoboTop module & modified convertible top relay for one-touch roof operation

Last edited by BoxsterSteve; 12-20-2013 at 03:54 PM.
BoxsterSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 04:28 PM   #3

DIY or not, I would get it done now. @ 99,000 mi I'm on my 3rd OEM water pump. 2000 base.

Last edited by jotoole; 12-20-2013 at 04:37 PM.
jotoole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 06:29 PM   #4

I replaced mine about a month ago at 84,000 miles. I did not replace the thermostat. I've seen a range of mileage for failures, and you are in the range. Mine just started making a grinding noise when I stopped the car at the end of my driveway to pick up the mail. It could have been much less convenient. I think you are smart to do it now. Consider using an Airlift tool to fill the system if you DIY. See this video: Uview Airlift Kit 550000 Demonstration, Pressure Test, Coolant Fill - YouTube

Now that I've done one, I could do it again in about 3 hours.

I ordered a water pump, gasket and 3 gallons of coolant from Sunset Porsche. The cost breakdown was:

Water pump: $268

Gasket: $7.71

Coolant: 3@$27.93 - $83.79

Shipping: $46.24

Total: $406.45

There are good DIY instructions on Pelican and Pedro's Board. Pedro recommends loosening the front engine mount to access some of the bolts. I did not find that necessary.
Painted Bumperettes, 2004 (OEM) Top, Homelink integrated in dash with Targa switch, 997 Shifter, Carrera Gauge Cluster with silver gauge faces, heated 12-way driver & 8-way passenger seats, Litronics, silver console
KevinH1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 08:41 PM   #5
Certified Boxster Addict

I'd say that you should do it whenever you can get around to it - no real hurry but it will keep you from getting stuck somewhere and/or potential damage from overheating when the pump does fail.

I used the Pelican DIY instructions and its technically pretty easy, it just takes a several hours to get it all done. If you take your time, you really should be able to do this.

http://986forum.com/forums/general-discussions/43198-new-waterpump-t-stat-today.html
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 09:57 PM   #6

It's a fairly easy job - just take your time - and you'll have piece of mind. (Since you're at it perhaps tackle the thermostat too)
Old 12-20-2013, 11:50 PM   #7

"no real hurry but"

Last edited by jotoole; 12-20-2013 at 11:53 PM.
jotoole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 07:01 AM   #8

Based on the stories of failure new pumps and the possible relationship to improper bleeding (air) of the coolant system this is one DIY I would not do. I'd bet there are more engine failures due to overheating related issues than IMS. If I did change the pump and Tstat I would have a pro refill the coolant system.
runjmc2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 07:23 AM   #9

I bought my 2000 Boxster S back in February with 45k miles. Drove it all the way home from Dallas to Houston on a Friday. Replacing the water pump was an intended preventive maintenance item.

Sat in the garage over the weekend...Monday morning I drive it to work. And boom, the water pump went out with the most horrifying sound that I initially thought was the IMS. Instead of me replacing it on my terms...I had to get it done at a shop.

http://imgur.com/a/k0Wtl - My 914-6 Build/Project Story
patssle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 10:03 PM   #10

http://986forum.com/forums/general-discussions/35434-go-ahead-procrastinate-like-i-did.html

Get a set of flex sockets, these are sockets with built in universal joints on them. You will need them. The job is not hard technically, but is a PIA because of the cramped quarters that you are working in.
3X Water Pump, Clear side markers, Crios Mod, Front engine mount, Flywheel, clutch, RMS, AOS, MAF, serpentine belt, power brake vacuum line, battery, 2X CV boots, Fuel filter, Oil filler tube, 3X ignition switch, 90K service, gas cap
Spinnaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 02:32 AM   #11

Does anyone make a 12 volt electric water pump for these engines ? If yes is it better in regards to longevity ? Just curious. Jake Raby is building me a 2002 S and it will receive a new water pump in the build so I'll have a baseline for age/mileage. But it seems like some of these go with as little as 30k or as high as 100k.........strange. I think Jake is now recommending a change every 3 years but don't quote me on that.
rfuerst911sc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 03:18 AM   #12
I am my own mechanic....

About to order one.

Genuine Porsche (400) or OEM (263)??

Tim
Timco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 06:09 AM   #13

It's not too hard. I have done it 3 times. Save about 1/3 the price and get Prestone antifreeze. They make a pink one for European cars, ask the guy at the counter for it.
heliguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 12:05 PM   #14
Vista glass

Garage
MNICEBOX I just did this job not long ago.
Be sure to note where each bolt comes from because some are of different lengths. I was contorted to get to them and did not realize they were not all the same. It seemed like the long ones were at the 3 and 4 o'clock position. This might be a good time to do the fuel filter as well.
Vista glass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 07:58 PM   #15

Just did mine today. Glad I did as it had started to leak. Sure it was the original with just 44k on her.
89 944 S2
78 911SC
Porsche9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 08:10 PM   #16

When mine fails, I'll gladly replace it. Not before.
dghii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 07:43 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by runjmc2 View Post
Based on the stories of failure new pumps and the possible relationship to improper bleeding (air) of the coolant system this is one DIY I would not do. I'd bet there are more engine failures due to overheating related issues than IMS. If I did change the pump and Tstat I would have a pro refill the coolant system.
Bleeding the system is not an issue if you have a good compressor, and the Airview vacuum tool. couldn'r be more simple.

If you don't have a good compressor, why are you working on cars?
Old 12-24-2013, 07:46 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by heliguy View Post
It's not too hard. I have done it 3 times. Save about 1/3 the price and get Prestone antifreeze. They make a pink one for European cars, ask the guy at the counter for it.
What, to save yourself maybe $40? I think there is enough potential disaster with these cars that ignoring factory recommendations, not to mention the advice of some very knowledgeable people on this forum, is completely unwarranted. I'm calling this bad advice.
Old 12-24-2013, 08:00 AM   #19
recycledsixtie

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by runjmc2 View Post
It's a catch22 situation. If you changed the pump then you would need to get the equipment to fill the coolant properly. If you have the talent to change the water pump then you need the cash to buy the equipment to refill the coolant. How could you change the pump and then move the car to get it serviced without driving it? You need coolant to do that. Or else flatbed it to the shop.

Mark T is correct but comes across harsh but he is right - you need the air pressure equipment.
As for me if I cannot do something perfectly on my Box then I pay the indy shop to do it. The Box is my first Porsche and I have waited till I am sixtie something to do it.
So far no regrets but no doubt about it it is easy to spend big $$$$ on repairs and proactive repairs.....

If you got the talent to change the water pump then bleeding the system should be pretty easy for you with the right equipment. 101 Projects for your Boxster etc.
G.
recycledsixtie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 08:54 AM   #20

I've purged the coolant at least three times using the manual method. I've had no problems at all. Remember the coolant system is designed to purge constantly.

What worked for me was after purging, I drove down a steep ramp, so the front of the car was pointing down, this lets the air move up, out of the radiators, where it is purged automatically. Just take a gallon of coolant with you since the level can drop dramatically.

2000 Boxster 2.7l red/black

Previous cars

1973 Opel Manta
1969(?) Fiat 850 Convertible
1979 Lancia Beta Coupe
1981 Alfa Romeo GTV 6
1985 Alfa Romeo Graduate
1985 Porsche 944
1989 Porsche 944
1981 Triumph TR7
1989 (?) Alfa Romeo Milano
1993 Saab 9000