Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-19-2012, 01:55 PM   #1

Garage
Clean Those Throttle Bodies

I had to clean my Throttle Body again… It’s been approximately four years since the last time I cleaned it. The idle on the Jägermobile was dropping every few seconds; a good indication a thorough Throttle Body cleaning was past due. I removed the Throttle Body and sure enough there was some coke build-up on the edges of it, so I used some MAF cleaner and a soft rag to wipe the coke build-up away, reinstalled it, and idle is back to normal!!

300K Mile Club
Jager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 09:33 PM   #2
Custom User Title Here

Garage
I need to do this. My idle bounces between 550-800 a lot, especially when cold. Any insider tips? Seems pretty straight forward.
Old 08-20-2012, 05:24 AM   #3
Homeboy981

Garage
TIP: Don't drive on dirt roads! I KNOW I am going to catch it for taking a perfectly good Pcar down a dirt road but I HAVE to buy homes….and that is where some of them hang out!

The more time on a dirt, or a road with DIRT ON IT, the sooner you should be cleaning the throttle body. I had mine pristine only 8 months ago and last week my idle was shaking a bit so I had to clean it. Apparently, we have enough power in the fans underneath the car to kick up a dust cloud that would make "Pig Pen" (from the Peanuts gang) jealous.

The TB (throttle Body) is easy to take care of, that is the good news. Remove the air filter and then the flex hose and you can get in there pretty well. For a more extensive cleaning, be prepared to take a little longer to dismantle the TB and pull apart the connecting tubes and get inside the manifold (be ready with band-aids).

The resulting hiccup-free acceleration is worth it.
Old 08-24-2012, 06:49 PM   #4

Hey I cleaned my throttle body about two days ago and it was the best thing i could have done to my car. I had bad idling after the car heated up. it would struggle to keep stable but never died on me. After i pulled the throttle body out there was some dark debris which i clean with MAF cleaner. Now Cassandra is running like a champ. The car feels much more responsive and I have less problems with the 1st to 2nd gear shifts. I had it easier because of the e throttle so removal was a breeze. The only hard part was reinstalling the air intake tube to the throttle body. It was very hard and I recommend having a buddy help with reinstallation.

So bottom line Clean those throttle bodies. Truly worth the 1hr 30min. Can be done quicker but through cleaning is better.
Bmod986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 07:03 PM   #5

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmod986 View Post
Hey I cleaned my throttle body about two days ago and it was the best thing i could have done to my car. I had bad idling after the car heated up. it would struggle to keep stable but never died on me. After i pulled the throttle body out there was some dark debris which i clean with MAF cleaner. Now Cassandra is running like a champ. The car feels much more responsive and I have less problems with the 1st to 2nd gear shifts. I had it easier because of the e throttle so removal was a breeze. The only hard part was reinstalling the air intake tube to the throttle body. It was very hard and I recommend having a buddy help with reinstallation.

So bottom line Clean those throttle bodies. Truly worth the 1hr 30min. Can be done quicker but through cleaning is better.
Yep, read the third paragraph on this web page link below… That dark debris is called Coking, a common byproduct on internal combustion engines. I'm glad your car has better idle and is more responsive.

How a Car Engine Intake Manifold Throttle Body Works - 2CarPros

300K Mile Club

Last edited by Jager; 08-24-2012 at 07:20 PM.
Jager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 10:34 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homeboy981 View Post
The more time on a dirt, or a road with DIRT ON IT, the sooner you should be cleaning the throttle body. I had mine pristine only 8 months ago and last week my idle was shaking a bit so I had to clean it. Apparently, we have enough power in the fans underneath the car to kick up a dust cloud that would make "Pig Pen" (from the Peanuts gang) jealous.
The first time I pulled into my dirt driveway the fans kicked up such a dust cloud I thought the radiator was blowing steam.

I bought some calcium chloride (Ice melt) to keep the dust down.

Short Shifter, Touch Screen Dual Din Radio, 03 4 Bow glass Top (DD & Auto-X since May 17,2012)
jb92563 is offline   Reply With Quote