986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   Clean Those Throttle Bodies (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/36934-clean-those-throttle-bodies.html)

Jager 08-19-2012 01:55 PM

Clean Those Throttle Bodies

I had to clean my Throttle Body again… It’s been approximately four years since the last time I cleaned it. The idle on the Jägermobile was dropping every few seconds; a good indication a thorough Throttle Body cleaning was past due. I removed the Throttle Body and sure enough there was some coke build-up on the edges of it, so I used some MAF cleaner and a soft rag to wipe the coke build-up away, reinstalled it, and idle is back to normal!! :)

particlewave 08-19-2012 09:33 PM

I need to do this. My idle bounces between 550-800 a lot, especially when cold. Any insider tips? Seems pretty straight forward.

Homeboy981 08-20-2012 05:24 AM

TIP: Don't drive on dirt roads! I KNOW I am going to catch it for taking a perfectly good Pcar down a dirt road but I HAVE to buy homes….and that is where some of them hang out!

The more time on a dirt, or a road with DIRT ON IT, the sooner you should be cleaning the throttle body. I had mine pristine only 8 months ago and last week my idle was shaking a bit so I had to clean it. Apparently, we have enough power in the fans underneath the car to kick up a dust cloud that would make "Pig Pen" (from the Peanuts gang) jealous.

The TB (throttle Body) is easy to take care of, that is the good news. Remove the air filter and then the flex hose and you can get in there pretty well. For a more extensive cleaning, be prepared to take a little longer to dismantle the TB and pull apart the connecting tubes and get inside the manifold (be ready with band-aids).

The resulting hiccup-free acceleration is worth it.

Bmod986 08-24-2012 06:49 PM

Hey I cleaned my throttle body about two days ago and it was the best thing i could have done to my car. I had bad idling after the car heated up. it would struggle to keep stable but never died on me. After i pulled the throttle body out there was some dark debris which i clean with MAF cleaner. Now Cassandra is running like a champ. The car feels much more responsive and I have less problems with the 1st to 2nd gear shifts. I had it easier because of the e throttle so removal was a breeze. The only hard part was reinstalling the air intake tube to the throttle body. It was very hard and I recommend having a buddy help with reinstallation.

So bottom line Clean those throttle bodies. Truly worth the 1hr 30min. Can be done quicker but through cleaning is better.

Jager 08-24-2012 07:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bmod986 (Post 303085)
Hey I cleaned my throttle body about two days ago and it was the best thing i could have done to my car. I had bad idling after the car heated up. it would struggle to keep stable but never died on me. After i pulled the throttle body out there was some dark debris which i clean with MAF cleaner. Now Cassandra is running like a champ. The car feels much more responsive and I have less problems with the 1st to 2nd gear shifts. I had it easier because of the e throttle so removal was a breeze. The only hard part was reinstalling the air intake tube to the throttle body. It was very hard and I recommend having a buddy help with reinstallation.

So bottom line Clean those throttle bodies. Truly worth the 1hr 30min. Can be done quicker but through cleaning is better.

Yep, read the third paragraph on this web page link below… That dark debris is called Coking, a common byproduct on internal combustion engines. I'm glad your car has better idle and is more responsive.

How a Car Engine Intake Manifold Throttle Body Works - 2CarPros

jb92563 08-25-2012 10:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Homeboy981 (Post 302349)
The more time on a dirt, or a road with DIRT ON IT, the sooner you should be cleaning the throttle body. I had mine pristine only 8 months ago and last week my idle was shaking a bit so I had to clean it. Apparently, we have enough power in the fans underneath the car to kick up a dust cloud that would make "Pig Pen" (from the Peanuts gang) jealous.

The first time I pulled into my dirt driveway the fans kicked up such a dust cloud I thought the radiator was blowing steam.

I bought some calcium chloride (Ice melt) to keep the dust down.