Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > DIY Project Guides

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-01-2014, 11:02 AM   #1

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to Ashmyster79
Engine mount replacement

So today I decided I was going to replace the engine mount. I have had it in a box for a while and as the sun was out why not.

I have read posts, and purchased 101 projects again with similar information. A simple project two spanners what could go wrong

Well jacked the car up as high as possible axle stands at the read. Engine supported with a trolley jack to take the slack as directed in the book. Under panels off.

4 main bolts removed no problem. However the last two that need to be loosened but not removed are a pig to get too. Quarter turn after quarter turn. We got there.

But. When trying to removed the bolts holding the mount to the engine body it was not possible to remove them. There are rubber tubes I think for the cooling system. In the project book there is no mention of these. Also when trying to remove completely the lower bolts the left hand side bolt is restricted by the body. I was under the car for an hour and half wiggling, bolting up unbolting but no joy. In the end we put it back together with the old mount.

Anyone else encountered this issue?

A simple job but was impossible to complete today. Do I need to remove the coolant hoses and drain the system to get the engine mount off. Seems a bit drastic to do a simple job but in turn will need to do a far harder job. Frustrated.

Ashmyster79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 11:35 AM   #2

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashmyster79 View Post
....When trying to removed the bolts holding the mount to the engine body it was not possible to remove them. There are rubber tubes I think for the cooling system.
Would it have helped to remove the bracket that holds the hoses in place - then one near the foam rubber support for those hoses - in the center transmission tunnel? I seemed to have remember reading that somewhere.
BFeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 11:51 AM   #3

Garage
Yeah we removed them which was a pain. There were two bolts either side of the hoses. The right hand bolt although hard to remove came out. The other side was impossible. Was being blocked by the engine body. Aborting mission due to one bolt is so frustrating.
Old 06-01-2014, 12:19 PM   #4

When you put it back together, be sure to torque the long studs into the body at the proper torque. If you just put them in finger tight, when you but the bolts on them, they will pull out of the body and you will be in a world of doo doo.

Most of the write ups on motor mount replacement omit this very important step.

2000 Boxster 2.7l red/black

Previous cars

1973 Opel Manta
1969(?) Fiat 850 Convertible
1979 Lancia Beta Coupe
1981 Alfa Romeo GTV 6
1985 Alfa Romeo Graduate
1985 Porsche 944
1989 Porsche 944
1981 Triumph TR7
1989 (?) Alfa Romeo Milano
1993 Saab 9000
san rensho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 01:57 PM   #5
Custom User Title Here

Garage
Never mind.

Last edited by particlewave; 06-01-2014 at 03:59 PM.
particlewave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 10:44 PM   #6

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by san rensho View Post
When you put it back together, be sure to torque the long studs into the body at the proper torque. If you just put them in finger tight, when you but the bolts on them, they will pull out of the body and you will be in a world of doo doo.

Most of the write ups on motor mount replacement omit this very important step.
Thanks for the tip. I got them ratchet tight but will go back under in a day or two and torque them see if they have come loose.
Old 06-24-2014, 10:40 AM   #7

Garage
the 2 top bolts don't have to come off just loosen them. I went to Harbor freight and got a set of long handle box wrenches. Loosened those 2 top bolts just enough to get it out. As far as the 2 lower bolts, I lowered the engine on the scissor jack an inch or 2 just enough to pull it out just like Pedro's directions say and I was able to get the motor mount out.
Old 06-24-2014, 11:35 PM   #8

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikesz View Post
the 2 top bolts don't have to come off just loosen them. I went to Harbor freight and got a set of long handle box wrenches. Loosened those 2 top bolts just enough to get it out. As far as the 2 lower bolts, I lowered the engine on the scissor jack an inch or 2 just enough to pull it out just like Pedro's directions say and I was able to get the motor mount out.
Thinking about it. I don't think I lowered the engine enough. The top two bolts were fine to loosen although a bit tight up there. It was the lower bolts it was just too long to remove it fully.

I will have another go at it. Hopefully this time I get it right. Will take the advice on board.
Old 06-25-2014, 04:39 AM   #9

Garage
Undo the two horizontal pipe mounts that go towards the front of the car... if you undo the two inner bolts the lower part of the bracket slides out of the upper part and the two pipes come loose. This allows you to flex the water hoses a little further at the back to get the mount out. Don't be afraid to bend those big rubber hoses a bit at the back - they wont break! Lowering the engine helps but be careful because the exhaust tips will contact the rear skirt and pry upwards if you lower it too much.
If you jack your car up from the rear only the engine will want to come forward slightly once you undo the mount in the front... its easier to do when the car is level... just sayin'
H
Heiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 01:18 PM   #10

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heiko View Post
Undo the two horizontal pipe mounts that go towards the front of the car... if you undo the two inner bolts the lower part of the bracket slides out of the upper part and the two pipes come loose. This allows you to flex the water hoses a little further at the back to get the mount out. Don't be afraid to bend those big rubber hoses a bit at the back - they wont break! Lowering the engine helps but be careful because the exhaust tips will contact the rear skirt and pry upwards if you lower it too much.
If you jack your car up from the rear only the engine will want to come forward slightly once you undo the mount in the front... its easier to do when the car is level... just sayin'
H
Yeah I see the big pipes. I up clipped them and tried to bend them out the way but clearly didn't want to do more damage so chickened out a bit if I am honest. And you are correct the car was jacked at the rear so car was not level. I will make sure it is next time. It might give me a better angle all round. 101projects says its a simple job I guess it is if you have the correct access and tools. I will get it done.

Cheers guys
Old 06-27-2014, 12:52 PM   #11

Glad I caught this, off next week for the "yearly Boxster maintenance cycle" and have the mount to replace... Mine is totally shot, can use a jack to raise and lower the front of the engine a good inch or two. Torque from a fast start the damn thing thumps bad...
psquared39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 11:39 AM   #12

removed my engine mount after hearing a jerk on low speed once in a while.

2 videos of the failed engine mount bushing.

https://youtu.be/aFAvyMW2AhA

https://youtu.be/i_A6maJQKJ8
Attached Images

ndfrigi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 08:30 PM   #13

update on new engine mount bushing

what a big difference

https://youtu.be/6YjT-a9n7MQ

https://youtu.be/jpsMlboXS7M
Attached Images

Old 04-05-2019, 07:34 AM   #14

Garage
How'd you get the bushing in?
Old 04-05-2019, 08:23 AM   #15

I have my own press but i don’t have the right diameter barrel. So I brought it to my regular shop and let them do the bushing replacement.
Old 04-05-2019, 11:43 AM   #16
Motorist & Coffee Drinker

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ciao View Post
How'd you get the bushing in?
I managed to get one in once starting with a hammer and the old bushing to push it, then clamps. What a mess. Next one I took to a local shop and they pressed it in for $25. Well worth it to have the shop do it if you don't have a press with the right set-up.

Here's a video I made last time I replaced the mount:
Old 04-05-2019, 02:01 PM   #17

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 78F350 View Post
I managed to get one in once starting with a hammer and the old bushing to push it, then clamps. What a mess. Next one I took to a local shop and they pressed it in for $25. Well worth it to have the shop do it if you don't have a press with the right set-up.

Here's a video I made last time I replaced the mount:
That's a great video and good narration. Thanks!