Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > DIY Project Guides

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-19-2018, 05:36 AM   #1

convert factory cup holder to a storage cubby ?

So my 02 S has the joke of a factory cup holder installed just below the center vents . Not only is it a flimsy POS if anything spills it can run down on the radio or HVAC controls . I would like to convert the cup holder to a storage cubby has anyone tried this ? Unless I'm wrong Porsche or the aftermarket does not make a simple replacement . So my thoughts are to gut the cup holder mechanisms but keep the frame work . And then maybe use a lower or upper storage cubby and make it fit the frame work all while trying to not make it look like $hit !

Or if one of you guys with a 3D printer want a project let's get this party started So if you have made your own how about some pics ? Or if you are considering this on your own what have you come up with to try ? I have a storage cubby kicking around in the garage that I removed from a previous 944S or a 911SC can't remember which but I'm going to try and use that to start with .

2002 Boxster S Arctic Silver with black top with glass window and black leather interior. Jake Raby 3.6 SS ( the beast ) with IMS Solution. 996 GT3 front bumper , GT3 rocker covers and GT3TEK rear diffuser and Joe Toth composites rear ducktail spoiler .
rfuerst911sc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2018, 07:43 AM   #2
There Is No Substitute.

Garage
I thought you could install the upper shelf where the cupholders are, however I cannot seem to find any confirmation on that from a cursory search. It would probably be easier to relocate your AC to the top position, you can then use an OEM trim piece around the top position AC, and install a shelf in any of the other three positions. Note that the lowest position cubby is different than then other two positions.
Old 12-19-2018, 09:43 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick3000 View Post
I thought you could install the upper shelf where the cupholders are, however I cannot seem to find any confirmation on that from a cursory search. It would probably be easier to relocate your AC to the top position, you can then use an OEM trim piece around the top position AC, and install a shelf in any of the other three positions. Note that the lowest position cubby is different than then other two positions.
You can configure those pretty much how you want them. Look here on Pelican, or maybe Suncoast or EBay to find the cubby tray, remove the cup holders and replace. Mine is configured with a double DIN stereo up top, cubby below, and HVAC at the bottom position. If you have a single DIN stereo and no CD or other “filler” you might need a blank plate. Another possibility is a car stereo install kit/plate. Crutchfield is usually a good source for things like that.

Here is an excellent cup holder solution. Just ditch the others. You can also buy ones that clip into the side air vents as well. This site doesn’t allow competitors links. Suncoast has a cup holder that fits in the console cubby. Works great.

https://www.********************************************** ******.com/product/411989.html

Last edited by Geof3; 12-19-2018 at 09:53 PM.
Geof3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2018, 01:37 AM   #4

I already have a pair of the Ultimate cup holders so I'm set there . And moving the AC/heat control to the top is just too easy for me as I like being different
2002 Boxster S Arctic Silver with black top with glass window and black leather interior. Jake Raby 3.6 SS ( the beast ) with IMS Solution. 996 GT3 front bumper , GT3 rocker covers and GT3TEK rear diffuser and Joe Toth composites rear ducktail spoiler .
rfuerst911sc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2018, 02:41 AM   #5

I can't remember what keeps a cubby fitting from fitting in the very top spot but it seems like with some trimming it would fit. I have my HVAC in the very top spot and a cubby below it. No lower console and no stereo
Old 12-20-2018, 04:42 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsnotanova View Post
I can't remember what keeps a cubby fitting from fitting in the very top spot but it seems like with some trimming it would fit. I have my HVAC in the very top spot and a cubby below it. No lower console and no stereo
I initially moved my radio 2nd spot from top to lower cubby position and put one of the storage bins in its place under AC controls. Storage bin fit, bit trim pieces did not match alignment with AC controls. Also seem to be able to pull out freely as well so not secure.
Hey Woody, off subject, tried to text you yesterday for drivers side bulb holder for 99. Got any?

redciv1 is offline   Reply With Quote