Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > DIY Project Guides

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-29-2011, 07:07 AM   #1

Just Performed OBC Hack - Thoughts

Hi everyone,

Last night I performed the On Board Computer hack -- activating and making useful the On Board Computer function on my 2003 986. Here are my thoughts for those interested:

1. This is well worth doing, and required about 90 minutes of work. I now have access to some data which I find particularly useful: outside temperature, distance to empty, and fuel economy. Other data like average speed I find less useful.

2. I did not install the original additional steering wheel stalk. In my view this is a massive, expensive additional hassle which provides no functional added benefit. It's far easier to install an additional rocker switch into a blank on the dash than having to pull out the steering wheel and all the mess that entails, IMHO. Besides, I would always rather hit a dash button than play around with a steering wheel stalk.

3. I used the instructions at Pelican contained here: Boxster On Board Computer Activation. These instructions miss two important points however. First, to remove the Torx screw behind the microphone cover requires a long ratchet extension. It's too far back to reach with a typical hand held Torx wrench. Second, it is far easier to run the wires from the new button location UP to the instrument cluster, than down from the instrument cluster.

4. I used my Durametric software/cable to activate the computer once the new switch was in place. Works perfectly!

ChairmanRon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 02:09 PM   #2
Opposed to Subie Burble

Garage
Thanks for the feedback, CharimanRon, very cool, and very helpful with those two tips beyond Wayne's writeup. If it's really that straightforward I think I'm really going to have to do this, especialy since I don't trust my fuel gauge all that much.

1997 Arctic Silver Boxster, 5-spd
IMSR + RMS
Robbins glass window top
Overdrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 01:32 PM   #3
jerryrocks

Garage
Hi Ron - is the Porsche diagnostic tool able to access the OBC settings?I just need to disable the speed limit beep (currently set at 28mph). Thanks!
jerryrocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 01:36 PM   #4

did you do cruise control as well?>
dbansal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 05:25 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerryrocks View Post
Hi Ron - is the Porsche diagnostic tool able to access the OBC settings?I just need to disable the speed limit beep (currently set at 28mph). Thanks!
I don't think so; the only setting I saw was to either enable or disable the OBC, which is available in both the Enthusiast version and the Pro version. I will be hooking it up to the car later today and I will check to see if there is a "reset" option or other way to access the OBC from durametric.

How did your chime get enabled? Did you used to have OBC but it became broken?

If you disconnect the battery, that would probably be one way to clear out the settings of the OBC including the chime.

I have OBC enabled but I don't have the stalk or buttons so the outside temp is all I get. And no chime thankfully.

Steve
steved0x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 04:15 PM   #6
jerryrocks

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by steved0x View Post
I don't think so; the only setting I saw was to either enable or disable the OBC, which is available in both the Enthusiast version and the Pro version. I will be hooking it up to the car later today and I will check to see if there is a "reset" option or other way to access the OBC from durametric.

How did your chime get enabled? Did you used to have OBC but it became broken?

If you disconnect the battery, that would probably be one way to clear out the settings of the OBC including the chime.

I have OBC enabled but I don't have the stalk or buttons so the outside temp is all I get. And no chime thankfully.

Steve
Hi Steve - I just bought the car last week and noticed the beep. I like the idea of disconnecting the battery to see if it clears the limit and will try it as soon as I get it back from the shop (cv boots, windshield and window regulator). Thanks!
jerryrocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 06:34 AM   #7

Garage
Exciting. I ordered a switch last night so I can do this upgrade on my 99. I already have the Durametric.

I haven't looked at the ABS since I thought it was the antilock brake controller?
jdlmodelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 06:42 AM   #8

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChairmanRon View Post

2. I did not install the original additional steering wheel stalk. In my view this is a massive, expensive additional hassle which provides no functional added benefit. It's far easier to install an additional rocker switch into a blank on the dash than having to pull out the steering wheel and all the mess that entails, IMHO. Besides, I would always rather hit a dash button than play around with a steering wheel stalk.
Adding the 4th stalk to your 3 stalk column is in fact very easy and does not require removal of the steering wheel. It took perhaps 15 minutes. FWIW, I'd rather use a stalk that's at my fingertips than remove my right hand from the wheel to use a switch in the dash.
Old 01-02-2015, 06:51 AM   #9

Garage
OBC Hack - 986 Series (Boxster, Boxster S) - RennTech.org Forums
Old 01-02-2015, 07:28 AM   #10

Garage
I did the OBC hack several years ago and also used a switch in one of the blank spots, on the dash, next to my right hand. Mine was done before Wayne published anything on it and the gauge cluster had to be removed to access the pin connection for the switch to work and the only thing I would add is if you do it that way is to put a towel on the dash to rest the cluster on while you are working on it as just the weight of the cluster will make a mark in the dash upholstery. It was well worth the effort to enable it.
Luv2Box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 04:14 PM   #11

I'm in the midst of this on my '01. Which of the three instrument cluster connectors did you add the wires to? I've got, left to right - Gray (only one wire), Blue (many wires), Green (many wires). The only connector that has open pins for locations 21-24 is the gray connector.
CBRacerX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 07:48 PM   #12

Garage
All of this info is in above link @RennTech.org. Have to be a member to view some items but is well worth it as that site is good for technical stuff .

In 2001 and up Boxsters the wires connect to the Grey Instrument Cluster connector in the following order.

#2 to pin #23 on grey cluster
#3 to pin #22 on grey cluster
#4 to pin # 21 on grey cluster
#5 to pin #24 on grey cluster

Last edited by Pirate50; 05-16-2017 at 07:53 PM.
Pirate50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 07:53 PM   #13

Thanks I did take a look at that link and found my answer. I am a member

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
‘11 958 S
https://dergarage.com
Old 05-25-2017, 02:03 PM   #14

As an update I got my onboard computer working just fine using the pin numbers above for the gray connector and all is well

‘11 958 S
https://dergarage.com