View Single Post
Old 10-29-2011, 07:07 AM   #1
ChairmanRon

Just Performed OBC Hack - Thoughts

Hi everyone,

Last night I performed the On Board Computer hack -- activating and making useful the On Board Computer function on my 2003 986. Here are my thoughts for those interested:

1. This is well worth doing, and required about 90 minutes of work. I now have access to some data which I find particularly useful: outside temperature, distance to empty, and fuel economy. Other data like average speed I find less useful.

2. I did not install the original additional steering wheel stalk. In my view this is a massive, expensive additional hassle which provides no functional added benefit. It's far easier to install an additional rocker switch into a blank on the dash than having to pull out the steering wheel and all the mess that entails, IMHO. Besides, I would always rather hit a dash button than play around with a steering wheel stalk.

3. I used the instructions at Pelican contained here: Boxster On Board Computer Activation. These instructions miss two important points however. First, to remove the Torx screw behind the microphone cover requires a long ratchet extension. It's too far back to reach with a typical hand held Torx wrench. Second, it is far easier to run the wires from the new button location UP to the instrument cluster, than down from the instrument cluster.

4. I used my Durametric software/cable to activate the computer once the new switch was in place. Works perfectly!
ChairmanRon is offline   Reply With Quote