Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > DIY Project Guides

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-14-2015, 04:21 PM   #1
On the slippery slope

Garage
Bluetooth and In-dash USB

With the older non MOST bus radios, its a simple cable to add and AUX input or even a phone connection. You can just plug into the CD changer connection on the radio. That is not possible with the CDR-23 from 2002 on

Since the CDR-23 does not have an AUX input or Bluetooth, I have been searching for a low cost solution to add Bluetooth for hands free phone and streaming audio.

I was using a JABRA Freeway Bluetooth handsfree on my visor and it has a FM modulator in it. Worked pretty well, just had to keep remembering to charge it.

In searching I came across this little Bluetooth FM modulator that was not integrated into a lighter plug. I use that for my GPS unit

I came across this
Amazon.com: Rii ® Geartist GB01 Wireless Bluetooth Car Kit FM Transmitter with LCD Screen and Hands Free Calling

I ordered it and it works great.

I mounted it just to the right of the gauge cluster

I did not want to have a cord dangling and have to plug it in every time I drive the car, so I searched for a USB converter. At first I was going to go with one that had a single USB output, then thought it would be cool to have a 2nd one as well . I found this one that looked perfect for what I had in mind.
I powered it up from the switched 12V in the phone connector under the console

Amazon.com: DROK® 8-22V 12V to 5V/3A DC Power Transformer DC Buck Voltage Converter Volt Step Down Module with Dual USB Cable Connector

Then a light bulb went off and I thought it would be great to have the USB port dash mounted rather than just dangling

Had a spare older style switch blank and saw that a USB connector would fit nicely. You want an older style as they are not sculpted on top like the newer ones

The older part number is: 996.552.425.00. the newer one is 996.613.425.10
You can see the difference below. The top one is the newer style

I used a dremel to cut out the switch blank for the USB connector and then JB Weld to glue it in place

I had to move the rear window defogger switch to the other side as I did not want a plugged in USB cable to interfere with the gear shift

I ran the cable from the Bluetooth thing around the back of the cluster surround and underneath the horseshoe. You can see a little bit of the cable in the pic

2014 Porsche Performance Driving School
2020 BMW X3, 2013 Ram 1500, 2016 Cmax, 2004 F-150 "Big Red"
JayG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 05:41 PM   #2
98 Arctic silver 986

Garage
Nice mod . Looks good.
tommy583 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2015, 01:26 AM   #3
Tyler

Garage
Good idea. The MOST makes things very difficult. I recently installed an iSimple bluetooth adapter that sounds similar to what you put in (link below). The iSimple uses an app on my iphone to set the frequency, so I don't need the display that you put on the right of the instrument cluster. I have one small button to initiate contact with the unit, and i located it on the center console just to the bottom left of the radio (easy to tap when my hand is on shifter).

I might try to add a USB input similar to what you did. Right now I have a cigarette adapter, but it sticks out of the cigarette lighter pretty far.

http://www.amazon.com/iSimple-Hands-Free-Calling-Streaming-Smartphones/dp/B00FRU5UNA/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1442655069&sr=8-3&keywords=isimple
redbox986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 07:29 PM   #5
On the slippery slope

Garage
^^^
I have a bunch of those
I use the power socket for my GPS. I much prefer having the USB in the dash
Old 10-10-2015, 03:02 AM   #6
Project Addicted

Thanks for posting this. I did end up ordering a small ciggy plug in thing as it was easier and I can be a bit lazy at times...
1986 944, 2000 Boxster
jcslocum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2015, 06:22 AM   #7
On the slippery slope

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcslocum View Post
Thanks for posting this. I did end up ordering a small ciggy plug in thing as it was easier and I can be a bit lazy at times...
I don't think lazy is a good word to describe you based on your threads
Old 04-07-2021, 04:03 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayG View Post
With the older non MOST bus radios, its a simple cable to add and AUX input or even a phone connection. You can just plug into the CD changer connection on the radio. That is not possible with the CDR-23 from 2002 on

Since the CDR-23 does not have an AUX input or Bluetooth, I have been searching for a low cost solution to add Bluetooth for hands free phone and streaming audio.

I was using a JABRA Freeway Bluetooth handsfree on my visor and it has a FM modulator in it. Worked pretty well, just had to keep remembering to charge it.

In searching I came across this little Bluetooth FM modulator that was not integrated into a lighter plug. I use that for my GPS unit

I came across this
Amazon.com: Rii ® Geartist GB01 Wireless Bluetooth Car Kit FM Transmitter with LCD Screen and Hands Free Calling

I ordered it and it works great.

I mounted it just to the right of the gauge cluster

I did not want to have a cord dangling and have to plug it in every time I drive the car, so I searched for a USB converter. At first I was going to go with one that had a single USB output, then thought it would be cool to have a 2nd one as well . I found this one that looked perfect for what I had in mind.
I powered it up from the switched 12V in the phone connector under the console

Amazon.com: DROK® 8-22V 12V to 5V/3A DC Power Transformer DC Buck Voltage Converter Volt Step Down Module with Dual USB Cable Connector

Then a light bulb went off and I thought it would be great to have the USB port dash mounted rather than just dangling

Had a spare older style switch blank and saw that a USB connector would fit nicely. You want an older style as they are not sculpted on top like the newer ones

The older part number is: 996.552.425.00. the newer one is 996.613.425.10
You can see the difference below. The top one is the newer style

I used a dremel to cut out the switch blank for the USB connector and then JB Weld to glue it in place

I had to move the rear window defogger switch to the other side as I did not want a plugged in USB cable to interfere with the gear shift

I ran the cable from the Bluetooth thing around the back of the cluster surround and underneath the horseshoe. You can see a little bit of the cable in the pic

Hi. Can you remember what type of JB Weld glue you used to glue the USB socket in the plastic switch blank? And has it stayed in place? It seems like the blank is made of the inert awkward plastic that most glues won't bond to. JB Weld do a few different glues

Tricky54 is offline   Reply With Quote