Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > DIY Project Guides

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-29-2009, 08:12 AM   #1

How to remove muffler?

Does anyone know how to remove the muffler on a 01 S?
I've done my research and tried to remove it but it won't come off.
I've loosened the bolts that connect the pipes to the secondary cats, the ones that link directly to the secondary cats and the bolt that is in the center at the bottom of the muffler. Everything seems to be loose and when I pull the muffler towards the back, it still won't come off. It seems and though something is still stuck at the top center portion of the muffler where I can't see. Any suggestions?
Thanks.

geetee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 09:56 AM   #2

Garage
there are two suspension (as in two places suspending the exhaust) points for the exhaust you have to release them along with the two bolts behind the bumper then you take off the two U pipes going from the secondary cat to the muffler remove it on both sides and you should be able to remove the muffler
Lobo1186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 09:58 AM   #3

Garage
oh and i forgot you need (usually unless you are really nifty) to remove the spoiler>bumperskin> and bumper in order to get at the top bolts of the muffler.
Lobo1186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 05:50 AM   #4

Remove the rear bumper cover and the points will be obvious. I know some have removed without taking off the bumper cover, but my arms can't bend six ways.
PCA DE Instructor circa '95
jmatta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 07:28 AM   #5
JTP

Here's a link to a Boxster muffler removal thread with pictures. They seem to leave the bumper cover on.

Boxster Muffler Removal
JTP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 04:52 PM   #6

Thanks. That helps a lot. I'm trying to remove it without removing the bumper and that link shows 2 13mm bolts. Is that 2 on each side or are the 2 in the center?

One last question. Why do aftermarket exhausts have crossovers between the left and right mufflers? I'm doing a custom exhaust and wondering if the crossover (commonly knows as h or x pipe on domestic cars) is needed.
Thanks
geetee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2014, 02:59 PM   #7

You don't have to remove the bumper to remove the muffler, it's actually quite easy. The two bolts that hold the muffler in place are attached to a Long Band type bar that runs the length of the muffler. It is very flexible, just remove the nuts and flex the bar thingie until the studs come pull free and it will come right off. I'm not exaggerating, it will take you about 5 minutes to remove the muffler, I've done it.

Last edited by Slate 01; 12-28-2014 at 06:49 AM.
Slate 01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 10:40 AM   #8

woohoo!

I needed this info thanks Im looking to install a Magnaflow custom set up and this saves on the labor time!!!!
Specwar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 11:26 AM   #9

Garage
The five year muffler removal project ! First post from 2009 hehe
Redboxs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 06:30 PM   #10

How does one gain access to the 13mm nuts. So am I correct that if I just get the nuts off (and all the other clamps) I can push the exhaust tips towards the ground and the muffler will pull from the studs and drop? What should I expect when trying to put back on? Any surprises?
Thanks
DWBOX2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 03:58 AM   #11

Use lots of penetrating lube on the nuts and clamps that hold the U shaped pipe. Those pipes can be a ******************** to get off sometimes. I slightly tap on them with a hammer to get them free. Don't hit them too hard or you could crack them. I think the biggest surprise is how heavy the muffler is. The thing is a 33lbs boat anchor!!!
Old 02-02-2017, 04:48 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsnotanova View Post
Use lots of penetrating lube on the nuts and clamps that hold the U shaped pipe. Those pipes can be a ******************** to get off sometimes. I slightly tap on them with a hammer to get them free. Don't hit them too hard or you could crack them. I think the biggest surprise is how heavy the muffler is. The thing is a 33lbs boat anchor!!!
Those clamps were the ones that gave me the most trouble as well.

And the PSE is a 59 pound (but sweet sounding) boat anchor The TopSpeed/Manzo/Beluga are 19 pounds I think. A big weight savings.

Last edited by steved0x; 02-02-2017 at 08:49 AM.
steved0x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 05:32 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTP View Post
Here's a link to a Boxster muffler removal thread with pictures. They seem to leave the bumper cover on.

Boxster Muffler Removal
This is pretty interesting, DWBOX2000 check out step 7, I didn't do it this way, I left those bolts on and removed the two bolts on top I sent you the picture of. This way looks easier in terms of leaving the bumper on. You can always try it, and if you get jammed up, quickly pull the bumper cover for more access if needed.

The TopSpeed/Manzo/Beluga Mufflers are easier to put on than the old one is to take off...
Old 02-02-2017, 08:37 AM   #14

Simple version- worked for me.
Start by removing the headers, not fighting with the muffler.If you break a header bolt, you have plenty of time to do the helicoil and s/s stud kit upgrade.
The first time it is probably easier to remove the bumper cover because the whole system attachment is so odd. Kroil is your friend if you give him the days to work. The U tubes are horrid. If you need replacement bolts ,they are metric Carriage bolts available from Bolt Depot and the like.
The weight is a serious issue if you are not ready for it. Be careful. On a rack we use tall jack stands with a foot pedal and 2 people.Drop one of those and it will be a bad day !
Gelbster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 08:48 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsnotanova View Post
Those pipes can be a ******************** to get off sometimes.
Woody can you PM me the website you reference above about removing the pipes? It got removed somehow... :dance:
Old 02-02-2017, 10:30 AM   #16

Garage
I must be missing something. Why would you want to remove those 4 bolts on the top of the muffler to the hanger? When I did mine I removed the two bolts from the hanger to the bracket on the back of the trans. Since the bolts are captured on the hanger you don't even need to back them up. The muffler hangs on the bolts until you're in position to handle the muffler. Remove last and install first, easy. I didn't even have to remove the cover over the shift linkage.

For clarity I'm talking about the bolts that attach thru the 2 holes on the top of this bracket.

Last edited by 911monty; 02-02-2017 at 11:01 AM.
911monty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 12:49 PM   #17

Bracket

Although I have not removed my muffler, has anyone made "swiss cheese" out of the large bracket to reduce a little weight? I assume it is made out of aluminum and doesn't weigh much to begin with. And, compared to the 33 pound muffler it's like shoot peas at a gorilla but every little bit helps, right?
Jgkram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 06:24 PM   #18

Now I just had the ims done 1k miles ago. Should this make taking anything apart easier? Someone mentioned it would but not sure.
I posted to this yesterday and then couldn't find it. Sorry to ask with two posts.
Old 02-02-2017, 06:35 PM   #19

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DWBOX2000 View Post
Now I just had the ims done 1k miles ago. Should this make taking anything apart easier? Someone mentioned it would but not sure.
I posted to this yesterday and then couldn't find it. Sorry to ask with two posts.
The clamps on the U bends should be easier to remove, just spray liberally with your favorite penetrant, Kroil PB blaster etc. While that is soaking remove the lower wire support and the bolts on the cats. Loosen and slide the clamps off the U bend pipes onto the muffler inlets. You don't HAVE to remove the U bends but it will make things easier if you do. Go up between the muffler and the back of the trans and remove the 2 nuts on the bracket In my picture. The bolts are attached to the metal hanger strap so you do not need to have a back up. Roll the top of the muffler to the rear and it will drop out.

edit: You will need a 3/8" ratchet and some good Deep sockets. I like 6 point sockets for exhaust work.

Last edited by 911monty; 02-02-2017 at 06:39 PM.
911monty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 04:04 AM   #20

I just looked in where the muffler comes out. I can see the heads of the bolts (studs) I think. So the nuts are one the side facings towards the front? I was thinking nuts on side facing back. Remove nuts and push muffler towards front? Are the studs connected to car or do they just pop out? If they pop out, won't they just spin when I try to put nuts back on?

Thanks, lots of questions.

I