Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > DIY Project Guides

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-27-2017, 08:00 AM   #61

Quote:
Originally Posted by steved0x View Post
Do you have any other color options for the center cap crest?
I'll ask the manufacturer is he's willing to run a 'small' batch of silver for you. Not sure what you'll do with the remaining 496 crests though. Can I take a few off you?!

But seriously, that silver a good idea Steve (speaking of a humble look). I'll see what I can do to convince him to run this low'er for us and let you and other know. Got to wait until CNY is passed though... out of a billion+ ppl nobody other than myself works during that time of the year. Stay tuned buddy

(ps. thx for the idea btw )

Old 01-27-2017, 08:08 AM   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nine8Six View Post
Not sure what you'll do with the remaining 496 crests though.
I could put them on all my other cars
steved0x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2017, 08:48 AM   #63

Garage
Quote:
This looks AMAZING! you have out done yourself once again
2000 Boxster S, SPEC stage 1 clutch, Fabspeed sport headers, Fabspeed secondary cat deletes, Billy&Boat muffler, EVOM air intake, Ben006's Custom Short Shifter, Pedro's TechnoBrace, Eibach rear sway bar, De-snorkeled, Fred's custom projector HL
Dubaday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2017, 09:00 AM   #64

Too kind man, thanks!!!
Old 01-27-2017, 10:30 AM   #65

Garage
Beautiful, Fred. Like the champagne flutes in the background; love the new product.
Old 01-28-2017, 02:46 AM   #66

Glad Chinese New Year's firework finally stopped. War zone stuff. Had time this afternoon to take those prototypes out for a ride in the front garden for their first photo-shoot. Guess it's official now "I really sux at taking pics" lollll

I do have medium-to-great skills in Photoshop however e.g that first pic is the bleu cap in grayscale (faked). Tried to mimic what it would look like in Gun Metal but it did canceled the shine that gun metal naturally comes with. Regardless, gives a good idea!

Using my old twities here as this is probably the most popular wheel in use these days. Gives a good idea of how those protrude out of the wheel and how the fit looks like. I promise I'll rig some rendering of the same wheel, and others (e.g. Carrera Sport 18s) both in silver and in black wheel colors for you guys to see.

Do we need laser markings on those? They look like they could do with some

Last edited by Nine8Six; 01-28-2017 at 05:11 AM.
Nine8Six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 02:55 AM   #67

Garage
They look great; love the profile. I agree that the laser markings would be a plus, if similar to those on the higher profile caps. Great work, Fred. Amazing.
Old 01-28-2017, 05:11 AM   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjc2050 View Post
I agree that the laser markings would be a plus, if similar to those on the higher profile caps.
hmm I agree too. I think I'll just use the previous laser script so we can retain consistency between both style, and future ones(who knows)

Thx Kevin
Old 01-28-2017, 07:53 AM   #69

Quote:
Dude I think its what they put in the cheese these days :/

Already at balancing this assembly Jay. Doing the 1800RPM(223km/hr) currently. Hopefully be done with counter-weighting the center/badge by tomorrow so I can (finally) send this to CAM. I'm actually really eager to see them myself.

Secret: good tools man... makes for an easy job. Prototypes are always spot on

新年快乐!

Ahhhhh the old balance feature hidden under the crest trick.....my brain is too dull these days to have figured this out was wondering about this on the CGT models.

Have a great celebration!
Old 01-28-2017, 08:35 AM   #70

Garage
Fred Now you got me thinking of how to protect these works of art. I can't imagine that many tire shops would remove the caps with the care that they deserve so, I'm thinking about a tool, wouldn't take much, round tapered fitting with a handle and stops, that could be inserted from the backside of the wheel that would compress the locking clips only enough to remove the caps for wheel/tire service. Might provide for ease of removal and not stress the clips. Yeah I think these caps are that nice.

Last edited by 911monty; 01-28-2017 at 09:13 AM.
911monty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 09:25 AM   #71

Good call and observation. Point taken

Clip's stress is accounted for "if they don't bend passed their contact path" (contact path: see CAE video). So it will be okay to apply a flat object on a clip and gently knock the clips out as you do with any other CC. Works actually quite well. What you CAN'T do is e.g. use a flat screw driver and pry them off. But I'm convinced that most shops wouldn't do that and knows the 'knock on cap' technique. Could be wrong, you just never know (good luck to you guys lollll)

Could add a Owner's Manual with the kit Maybe a small sticker inside the cap would be better
Old 01-29-2017, 12:40 PM   #72

So to remove these caps you remove the wheel/tire assy from the car and take something like a hammer handle and hit it to pop them out correct ? I see nothing wrong with that . Really can't think of a circumstance where the cap has to be removed while the wheel/tire are still on the car ?
Oh and silver color is what I would want also .
2002 Boxster S Arctic Silver with black top with glass window and black leather interior. Jake Raby 3.6 SS ( the beast ) with IMS Solution. 996 GT3 front bumper , GT3 rocker covers and GT3TEK rear diffuser and Joe Toth composites rear ducktail spoiler .
rfuerst911sc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2017, 01:01 PM   #73

Location: Nanaimo, Vancouver Island, British Columbia, Canada
I'm going to need a set in red Fred! I should just send you my visa number for any of your future creations lol
Fintro11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2017, 01:05 PM   #74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fintro11 View Post
I'm going to need a set in red Fred! I should just send you my visa number for any of your future creations lol
Thanks Martin, will be in touch soon (loll visa#)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rfuerst911sc View Post
So to remove these caps you remove the wheel/tire assy from the car and take something like a hammer handle and hit it to pop them out correct ? I see nothing wrong with that . Really can't think of a circumstance where the cap has to be removed while the wheel/tire are still on the car ?
Oh and silver color is what I would want also .
Correct. Align a flat surface onto one or two clips and knock it out of its place basically. I've re-used the common clip concept so everything will 'feel' deja-vu when you do it for the first time, no worries on that. Just need to be careful when you do, hold the cap with the other hand because they kinda 'pop' out at much higher velocity than the porsche caps lollll

Again, Acetal; nasty strong. They clamp with 8702psi of pressure (60megapascal) so don't think anyone will be able to pull them from the outside manually. Sadly you'll need to remove the wheel if you need to remove your cap (for whatever reason you'd had other than wheel balancing).

Last edited by Nine8Six; 01-29-2017 at 01:14 PM.
Nine8Six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2017, 01:50 PM   #75

Options

Fred, again, your work is simply outstanding and I will want a set of these regardless of
the final design. I also realize that you cannot accommodate everyone but, by chance, will there be any availability for options? I am a one for simple tastes. I think the "Porsche" wording at 180 degree on the cap works well but the added laser markings detract from the overall beauty and simplicity of the design. Either way they are a winner.
Jgkram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2017, 02:04 PM   #76

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jgkram View Post
but the added laser markings detract ,,,,
hmmm. You are not the first who tells me this. Got the vector file open now but will wait until I have a few drafts before uploading samples. Hope you can stick around and let me know what you think when this comes out mate (in few days I guess).

thx btw
Old 01-29-2017, 06:32 PM   #77

Garage
I really like the look of these, you come up with best ideas. I would like to put in my vote for a black and orange version as it's the best color combination on a boxster, or at least it is on the one I drive.

Alex
alex.rhodes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 06:31 AM   #78

These really look fantastic, I will definitely be interested in acquiring a set.

Jim
tommydorsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 09:44 AM   #79

Alex, thanks! Agree on the color combo, not bad looking at all however I don't plan on getting them in that combo. Not that I don;t want, its because I can;t mate. Just won't match to that orange tone you are talking about (gt3 rs?)

My advice is as soon as they available ask me to clear anodized them. I'll seal them as they come out of the distilled cold water rinse and bag/seal them right after the dry. That way when you receive them they are essentially degreased and ready for spraying. No primer is required as anodizing open pores in the aluminum (if not sealed after) and that's what makes paint hold so well. Anyway, that's one option for you bud

Jim - thanks and looking forward! Keeping a set for you in case you are still interested when they come out
Old 01-30-2017, 09:55 AM   #80

I am looking forward to these! Only things I'll need to decide is whether to buy red or silver and if there is an alternative option to the center crest. How do people think the red would look with red brake calipers and either 18 inch Lt. Carrera or 17 inch Boxster II wheels in their stock silver car on a seal gray car? I already have Fred's projector beams in gunmetal, so maybe gunmetal would be the way to go?

PaulE is offline   Reply With Quote