Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > DIY Project Guides

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-05-2016, 09:23 AM   #21
NOTA550

I like the ones on the rear, I think the designer was trying to copy the Boxster Spyder wheels. I've seen similar ones on eBay for $550 to $650 for a set of 4 depending on the finish. Most of the Boxster wheels I see are $1500 + so these seem like a bargain. Nice to see them on the car, I think they would look good on my silver S.

BH2000S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 08:00 AM   #22

Neither.

Always for me, nobody does better than the factory when it comes to wheel styling, and even then I'd restrict that to wheels for the particular model, i.e. not something from a later model, etc.

The thing about aftermarket wheels is that's it's always pretty difficult to tell whether they are PepBoys $100 specials or something a little more worthy. If they are BBS that's special, and there may be some other European aftermarket wheels with some class as well. They should be on Formula 1 or LeMans racers to have the cachet worthy of Porsche.

One of the funniest things was in the old days of the Mercedes 450SL--these cars came with forged wheels that cost at the time something like $450 each and all you could get aftermarket were $100 cast wheels. It was quite a quality downgrade.
2007 GL320 CDI, 2010 CL550
2 BMW motorcycles

Last edited by lkchris; 01-06-2016 at 08:03 AM.
lkchris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 08:54 AM   #23
New Porsche Fan

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkchris View Post
Neither.

Always for me, nobody does better than the factory when it comes to wheel styling, and even then I'd restrict that to wheels for the particular model, i.e. not something from a later model, etc.

The thing about aftermarket wheels is that's it's always pretty difficult to tell whether they are PepBoys $100 specials or something a little more worthy. If they are BBS that's special, and there may be some other European aftermarket wheels with some class as well. They should be on Formula 1 or LeMans racers to have the cachet worthy of Porsche.

One of the funniest things was in the old days of the Mercedes 450SL--these cars came with forged wheels that cost at the time something like $450 each and all you could get aftermarket were $100 cast wheels. It was quite a quality downgrade.
Interesting perspective here...I tend to agree with this with most high end vehicles. Aftermarket wheels tend to "cheapen" the look of a true luxury or sports car...HOWEVER, with a 15 year old Porsche I feel that this approach of updated lights, sound, side markers, etc bring it new life. I don't dislike the factory 17s but I think that since I've gone in this direction why not "beef it up". To each his own my friend....btw - I STILL haven't made up my mind on which set to go with but will go ahead and order the tires now
2008 Black VW Eos
2010 Charcoal Ford Flex
imari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2016, 03:50 PM   #24
New Porsche Fan

Garage
wheels

Finally made a decision about which 19s to go with...thoughts?

2008 Black VW Eos
2010 Charcoal Ford Flex
Old 01-28-2016, 10:02 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by imari View Post
I've finally found some wheels that I think I'll put on my 2001 Boxster. I'm upgrading to 19" but I'm a bit torn...here are some illustrations of what I'm debating. There are 2 slightly different ones that I'm debating...all thoughts are welcome.

The ones on the FRONT or REAR????

Upgrade?

I think it's a downgrade. You'll hate the ride. You'll hate trying to dodge potholes and manhole covers.
Tcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 10:24 AM   #26

Thoughts? I still think they are too big and simply dominate the visual. All I see when I look at the car is the wheels. Too much.
Old 01-28-2016, 12:01 PM   #27

I think they look better on the car than they did in the rendering.
steved0x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 12:04 PM   #28
98 Arctic silver 986

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by steved0x View Post
I think they look better on the car than they did in the rendering.
I agree. I don't love them, but they look much better than they did in the rendering.
tommy583 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 12:34 PM   #29
New Porsche Fan

Garage
Some of you like them so of you don't ....but for me - they work just fine. No problems with the ride or potholes, etc. In person it gives the entire car some "weight". I like them! See you on the road good people!
2008 Black VW Eos
2010 Charcoal Ford Flex
Old 01-28-2016, 12:54 PM   #30

Garage
Quote:
Some of you like them so of you don't ....but for me - they work just fine. No problems with the ride or potholes, etc. In person it gives the entire car some "weight". I like them! See you on the road good people!
They look nice and I'm glad you like them. Just be careful. The extra sidewall you're missing will only serve to make that tire much more flatten able.
jdraupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 01:04 PM   #31
98 Arctic silver 986

Garage
Quote:
As long as you like them then nothing else matters. I don't think they look bad at all. I just liked the other wheels you were thinking about better . The wheels you picked do look a lot like the Spyder wheels though. I've done things to my car people didn't seem to agree with, but in the end it makes me happy.
tommy583 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 04:06 PM   #32
New Porsche Fan

Garage
Ride Happy

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy583 View Post
As long as you like them then nothing else matters. I don't think they look bad at all. I just liked the other wheels you were thinking about better . The wheels you picked do look a lot like the Spyder wheels though. I've done things to my car people didn't seem to agree with, but in the end it makes me happy.
Words of wisdom. Thanks and Cheers!

2008 Black VW Eos
2010 Charcoal Ford Flex