Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > DIY Project Guides

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-19-2016, 06:46 PM   #321

Wow Ben.

I put 200 miles on the car today. Pulls much harder across the rpm range. I'm thrilled with the results. The quality of the piece is clear to see when you look at it, but the proof is in the pudding, and I have to say the pudding is pretty good.

I am headed back to the dyno (hopefully next week, waiting for a time from the shop) to verify the gains. Once that's done I will post about the install. Cliff's notes: 987 box is a pain (we knew that) Ben's Plenum is easy peasy; I also came up with a decent way to attach both using existing silicone piping and a bit of aluminum pipe. Stay tuned!

eddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 03:03 PM   #322

This P0306 code has hampered my ability to drive my car. It ran fine before. I pulled off a coil from another boxster and it did th e same thing. Flashing p0306. So what I have done:
1 coolant flush
2 oil change
3 pulled off intake/fuel rail/injectors and painted
4 plug change
5 tb and plenum change.

Would the fuel injector have anything to do with this code? I haven't really driven the car, just around the block a few times. It has no power.
madmodz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 03:55 PM   #323
Ben-Auto-Design

the code came after the plug change right ?

Make sure you have a spark on cylinder number 6.
If you removed the injectors, did you change the seals?

One thing you can do is swap the plug/coil or injector (one at a time) from cylinder 6 to another and see if the code moves to that cylinder, once it moves, you've found what is causing the trouble
Ben-Auto-Design : Performance parts for 9X6 / 9X7
1982 928 S Euro
Ben006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 04:04 PM   #324

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben006 View Post
the code came after the plug change right ?

Make sure you have a spark on cylinder number 6.
If you removed the injectors, did you change the seals?

One thing you can do is swap the plug/coil or injector (one at a time) from cylinder 6 to another and see if the code moves to that cylinder, once it moves, you've found what is causing the trouble
Yes, put new seals on the injectors, but had no ideal if they are balanced.

After I put back on the intake manifold, it wouldn't rev right. I was thinking I had a fowl plug. This was before I added your plenum, so I know that's not the issue. Tonight Im pulling the whole sides coils off and pushing them back in.

To check for spark, I put the plug in the coil and ground it while trying to start the car right?
Old 10-25-2016, 02:37 PM   #325
Ben-Auto-Design

I believe the coils ground through the bolt, so you have to have them in place :/

keep us in touch!
1982 928 S Euro
Old 10-28-2016, 06:30 AM   #326

I have a dyno session set for tuesday am. i'll share results then!
Old 10-28-2016, 02:44 PM   #327
Ben-Auto-Design

Cool! Can't wait to know!

I think all three of you have put it in?

It's soon time to make them available!

If you're interested, you can already send me a PM!

Once I'm done with the shifters, the plenums are next!

Ben
1982 928 S Euro
Old 10-29-2016, 02:13 AM   #328

Hi guys
I'm a bit behind on this due to holiday and work commitments. Also the 2 hoses I ordered came wrong so hope to get on with soon

Last edited by mavis.d; 10-29-2016 at 02:18 AM.
mavis.d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2016, 04:12 PM   #329

After switching coils, I'm still pulling the P0306 code. Car wouldn't rev pass 2000. I unplugged the MAF and it revved fine. So next thing is I'm going to pull the MAF off another boxster and try it out. So heads up, if you pull one of these codes, unplug the MAF to see if it clears up the problem.
Old 11-05-2016, 12:00 PM   #330
Ben-Auto-Design

Weird that it only misfire on one cylinder though.
You might have a dirty cyl 6 injector too.
1982 928 S Euro
Old 11-05-2016, 12:18 PM   #331

The injectors have a little disc filter in them.That may be plugged ? The injectors are pigs to remove with the engine in the car. Really need the special tool.
Gelbster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2016, 05:49 PM   #332

All right everyone, sorry for the delay.

I put 350 or so miles on the car after the 987 airbox and ben plenum/big tb install. It feels significantly stronger and the sound is better/louder than the desnorkeled 986 box i had before. I felt from the midrange up it really woke up the engine. From a "feel" perspective, this has been a wonderful upgrade.

Unfortunately I only got 3hp and 3tq according to the dyno (223 hp up to 226, 196tq up to 199). Temps were within a few degrees of one another, humidity was similar. I was quite surprised about the results. In order to better understand if my car is an anomaly it'd be great to see the results from a couple other cars.

The dyno guy (Hutter performance-- typically a GM tuner, but they had, of all things, a 962 there for a tune when I was there. They're a really well-respected shop in Northeast Ohio) said there was room for more power if I got a tune, but he didn't think there was a lot there to be gained.

So the numbers don't appear to be there, on my car, anyway, but if I hadn't gotten it dynoed I would've thought this was a solid 15 hp+ upgrade. Wish I could have reported a more positive result, and I hope I am an anomaly! I'm still very happy to have done this, though.
Old 11-11-2016, 07:50 AM   #333

Eddy,

Thanks for posting the results. Did you get a graph showing output through the rev range? I would think with the mod there is more area under the curve, ie there is more power throughout the rev range vs being 'peaky'. I think max values are interesting, however more so is how much more power you are getting across all engine speeds. This is likely why you are feeling more of a positive difference than reflected in the max hp and tq values.
Old 11-11-2016, 08:29 AM   #334

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddy View Post

I put 350 or so miles on the car after the 987 airbox and ben plenum/big tb install. It feels significantly stronger and the sound is better/louder than the desnorkeled 986 box i had before. I felt from the midrange up it really woke up the engine. From a "feel" perspective, this has been a wonderful upgrade.

Unfortunately I only got 3hp and 3tq according to the dyno (223 hp up to 226, 196tq up to 199). Temps were within a few degrees of one another, humidity was similar. I was quite surprised about the results. In order to better understand if my car is an anomaly it'd be great to see the results from a couple other cars.

The dyno guy (Hutter performance-- typically a GM tuner, but they had, of all things, a 962 there for a tune when I was there. They're a really well-respected shop in Northeast Ohio) said there was room for more power if I got a tune, but he didn't think there was a lot there to be gained.

So the numbers don't appear to be there, on my car, anyway, but if I hadn't gotten it dynoed I would've thought this was a solid 15 hp+ upgrade. Wish I could have reported a more positive result, and I hope I am an anomaly! I'm still very happy to have done this, though.
From what we have seen, your results are about average, with most of the small gains at the high end of the RPM curve.
Old 11-11-2016, 02:15 PM   #335

I've been driving for little over a year with this mod and equally surprised at such low numbers. My experience with this mod is a bit of low end sacrifice with great mid/top. I've got to give it more gas out of the hole mostly due to the bigger TB but once past 4k it really wakes up. Acceleration is greatly improved once past that 4K area and quickly reaches redline.

On another note, before I swapped to the larger TB I ran just the stock 987 airbox and that alone made a big difference with the old setup. Just wanted to pass that on in case one would under go that route. So, I'm thinking a lot of the gains were probably mostly due to the 987 air supply.
Lapister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2016, 06:00 AM   #336

I have found this mod to be wonderful! I did what is mostly this mod about 300 miles ago - I installed a 997 TB and plenum while keeping the stock 986 air box. I have a 986S with 2nd cat deletes, Crios mod muffler, and UDP. Also have a fresh MAF and spark plugs.

Just updating the throttle body and plenum has yielded fantastic gains for me - although subjective (no dyno) it is clear the car has increased power throughout the rev range and is much more responsive. My car always had great power above 5k rpm however was a little flat under 4k, as if it was waiting for a turbo to spool up. I wanted more uniform power delivery. With new TB and plenum it feels like I have a new engine - really opens it up from lower RPM's and loses much of the 'choked down' feeling. Character of engine feels more like a 911.

I am sure that Ben's plenum will bring great results as his design has smoother curves - and be easier to install. This is an easy, cheap mod that is highly impactful and one that I recommend.
Old 11-13-2016, 06:29 AM   #337
Ben-Auto-Design

Thanks for the feedbacks on your experiences guys, even though you're using a different solution

I also was really surprised with the results as I felt the same as you!

A flatter power curve, a small loss below 2000rpm, but a solid gain between 2000 and 4000, and still better breathing after.

You can see here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i6wD-U7kONc that I'm always in second gear, between 3 and 4500rpm, and the car doesn't lack power despite having 117 000miles! No problem initiating a drift either!

I want to start selling them, but I really believe that you NEED supporting mods to get results.

Mavis, Madmodz, any update on yours ?

Ben
1982 928 S Euro
Old 11-13-2016, 06:51 AM   #338
WALDMEISTER

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddy View Post

That is what counts, your satisfaction!
I bought the complete IPD package and it is noticeably louder and pulls stronger...and gas mileage went up a little. They (IPD) show an average of +15hp@wheels on their dyno charts. And I am happy, too.
...no matter if it is a +5 +10 or +15hp gain...it just feels better. That is what counts.
Old 11-13-2016, 01:13 PM   #339

So after a long wait I finally got the plenum and 74mm t/body installed. Did it after work last night and finished tonight, it took about 3hrs in all. In the end I went for a K&N filter rather than the 987 air box due to time constraints, also looking how much space there isn't it looks a pig of a job!
Hard to get many thoughts on the way home as it was wet and dark so giving it full beans on country road didn't seem to sensible. I have a trip over the Yorkshire moors to Whitby this week so we'll see how it goes.

mavis.d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2016, 02:24 PM   #340
Ben-Auto-Design

It looks really good in black and without oil stains like mine ^^

Wow, how did you get the 3/4" silicon hose to fit over the 1" AOS tube? It wasn't intended to be like that, but if it fits that's cool! It doesn't collapse at idle with the EZ-coil right?

Give it some time before getting results

Ben

1982 928 S Euro