Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > DIY Project Guides

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-11-2015, 09:33 PM   #1

Location: Nanaimo, Vancouver Island, British Columbia, Canada
DIY Remote Range Improvement

Hello everyone, I found a DIY on the boxster register forum and I thought I would make my own with some pictures.

This DIY will increase your remote range to about 60-100 feet

You will need a T15 T 30 and a small flat screw driver.

First you will need to remove the driver sun visor.

This is where you will need a small flat screw driver or strong nails :P
Pry the cover off the screw and remove with the T15

Now move onto the A pillar side, This is a T30

Once you have the sun visor removed, Grap the top of the A pillar and give it a good pull, 00+ will need to use more force than the earlier cars.

Once removed you will see a wiring harness look for a white wire ( pre 00 ) or clear with copper ( later boxsters) Remove the wire from the insulating wrap. I tucked the wire in-between the insulation on the A pillar and the plastic near the edge of the windshield.

Reinstall all the parts and you should have a long range remote now!

Fintro11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 10:18 PM   #2

Garage
Thanks, looks pretty straightforward but what I really would like is a DIY that make the car honk or beep when pushing the remote button. Unless you watch the lights blink when you lock/unlock, it's kinda hard to know for sure the car is locked/unlocked.
fab986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 12:19 AM   #3
still plays with cars...

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by fab986 View Post
Thanks, looks pretty straightforward but what I really would like is a DIY that make the car honk or beep when pushing the remote button. Unless you watch the lights blink when you lock/unlock, it's kinda hard to know for sure the car is locked/unlocked.
Easiest DIY ever... just don't latch the oddments tray lid shut, and the car will beep for you. This will be fine as long as you don't have any other alarm issue.
Arctic Silver on Metropol Blue | LN Dual Row IMSR | Arctic Silver console, spoiler frame & bumperettes | Crios mod | Technobrace | RoboTop module & modified convertible top relay for one-touch roof operation
BoxsterSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 01:30 AM   #4

Quote:
Easy, get a 5 pin relay and a small buzzer wire to an ignition circuit and indicator feed so when the power is of and the indicator flashes it powers the buzzer.
mavis.d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 05:29 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fintro11 View Post

Once you have the sun visor removed, Grap the top of the A pillar and give it a good pull, 00+ will need to use more force than the earlier cars.
Nice write up Fintro.

Suggestion... Instead of pulling really hard at risk of breaking A-pillar trim, merely reach down behind w/ a long screw driver and release clip at dash level holding in and it easily comes up and out.

VERY IMPORTANT TIP: Do NOT over tighten the T-30 screws upon re-install or you'll have another DIY to perform... http://986forum.com/forums/general-discussions/17135-convertible-top-receiving-latch-plate-thing.html

Last edited by Burg Boxster; 02-12-2015 at 05:31 AM.
Burg Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 07:23 AM   #6

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoxsterSteve View Post
Easiest DIY ever... just don't latch the oddments tray lid shut, and the car will beep for you. This will be fine as long as you don't have any other alarm issue.
Just tried, it works!!! Thanks for the tip. Now, I just need to find a way to keep the latch contact open when the tray lid is closed.
fab986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 08:08 AM   #7

Quote:
Just tried, it works!!! Thanks for the tip. Now, I just need to find a way to keep the latch contact open when the tray lid is closed.
disconnecting plug on underside of lock should do...

Likely able to reach either thru ashtray, p-brake side panel, or via access thru panel for adjusting p-brake.
Old 02-12-2015, 04:08 PM   #8

Location: Nanaimo, Vancouver Island, British Columbia, Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burg Boxster View Post
Nice write up Fintro.

Suggestion... Instead of pulling really hard at risk of breaking A-pillar trim, merely reach down behind w/ a long screw driver and release clip at dash level holding in and it easily comes up and out.

VERY IMPORTANT TIP: Do NOT over tighten the T-30 screws upon re-install or you'll have another DIY to perform... http://986forum.com/forums/general-discussions/17135-convertible-top-receiving-latch-plate-thing.html

I tried reaching in with a screw driver but i could not get it in the right position, I was about to get the sludge hammer next :dance:

Fintro11 is offline   Reply With Quote