Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > DIY Project Guides

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-05-2016, 02:07 PM   #21

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by steved0x View Post
I think I remember squeezing it by hand, and then wriggling it side to side gently until it came out. There are two possible ways to squeeze it, and I think I got the correct way from looking at a photo on Pedro's site, but I don't have it handy now. It was very fiddly, I do remember that. My notes have this: "Remove the AOS tube from the intake just after the throttle body. To do that you squeeze the plastic ring on the serrated parts and slide it off. Even after releasing the clip it still has to slide a decent little amount before it comes off. " until I squeezed the serrated part I had no success..
Yes, squeezing at the serrated side is the consensus. I'll try again with pliers, maybe it's just frozen; I was able to replace the airfilter and took K&N and threw it away...too much gunk; used MANN filter; next time I'll also clean the MAF since I know more about it now...all in all I hope to improve HP (slightly) and mileage.

Cheers!

Old 05-30-2016, 10:47 PM   #22

Just cleaned mine. I highly recommend anybody undertaking this REMOVE the throttle body, the tube it's bolted to and it's sister vacuum tube right above it, and thoroughly clean them with rags, Remove the TB and clean it out thoroughly with carb cleaner and rags. Spraying some Carb cleaner on the the face of it, then putting everything back together isn't really cleaning it. It's a breeze to remove, and the gasket was fine for re-use. Watch that little plastic tube that's inserted into the rear crossover connector, put some oil on it when reinserting it to prevent it from breaking.
SilverSSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 02:55 PM   #23

Couple of suggestions/hints.
1.If you decide to remove the MAF since you are right there, the 2 OEM screws are T20 "Security" - they have a pin in the centre of the head of the Torx recess. A regular Tork screwdriver bit will not work. A good pair of Vise Grips may do it. I used "Engineer PZ-58 Screw Pliers" from Japan/Amazon USA- designed for this job.
2. Consider leaving the intake tube attached at the TB when you remove it.That tube is tough to remove BUT almost impossible to refit in the car.
You must still disconnect the electrical plug !
Mark the 'clocking' alignment/angle between the Intake tube and the TB where the Intake slides onto the TB. I used a paint pen (Super Met-al 1296 from Amazon).
When you are finished cleaning the TB , refit the tube according to your marks ON The Bench, not in the car
The problem is that the Intake tube is so tight on the TB that if you fit the TB to the cross tubes first and then try to fit the Intake tube that connects the TB to the MAF ,you will have a very hard time at the TB.
There is very little space and worse ,it is easy to mistakenly think you have the tune fully 'home' - but you have NOT ! It will cause an air leak.
If you are thinking of using grease to lube the tube - not a good idea to introduce grease to the Intake you just cleaned ! Maybe liquid soap ? Maybe if you very carefully heat the plastic tube to soften it with a low temp heat gun . By the time you are done struggling it would be faster and better to do it the way I suggested - on the bench- especially if it is cool weather.
3. And don't forget "Initialization" for E-Gas before you try to restart.
Good Luck !

Gelbster is offline   Reply With Quote