Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > DIY Project Guides

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-30-2015, 01:46 PM   #1
Beginner

Garage
Adding door speakers and wiring Part1

I posted an unanswered request for help on this so this may be the first DIY for it.

Bring plenty of patience patience.

Take the door panel off - this is easy

Cut out a hole on the door panel with the speaker cut out template. Be sure the speaker will have clearance with the metal structure behind the door panel.

Check the fit

It fits, screw it to the panel with the grill clip interface

Install the grill

Run the wires from the door to the cabin using the existing wire harness splash shield running between the door and the car

Remove the screw at the bottom of the connector splash cover, open the connector by pulling out the connector bail at one end of the connector
note bail open at bottom of connector (passenger side)

Look for open holes in the connector to run speaker wires through

Disconnect the wire harness clips in the door, pull the splash guard sealing end through the hole square hole in the door to access and peel back the rubber shield around the wire harness in the door. Use screwdrivers to open a passage between the rubber water shield and plastic shrink tube over the factory harness. Push speaker wires into the gap and through the splash guard tube.

Smash the end of the other speaker wire flat with pliers to make it easier to pull later

Old 08-30-2015, 01:48 PM   #2
Beginner

Garage
Adding door speakers, part 2

Tape the second speaker wire to the first to pull it through the splash guard. Start wrapping tape away from the end of the second wire, and wrap to it to and over the end of the second wire so the edges of the tape wrap lay correctly

Run the wire though the door side connector

Then through the car side

Use a bent coat hanger to push both wires into the cabin through the weather seal the car side connector harness goes through.

The wires come into the cabin just behind the lower right front corner of the glovebox onthe passenger side. Still have to do the driver side

Last edited by Jamesp; 08-30-2015 at 01:50 PM.
Jamesp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 05:51 AM   #3

Garage
Nice write up, luckily I already had speakers so it was a simple swap for me
iPad Mini Dash Install
DEPO Tail Lights
BruceH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 01:37 PM   #4

speaker size?

Any idea on maximum size of the speaker you can comfortably place? I'm guessing you went with something over 6"What speaker did you go with specifically? Thanks in advance and love the post.
cnosek87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 03:30 PM   #5
Beginner

Garage
I put in 6 inch Infiniti Kappa. Not room for much more than that. I'd recommend going with subs in the doors. the full range speakers did not add as much as I'd hoped over the dash speakers, which are infinity reference.