Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > DIY Project Guides

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-20-2014, 11:16 AM   #1

Stone chips

My 2000 Boxster S is getting shot to bits, stone chips all over the nose and bonnet. Whats the best approach?
I'm crying here.

spokegg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 12:57 PM   #2

What color is it? I have an ocean blue 2000S and the hood is covered with white dots from all the chips. I have ordered the Dr ColorChip but haven't gotten a chance to apply it yet. If it works I am not sure what preventative measures I can take, maybe a clear bra type of protector? In my case the chips cover the whole hood so it would have to be a really big protector...
steved0x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 02:39 PM   #3
still plays with cars...

Garage
My Arctic Silver Boxster had a few nasty chips, and I went with the Langka system. I've heard that it provided best results on dark paintwork, but decided to give it a try anyway.
Their "blob eliminator" is the part that does the magic, and it took a couple of tries to master the touch to get a good result. The only problem with using too much pressure or speed is the entire touch-up gets pulled out of the chip, and you get to do it again.
I really have to look for the spots I fixed; they blend in that well.
The results aren't perfect, but the car certainly looks a whole lot better now.
Worth the price of admission?
Absolutely.
Arctic Silver on Metropol Blue | LN Dual Row IMSR | Arctic Silver console, spoiler frame & bumperettes | Crios mod | Technobrace | RoboTop module & modified convertible top relay for one-touch roof operation
BoxsterSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 01:01 AM   #4

Mine is Arctic Silver too. Funny tho', the chips all seem to be recent. I'm sure I didn't have it as bad a year ago….
I haven't seen one of those hood protector 'bra' type covers since the 70's…. My hood is covered too so you'd have to cover the whole thing!!
Anyone out there got other products?
I'll try the Langka system...
spokegg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 09:33 PM   #5

Car wraps are also a good option.

Cheaper than a repaint, better looking than a bra.

http://boundarygraphics.co.uk/paint-protection-film-wrap/

Short Shifter, Touch Screen Dual Din Radio, 03 4 Bow glass Top (DD & Auto-X since May 17,2012)

Last edited by jb92563; 03-23-2014 at 09:42 PM.
jb92563 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 10:18 AM   #6

Garage
the '01 I just bought had a clear protector in the nose, side mirrors and about 1/3 up the bonnet. I noticed 1 chip on the passenger side mirror that was hard enough to make it though the clear cover, but other than that the only chips are on no-protected areas, so guessing the protection did it's job pretty well.
kiyakubuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 07:49 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiyakubuke View Post
the '01 I just bought had a clear protector in the nose, side mirrors and about 1/3 up the bonnet. I noticed 1 chip on the passenger side mirror that was hard enough to make it though the clear cover, but other than that the only chips are on no-protected areas, so guessing the protection did it's job pretty well.
It's great that you don't have chips all over your front bumper and hood, but that doesn't really help solve spoke's problem. Kinda feels like you're doing a :dance:.

I've got some chips, too, and look forward to seeing solutions posted here.

DBear

dbear61 is offline   Reply With Quote