Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > DIY Project Guides

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-30-2015, 07:03 PM   #21

Garage
Unhappy

I need help. I tried to install this today and failed. Getting the old shift knob and boot was hard, but I got it done without any damage. I can't say the same for the new pieces. I've managed to crack the knob and tear the boot.

The knob wouldn't snug down over the shaft. So I tried to tap it down with a hammer and padding but still put a big crack on the top. Re-reading the comments above, maybe a metal file would have helped.

After I got the knob settled, or so I thought, I couldn't get the boot to pull up and attach to the knob. I managed to make two rips in the boot while trying.

I've contacted the seller hoping to get replacement parts without having to pay full price, we'll see if they take pity on me.

So, can anyone give me step-by-step instructions? Any other tips if I'm able to try again with new parts?

2002 Boxster Seal Gray Metallic: Desnorkled, Changed ashtray to non-smoker's bin, Removed stickers from sunvisors, Added rear speakers, LED Shifter, Porsche logo on trunk lid, New top with heated glass window, Aspheric Driver's Side Mirror Upgrade, More to come...

Last edited by randy7601; 03-31-2015 at 10:08 AM. Reason: typo
randy7601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 07:22 AM   #22
98 Arctic silver 986

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by randy7601 View Post
I need help. I tried to install this today and failed. Getting the old shift knob and boot was hard, but I got in done without any damage. I can't say the same for the new pieces. I've managed to crack the knob and tear the boot.

The knob wouldn't snug down over the shaft. So I tried to tap it down with a hammer and padding but still put a big crack on the top. Re-reading the comments above, maybe a metal file would have helped.

After I got the knob settled, or so I thought, I couldn't get the boot to pull up and attach to the knob. I managed to make two rips in the boot while trying.

I've contacted the seller hoping to get replacement parts without having to pay full price, we'll see if they take pity on me.

So, can anyone give me step-by-step instructions? Any other tips if I'm able to try again with new parts?
If I remember correctly, I attached the boot to the knob first. So file knob opening to fit first, but don't screw down. Take knob back off shaft. Then attach boot to knob, being careful to face the boot the correct way. Place knob and boot on shaft, tighten knob to shaft. Then pull boot down and snap into place. I hope this helps and good luck with replacement
tommy583 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 07:43 AM   #23

Garage
Quote:
I need help. I tried to install this today and failed. Getting the old shift knob and boot was hard, but I got in done without any damage. I can't say the same for the new pieces. I've managed to crack the knob and tear the boot.

Randy...I had exactly the same situation as you did. I tried and tired to get the whole thing to fit and wound up cracking the top piece as well. I messaged the company and they sent me a replacement piece, however they did charge me a small fee for it but worth it as it was my mistake for cracking it. I took a file to the inside of it. It really took some time and patience to get the inside filed down enough to make it fit. It seemed like there was quite a bit that needed to be filed down. Once I got it opened up it ft perfectly and looks great! Hope they can get you taken care of, they seemed to be pretty easy to work with. Let us know how it goes!
drew44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 09:49 AM   #24

Makes me wonder if enough people are asking for replacements because they have to file it or force it fit, they might make some adjustments to their manufacturing.
Old 03-31-2015, 10:10 AM   #25

Garage
Seller has asked for pictures of the damage. I'll send that to them.

2002 Boxster Seal Gray Metallic: Desnorkled, Changed ashtray to non-smoker's bin, Removed stickers from sunvisors, Added rear speakers, LED Shifter, Porsche logo on trunk lid, New top with heated glass window, Aspheric Driver's Side Mirror Upgrade, More to come...
Old 04-02-2015, 12:55 PM   #26

Garage
Seller is sending replacement parts for a small fee. Perfectly reasonable considering how I screwed things up. Now I wait.

Old 04-02-2015, 01:20 PM   #27

Garage
Quote:
Seller is sending replacement parts for a small fee. Perfectly reasonable considering how I screwed things up. Now I wait.
Glad to hear it worked out for you as well....here is what I did to mine when trying to hard to get it to fit...

When they saw the picture i sent them they noticed that the ring around the insert was damaged too so they offered to send a replacement for that . They were very easy to work with and I thought since it was my fault they did not try and charge me a huge amount or try to get me to buy a whole new unit.
drew44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 07:20 AM   #28

Garage
Here's what I did to the shift knob:

And the boot:

Now I just wait on the replacement parts.

Old 04-09-2015, 09:08 AM   #29

I've got that one also in Amber. I love the quality.
heliguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 07:46 PM   #30

Garage
Replacement parts arrived today. I replaced the broken shifting pattern insert, and I tested the LED on a 9v battery. It glowed nicely, I'm sure it will handle 12v when it's wired in.

I bought two metal files: flat and round, and cleaned up the inside until it slipped on the lever nice and neat. Yes, it took a while but I'm satisfied with the fitting.

They sent a complete boot assembly too. I didn't break or tear anything, but that's still where I'm getting hung up. After trying for two hours, I just cleaned up and put the original shift knob back on. I can finally see how its "supposed" to fit, but I just can't spend any more time with the fitment.

I'll try again on Monday, my next day off.

Last edited by randy7601; 04-23-2015 at 02:18 PM. Reason: typos
Old 04-25-2015, 01:07 PM   #31

Garage
Need help again

Ok. The gear shift and boot are installed - no rips or cracks. Looks really nice. But...

Darn thing doesn't light up. I spliced to power and ground wire to the ashtray light. Should work - right? Ignition on, car running, nothing. Headlights on, car running, nothing. I don't have a voltage tester (I'm going to get one), but this should be working - right?

The wires to the gearshift are red and brown. The wires to the ashtray light are blue and brown. I spliced brown to brown, and red to blue. I even tried reversing polarity, no luck.

I don't know if the ashtray light ever worked, it was disconnected when I got the car. So maybe there's no power.

What else can I check?

Old 04-27-2015, 05:23 PM   #32

Garage
Unhappy

I checked the voltage where I connected the shift knob. I have 12v with the car running and the headlights on. But still no light from the shift knob. I've emailed the seller, we'll see what happens next.

Old 04-27-2015, 05:59 PM   #33
98 Arctic silver 986

Garage
Make sure you didn't pinch one of the wires. I'll check if I can see how I connected the wires before I bring the car into the shop tomorrow.
Old 04-28-2015, 03:15 PM   #34

Garage
IT WORKS! Apparently, it has been working. Up until now it's been pretty sunny outside, so I didn't notice the light coming on. (It's not real bright.) I didn't even look at night.

Today was overcast and OMG I can see the light! No, it's not real bright, but perfect for night-time use.

The shift knob is wired to the ashtray light. It only comes on when the car is running and with the headlights on.

Thanks to everyone who posted their help. It is nice having a support group !

Old 04-28-2015, 03:28 PM   #35
98 Arctic silver 986

Garage
Quote:
IT WORKS! Apparently, it has been working. Up until now it's been pretty sunny outside, so I didn't notice the light coming on. (It's not real bright.) I didn't even look at night.

Today was overcast and OMG I can see the light! No, it's not real bright, but perfect for night-time use.

The shift knob is wired to the ashtray light. It only comes on when the car is running and with the headlights on.

Thanks to everyone who posted their help. It is nice having a support group !
Sun? What's that? We don't get sun up here for another month lol. I'm glad everything worked out for you.
Old 04-28-2015, 03:59 PM   #36

Very glad you got it figured out and working. I was waiting to see how you made out before ordering one
Old 04-28-2015, 07:27 PM   #37

Garage
Lessons learned:

Fasten the boot to the knob, there is no need to ever take the two apart.

Make sure the 3 set screws are completely backed out of the shaft opening.

If the shift knob doesn't slide on easily, file the opening until it does. This may be easier with the boot off, but why risk it.

Once the knob slides on easily, tighten the 3 set screws and be done with them.

Now, connect to your electric source. I used the ashtray light. The leads on the ashtray light (on my 2002) are blue and brown. The leads from the shift knob are red and brown. Connect red to blue and brown to brown. Test with a voltmeter, 12v appears with the car "running" and the headlights on. I used wire nuts to complete the connection.

Now you can snap the boot in place. Reattach the ashtray/bin assembly (if used). You're done.

If I hadn't screwed up the installation the first time, this is an hour of labor. If you break something the seller will replace the parts for a small price. They're a German company, shipping takes some time.

I think I'm the first person to tear the boot. They said "how did this happen? we see that for the first time."

But most important: I am super pleased with the result! It looks awesome, and the yellow is the same as the amber dash lights. I'll upload a picture as soon a I can.

Old 05-06-2015, 12:33 PM   #38

Garage
Here it is:

The mark between 1 and 3 is just a reflection.

Old 08-04-2017, 02:26 PM   #39

Garage
So I recently bought my Boxster and the original shift knob was in the center console. It has an LED one on the shifter, which looks much cheaper than the one you have, and I'd like to put the original back on. Do these things just pop on and off?
McHeinzky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 05:52 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by McHeinzky View Post
So I recently bought my Boxster and the original shift knob was in the center console. It has an LED one on the shifter, which looks much cheaper than the one you have, and I'd like to put the original back on. Do these things just pop on and off?
Picks of the led unit on now as I might b interested?

redciv1 is offline   Reply With Quote