986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   DIY Project Guides (http://986forum.com/forums/diy-project-guides/)
-   -   Replaced old Shift Knob with LED shifter! (http://986forum.com/forums/diy-project-guides/50980-replaced-old-shift-knob-led-shifter.html)

jc986 02-28-2014 03:57 PM

Replaced old Shift Knob with LED shifter!

1 Attachment(s)
My old shift knob was worn, and the leather boot was frazzled and chewed up. So I replaced it today with a knob with LED lighting! Purchased it on ebay for $149 - you can pick what color LED you want for the display. I chose blue, although I know it doesn't match my amber lights, I like it. I believe they do have that orange amber color, and several others. Installation was easy, and it wires right into the same lines as for the light bulb in the ashtray.
Just popped the old one off, and slipped the new one on, spliced the wires and tightened the set screws. Although if you're going to do this same procedure, I recommend getting the ring on the boot with the holes for the set screws in place before you wire it up, otherwise a little bit tricky. If anyone wants step by step instructions, let me know.

jeffm 02-28-2014 04:20 PM

Ahh, I've been eyeing the same shifter! How is the feel of the knob versus the standard OE 5sp one? Also, any comments on build quality?

Looks great!

jc986 02-28-2014 04:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeffm (Post 388967)
Ahh, I've been eyeing the same shifter! How is the feel of the knob versus the standard OE 5sp one? Also, any comments on build quality?

Looks great!

Jeff,
I would definitely get it, it's actually much better quality than the old shifter (IMO). My car is a '97 and the old OEM shifter was made of rubber base covered in leather. Over the years the rubber wore and it felt a little loose, like there was a little bit of play between the knob and shift rod. This new one is metal base and feels great. There is no play at all once installed, and I like the newer look too.
(Originally I got a replacement from eagleday.com but sent it back because I wasn't happy with it - didn't come with the U-bracket and the insert had scratches like it was used and repainted.)
The one on ebay is MUCH better quality and I am very happy with it. Only drawback, it took a while to get because they ship from Germany. Get hung up in customs for a while but I finally got it about 10 days later than expected, but worth it!)

drew44 02-28-2014 04:44 PM

I have been looking at that on ebay for a while now too. Glad to hear that it worked out so nicely. Might have to re-think that again now. Thanks for the review!!!

Dlirium 02-28-2014 05:44 PM

Someone got a link?

jc986 02-28-2014 06:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dlirium (Post 388981)
Someone got a link?

Here is the one I bought:

Porsche Boxster Shift Gear Knob Leather Gaiter Illuminated LED Best Quality | eBay

Mark_T 02-28-2014 08:05 PM

That looks really cool.

Dlirium 02-28-2014 08:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jc986 (Post 388991)

Thanks, very nice!

Ckrikos 02-28-2014 08:57 PM

I was interested in this when I had my boxster. Unfortunately they only make it in black. For the price it can't be beat.

HolmaN 03-01-2014 02:02 PM

That's sick. Would fit so perfect with my interior.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-e-a.akamaihd.n...37843839_n.jpg

jc986 03-01-2014 06:09 PM

Holman,
You should get one! Your interior rocks!

particlewave 03-02-2014 10:31 AM

And you both need blue instrument LEDs! :p :D

BRAN 03-03-2014 11:36 AM

I installed that, too.
The quality of the leather and aluminum ring, as well as the look'n'feel are equivalent to the stock knob.
Be Aware: YELLOW LED = Porsche amber

dghii 03-06-2014 11:08 AM

So this knob fits without an adapter to the boxster's stock rectangular shaft?

jc986 03-06-2014 06:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dghii (Post 389798)
So this knob fits without an adapter to the boxster's stock rectangular shaft?

Yes, it's made to replace OEM shifter, fits perfectly. The hardest part was getting the old shift knob off! The trick was to twist it side to side, then it slips right off. The new one is cut to fit on the rectangular shaft perfect, and in addition, it does have 3 set screws to tighten it

dghii 03-06-2014 07:01 PM

Thanks for the info.

986_c6 03-08-2014 12:44 AM

Hmm...I am normally not a LED type of person, but that knob actually looks really classy and like you said, the quality looks really good.

Great upgrade!

kiyakubuke 03-17-2014 01:47 PM

ok, when I first heard "LED" shift knob. I was thinking, "that sounds like some fast and furious BS", but that looks very nice. Mine is an 01, so the piece with the gear pattern is oblong rather that round and there is another piece that surrounds that and tapers down to the boot. it was originally black, but years of use rubbed all the paint off except around the top near the R-1-3-5. took it off earlier and wrapped in some carbon fiber wrap. turned out really well.

jc986 03-17-2014 05:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kiyakubuke (Post 391405)
ok, when I first heard "LED" shift knob. I was thinking, "that sounds like some fast and furious BS", but that looks very nice. Mine is an 01, so the piece with the gear pattern is oblong rather that round and there is another piece that surrounds that and tapers down to the boot. it was originally black, but years of use rubbed all the paint off except around the top near the R-1-3-5. took it off earlier and wrapped in some carbon fiber wrap. turned out really well.

Cool! Can you post a pic? I bet it looks good with the carbon fiber pattern!

tommy583 08-26-2014 04:06 PM

I put this shift knob in the other day. It took about two weeks to arrive from Germany. I had to file the inside of the knob a little to fit, but it was worth the added trouble. The shift knob and boot looks very nice. Thanks to OP for posting about it.