Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > DIY Project Guides

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-21-2014, 02:12 PM   #1

Change your Air Filter! Look at this!

Holy crap. I just bought this car last month so I don't know how old this air filter is, but..... damn.... I'm glad I decided to change it. This filter was so old even the foam was dry and crunchy, and crumbled when I touched it. There was some other crap embedded in it to, dirt, leaves, and... A CIGARETTE BUTT!!
Remember when you change it, make sure you don't drop any dirt or leaves down into the box. I would visually check the box too before installing the new one.
If anyone has any questions, there are good links on youtube and here on how to change it. It was easy and only took a couple of minutes.

Attached Images

jc986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 02:26 PM   #2

Garage
Are you de-snorkled? Wondering how all that crap got in there. The snorkle seems like it would make it harder if installed...
Dlirium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 03:46 PM   #3
There Is No Substitute.

Garage
You might consider doing a full service. It looks like it has never been replaced, I would have a good mechanic check everything, if the previous owner was neglecting regular maintenance like this. I'm curious what your cabin filter and radiators look like.
Old 02-21-2014, 04:18 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dlirium View Post
Are you de-snorkled? Wondering how all that crap got in there. The snorkle seems like it would make it harder if installed...
delirium,
no, not de-snorkeled
Old 02-21-2014, 04:21 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick3000 View Post
You might consider doing a full service. It looks like it has never been replaced, I would have a good mechanic check everything, if the previous owner was neglecting regular maintenance like this. I'm curious what your cabin filter and radiators look like.
Rick3000,
I think you're right. The car only has 40k miles, but from the looks of that air filter it's probably a good idea
Old 02-23-2014, 06:32 AM   #6

I think you could squeeze abnother 40k out of that air filter.

In all honesty, seeing that would scare the crap out of me regarding if any servicing has been done on this thing. I would have that thing totally gone thru. Good luck, I hope you don't have a nightmare on your hands.
Old 02-26-2014, 08:19 AM   #7

Garage
Looks better than mine did! Last Feb I bought a 99 Boxster with 72k. The air filter was crumbling as I took it out. I vacuumed the box with my shop vac. Care ran MUCH better. Don't know how people can buy these cars and not take care of them!
Old 02-26-2014, 12:11 PM   #8

That's gross mate. Damn.
HolmaN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 05:16 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikesz View Post
Looks better than mine did! Last Feb I bought a 99 Boxster with 72k. The air filter was crumbling as I took it out. I vacuumed the box with my shop vac. Care ran MUCH better. Don't know how people can buy these cars and not take care of them!
Mikesz,
I agree. Btw, is that your car in the avatar picture? If so, where did you get the speedster humps? I've been looking for a pair on line but they're too pricey.

Holman, I know, that's why I put in the title for this thread "Change your air filter" - there are probably some even worse ones than mine out there.
Old 02-26-2014, 05:46 PM   #10
Track rat

Garage
horsepower found!
Old 02-27-2014, 04:57 AM   #11
edc
550 Anniversary

Garage
Is that a standard paper filter? Over here the filter is just the corrugated/wedged paper. There isn't a foam laye, lije the black layer, you have.
Sold: 986S - Zenith Blue - 18" Sport Classics - Black Zunsport grilles - Stainless silencer and manifolds - K&N panel - shortshift - M030 suspension - 75mm throttle body - custom 83mm intake - SmartTop - custom remap - MDS underdrive pulley
edc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 12:54 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by edc View Post
Is that a standard paper filter? Over here the filter is just the corrugated/wedged paper. There isn't a foam laye, lije the black layer, you have.
edc, yes, standard oem filter is paper and comes with the foam layer
Old 03-03-2014, 10:08 AM   #13

I replaced mine with a k&n filter fit and forget
judd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 07:22 PM   #14

I just bought a 2000 S, and the first thing I wanted to do was check the air filter--but how?

I have to admit ignorance on how to do even simple maintenance on this car when you can't see the motor. Can anyone give some instruction on how to access the motor without dropping it out?
alex the dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 12:41 AM   #15

Damn that is a nasty looking filter! Better get you car up on a lift and have a professional look things over carefully.
06 Maserati Quattroporte (Family hauler)
08 Corvette Z06 (Track car)
986_c6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 10:54 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex the dog View Post
I just bought a 2000 S, and the first thing I wanted to do was check the air filter--but how?

I have to admit ignorance on how to do even simple maintenance on this car when you can't see the motor. Can anyone give some instruction on how to access the motor without dropping it out?
Hi Alex, it's actually pretty easy. You can get to the engine by putting the convertible top about 3/4 the way up, then you have to disconnect a couple of cables that hold the back of the top down, which then swings up and reveals the engine cover. Changing the air filter is pretty easy and will only take you a couple of minutes. Here is a good video on how to do it: Porsche Boxster S - 986 Remove Engine Cover - Replace Air Filter RiversidePCA How To - YouTube

quick and easy!
Old 03-10-2014, 07:44 PM   #17

Garage
Did he live near an active volcano? Or LA? I mean...holy crap. That is insane.
Old 03-11-2014, 06:41 PM   #18
Beginner

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by alex the dog View Post

Go whole hog. Open the top so you get about a 4 to 6 inch inch gap between the front of the top and the top of the windshield. push both seats full forward. Go to the back of the soft top and look for stuff to unclip. You should find a piece if cloth clipped into two plastic clips at the very back of the top well, and a steel cable with ball ends on each rear pillar just behind the driver's and passenger's windows. Disconnect all of that stuff. I clip a cord to the bottom/back of the top and run it over the top to the front, pull it tight and clip it there to hold the back of the top in a raised position. You can now reach under the back of the top and (assuming you have a rear storage bin) give the 4 plastic quick release tabs a twist. Two on the bin two behind them. They are 4 flat plastic discs. Half of each disk lifts up to give you a handle to twist. When you feel them pop free, pull them out. Now pull out the shelf. Now pull out the carpet and pad. Finally you can see the engine closeout panel with its own twist lock (dzus) fasteners. Lift up the ring handles on those, unwtist them and Bingo! The top of the engine is revealed. This takes about ten minutes the first time you do it. Three minutes every time after. Air filter is on the left side of teh car in the engine bay - 2 metal clips hold down a flat plastic cover. Unclip and pull up on the cover - the filter is in there.

So you want to see the front of the engine and the belt? Get a 10mm socket. On the top of the carpet bend the seats there are 4 plastic nuts. Unscrew them. You may need a stright blade screwdriver. Notice how the carpeting is tucked in so you put it back the same way. Remove the carpet by pulling it up off the 4 studs where the nuts were and out of the car. This reveals the firewall closeout plate. Now for the 10 mm socket. Remove the nuts in the center of the plate by the center console paying special attention to not dropping one or it will fall and hide beneath the center console. Ask me how I know. Then remove the rest of the 10mm bolts and remove the access panel from the car to see the front of the engine and the belt. Thats about it.

Last edited by Jamesp; 03-11-2014 at 06:46 PM.
Jamesp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 10:36 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by judd View Post
I replaced mine with a k&n filter fit and forget
Just ordered a K+N 33-2773. I take it there are no issues with one fitted?

I use them in my other car and bike and they have been fine.
Fatbloke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 04:39 PM   #20
Track rat

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatbloke View Post
Just ordered a K+N 33-2773. I take it there are no issues with one fitted?

I use them in my other car and bike and they have been fine.
There actually are some negative issues with K&N filters in a Boxster. Search this site for more details. Apparently if they are over-oiled the MAF sensor can become fouled causing the car to run like poo. I used K&N filters in off-road racing for 10 yrs but stayed away from one in my Boxster. I just change the paper filter twice a year @ $20 ea.