Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > DIY Project Guides

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-13-2013, 12:07 PM   #21

Garage
No, ipad extra!

Here is the link. Looks like $800 includes installation. I would like to know how much for just the custom trim piece.

http://www.autoblog.com/2012/11/07/check-out-the-first-in-car-install-of-apple-ipad-mini/

iPad Mini Dash Install
DEPO Tail Lights

Last edited by BruceH; 10-13-2013 at 12:19 PM.
BruceH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 12:36 PM   #22

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shehadehd View Post
Yeah, I agree with you, it looks killer! I don't doubt it will be expensive, especially when you mention it's for a Porsche lol.
so, since I can definitely tell you live in Vallejo, once you're done, what will you do to stop people from stealing it? Having a glass display sitting in your dashboard doesn't just scream 'slash my soft top/break my windows and take me', it screams, 'slash my soft top/break my windows AND rip apart my dash board to steal me all before anyone cares about the alarm going off'.

I suppose once a jailbreak comes out, you can install the app I once had, which, if the incorrect iPad unlock code is entered or someone tries to turn off the iPad without entering the correct lock code, it takes a picture and emails it to you plus the location of the iPad. Buuuut, if you want the new iPad mini, good luck waiting to get a jailbreak. Your IMS will probably blow before then.
epapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 12:45 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceH View Post
No, ipad extra!

Here is the link. Looks like $800 includes installation. I would like to know how much for just the custom trim piece.

Check out the first in-car install of Apple iPad Mini - Autoblog
Bloody hell, $800 for installation only??? that is ripping off LIVE!

If you need a custom trim please do let me know... got one 5 axis CNC milling machine, one 4 axis horizontal CNC mill, and 2 Okuma CNC lathe set-ups right here at the circuit. All Japanese TQ machinery. Just pass on a drawing and give me a few hours
Old 10-13-2013, 12:49 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by epapp View Post
so, since I can definitely tell you live in Vallejo, once you're done, what will you do to stop people from stealing it? Having a glass display sitting in your dashboard doesn't just scream 'slash my soft top/break my windows and take me', it screams, 'slash my soft top/break my windows AND rip apart my dash board to steal me all before anyone cares about the alarm going off'.

I suppose once a jailbreak comes out, you can install the app I once had, which, if the incorrect iPad unlock code is entered or someone tries to turn off the iPad without entering the correct lock code, it takes a picture and emails it to you plus the location of the iPad. Buuuut, if you want the new iPad mini, good luck waiting to get a jailbreak. Your IMS will probably blow before then.
You give the word "pessimist" a brand new meaning. Well done!
Old 10-13-2013, 01:11 PM   #25

Garage
Ipad mini in-dash installation

Quote:

Ohh effee.... I guess I'll just have to park in police parking lots whenever I go out. Whatevs, if that's the price of awesomeness, I'll take that over a salvaged car any day. As for the IMS, I've read that cars that run at higher RPMs have shown less failures so I guess I'll be shifting later and enjoying the torque curve that Porsche provided.

https://www.enhancedautomods.com/shop/comfort-top
Shehadehd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 02:44 PM   #26

I have been thinking of doing a touchscreen as well, but it needs to do everything, music, gps navigation, interface with blue tooth OBDII for aux guages and track use, accelerometer for measuring g's, and wifi, plus removable so I can take it with me.

That being the case an ipad is not up to the task, so perhaps a windows os tablet or android with those features and peripheral ports is what im thinking.

Form factor will be important, and for either project we need to find someone with a plastic printer (reprap) to print a bezel for the space around the unit.
Short Shifter, Touch Screen Dual Din Radio, 03 4 Bow glass Top (DD & Auto-X since May 17,2012)
jb92563 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 04:47 PM   #27

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jb92563 View Post
I have been thinking of doing a touchscreen as well, but it needs to do everything, music, gps navigation, interface with blue tooth OBDII for aux guages and track use, accelerometer for measuring g's, and wifi, plus removable so I can take it with me.

That being the case an ipad is not up to the task, so perhaps a windows os tablet or android with those features and peripheral ports is what im thinking.

Form factor will be important, and for either project we need to find someone with a plastic printer (reprap) to print a bezel for the space around the unit.
The mini does have gps, music, navigation, an accelerometer, wifi, and I think an obd II reading capability? But it definitely won't be removable. I'm sure you can find some android tablets that will work and be removable. E really just need to be a quarter of an inch smaller. I suppose with a plastic printer the range of tablets you can use does grow. Excited to see if you find a way to pull it off.

As for the ipad mini installation, I'm not really gonna get to do anything else until next weekend. I'll probably sand and spray the trim throughout the week, but until the new mini comes out, I don't see a point in buying one just to have its price reduced by nearly $100 a week later.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk - now Free

Old 10-13-2013, 06:18 PM   #28

Garage
The problem with the OBD reader is that:

1) you need a wireless type connector for the obd port. Thats all fine and good, except the bluetooth connector I got stays powered even with the car off, so I can't leave it in the car (hassle).

2) It definitely needs to be wireless because with an iPad, you won't have a way to connect it up (iPad connector will be used for power).

The app for apple devices is much more limited than the Torque app for android. I also didn't find a way to link my non-jailbroken iPad up to the bluetooth connector. I needed it to be jailbroken so that you can install the bluetooth hack that allows the iPad to see all bluetooth broadcasts and not just approved ones. The non jailbroken iPad did not see the bluetooth network broadcast form the obd connector.
Old 10-14-2013, 08:25 AM   #29
Custom User Title Here

Garage

Last edited by particlewave; 12-03-2018 at 11:03 PM.
particlewave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 01:34 PM   #30

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by particlewave View Post
This has got to be the saddest thing I've ever seen. Don't you have anything better to do? You poor thing

OP, nice work so far!

nah, i just troll threads and bash people I know personally for fun
Old 10-14-2013, 03:13 PM   #31

Garage

Quote:
nah, i just troll threads and bash people I know personally for fun
Epapp is just trying to make up for the lack of 0.2l in his Boxster :P

Old 10-14-2013, 04:59 PM   #32
Custom User Title Here

Garage
Tick-tock goes the clock...

Who will be first?

Last edited by particlewave; 09-15-2014 at 11:37 AM.
particlewave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 06:54 PM   #33

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shehadehd View Post
Epapp is just trying to make up for the lack of 0.2l in his Boxster :P
IIRC, our cars are literally the same speed up that long hill in the same gear at the same speed when putting the pedal to the floor. That means I'm getting better gas mileage, and lugging a lighter load. All with my DUAL row IMS. :dance:
Old 10-14-2013, 07:25 PM   #34

Garage

Quote:
IIRC, our cars are literally the same speed up that long hill in the same gear at the same speed when putting the pedal to the floor. That means I'm getting better gas mileage, and lugging a lighter load. All with my DUAL row IMS. :dance:
Ohhhhh, I didn't know we were putting the pedal to the floor. I'll be sure to do that next time

But back on topic. I plan on spraying the trim piece and center console tomorrow and Wednesday. I'm torn between a couple options right now. The first is spraying it that arctic silver color, the second is the seal gray, and the last two options are going with flat or glossy black. Any suggestions? I've posted a couple pictures for reference. I've also been entertaining the idea of black brushed metal vinyl wrap :O

My car

Silver trim

Seal gray

Vinyl

Last edited by Shehadehd; 10-14-2013 at 07:36 PM.
Old 10-14-2013, 08:00 PM   #35

Garage
Personally, I would leave it stock(black) since it will blend in with the black border of the ipad. Once you change the color of the horseshoe, you will end up doing the rest of the interior, unless that I what you want to do.
iPad Mini Dash Install
DEPO Tail Lights
BruceH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 09:28 PM   #36

Garage
Getting my PhD in interior designing, I like to think I know paint colors.

I think silver, given your grey interior, would not match very well. The only option I would consider for myself would be a seal grey center console/horseshoe/door trim pieces, all black pieces or all pieces a totally different color, like a dark metallic red.
Old 10-16-2013, 06:39 PM   #37

Garage

Quick update on the progress so far.

I got the system in the car and now I'm deciding how to spray the trim and console. I'm still bouncing around gloss black, flat black, the color you see, or I could be bold and go with a glossy dark, almost burgundy, red (which I would accent with some red dash lights, seatbelts, and door storage flap)
All input welcome..... Besides epapp, he has some bearings to be playing with anyways :P

Last edited by Shehadehd; 10-16-2013 at 08:23 PM.
Old 10-17-2013, 11:24 AM   #38

Garage
It seems like that front facing camera will have the perfect angle to see......absolutely nothing. you should angle the iPad and tilt it towards you within the plastic horseshoe. How will we video chat while both driving?
Old 10-17-2013, 11:50 AM   #39

more like a phd in inferior design if you believe everyone else.

anyways, I say cover it in leather or alcantara and to door trim, console lid, etc., to match. covering it will allow you to hide all those chintzy button blanks that cheapen the car.
The Radium King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 12:03 PM   #40

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Radium King View Post
more like a phd in inferior design if you believe everyone else.

anyways, I say cover it in leather or alcantara and to door trim, console lid, etc., to match. covering it will allow you to hide all those chintzy button blanks that cheapen the car.
How can the center console be covered in leather, it has so many curves and corners? I wonder how a reddish leather would look if doing it is possible.....

Also, I only have two blanks on the buttons so far and I plan on using them up with the spoiler button and garage door buttons from the targa.