Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > DIY Project Guides

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-16-2016, 09:41 PM   #1341

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000986s View Post
Has anybody received their kit yet? I think I got the shipping confirmation a couple weeks ago but still no sign of em.
Yours is the only one left that needs to register in the local post :/ I can confirm its out and in the Vivo series as per your exchange request! If lost (stolen?) I have many more here that I can express mail to you so don't worry about this.

I realize that timing is completely wrong however and I apologize for this.

Some less fumy invalid reasons; we got hit hard during the G20 event where security levels were at it's "never" experienced before. E.g. air-mailing anything above 1kg took min 5 days, some more, for the parcel to register in their system. International or local.... outbound electronics were automatically being inspected, if what I have been told 38 times (parcels) is true.

We also got any sort of tunneling and VPN access temporarily chopped off. There was no way to get data in/out of here for a full 12 days. Good news is my lovely wife got us a dial-in enabled SAT phone that works with a SIM card; monthly or as 'per use' billing plans so we won't have to blackout from modern societies again. Had everything Google Cloud blocked, server, vpn, email, all.

Glad I can read 986forum.com again also. The forum blocks IP from China, in case you guys didn't know. Google's srv, Cisco Webex, forums, gets bad sometimes lolllll

Old 09-17-2016, 03:10 AM   #1342

I have never owned a vehicle with this type of headlight. It takes a little bit to get used to the very distinct cut off line of the projected light but they are very bright and I am quite happy with the setup. I may have to adjust the drivers side a little higher ( not much ) as the top of the projected cut off is a tad lower than I like. Passenger side is perfect and high beams are set to stun !!!
2002 Boxster S Arctic Silver with black top with glass window and black leather interior. Jake Raby 3.6 SS ( the beast ) with IMS Solution. 996 GT3 front bumper , GT3 rocker covers and GT3TEK rear diffuser and Joe Toth composites rear ducktail spoiler .
rfuerst911sc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2016, 06:51 AM   #1343

Thanks a lot for the update, I really appreciate it. No worries on the timing, all I needed was an update! As long as I can get them on the car before she goes away for the winter, I will be happy

You did mention they might be lost/stolen? How much longer should we wait before considering them as such?

Feel free to PM me if easier otherwise I check this thread daily anyways.

Thanks again!!!
2000986s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2016, 03:46 PM   #1344

Garage
Removed the headlight covers today. Easy. All that was needed was an exacto knife. No oven.

Looking to paint interior black and install projectors.

PaulDash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2016, 07:52 PM   #1345

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulDash View Post
Removed the headlight covers today. Easy. All that was needed was an exacto knife. No oven.

Maybe your red paint has too much orange peel. Think your car paint needs to be polished first.

Regards, Markus
Smallblock454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 09:01 AM   #1346

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulDash View Post

What 'model' car is that one?
Old 09-21-2016, 04:17 PM   #1347

I got a little package in the mail today, thanks Nine8Six! I almost got my money's worth in bubble wrap alone, everything arrived in perfect order!

PaulE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2016, 04:06 AM   #1348

Has anyone else got their projectors? It's over 3 weeks since the tracking said it was shiped from china. Have'nt heard, seen anything since then. Lost / stolen?
RedBeauty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2016, 06:07 AM   #1349

Mine shipped 5 weeks ago but the tracking number has never worked for me. I'm assuming lost/stolen.

Fred: will you be shipping a new kit or processing a refund until you can have some available?
2000986s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2016, 10:21 AM   #1350

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000986s View Post
Mine shipped 5 weeks ago but the tracking number has never worked for me. I'm assuming lost/stolen.

Fred: will you be shipping a new kit or processing a refund until you can have some available?
This is how things worked out for the various packages I've received from Fred:

The Shipping numbers start working once the packages are received into the US Postal System. This is after they trickle in from Orient. Fred's Foreign Post Office only releases a few packages a week.

My experience was that once the numbers starts providing information - my shipment is sitting on the door step.
Old 10-09-2016, 11:31 PM   #1351

My tracking number never worked. Although the email said the tracking number was US mail, I think it was really China Post. Anyway they really did come to my house. I can't read the shipping label now because I'm out of town for another week.
PaulE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 07:51 AM   #1352
On the slippery slope

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nine8Six View Post
Yours is the only one left that needs to register in the local post :/ I can confirm its out and in the Vivo series as per your exchange request! If lost (stolen?) I have many more here that I can express mail to you so don't worry about this.

I realize that timing is completely wrong however and I apologize for this.

Some less fumy invalid reasons; we got hit hard during the G20 event where security levels were at it's "never" experienced before. E.g. air-mailing anything above 1kg took min 5 days, some more, for the parcel to register in their system. International or local.... outbound electronics were automatically being inspected, if what I have been told 38 times (parcels) is true.

We also got any sort of tunneling and VPN access temporarily chopped off. There was no way to get data in/out of here for a full 12 days. Good news is my lovely wife got us a dial-in enabled SAT phone that works with a SIM card; monthly or as 'per use' billing plans so we won't have to blackout from modern societies again. Had everything Google Cloud blocked, server, vpn, email, all.

Glad I can read 986forum.com again also. The forum blocks IP from China, in case you guys didn't know. Google's srv, Cisco Webex, forums, gets bad sometimes lolllll
The joys of living in a Communist country!
2014 Porsche Performance Driving School
2020 BMW X3, 2013 Ram 1500, 2016 Cmax, 2004 F-150 "Big Red"
JayG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 08:37 PM   #1353

This is starting to get alitlebit frustraiting now. I understand that most of u guys have got yours. So since mine is registered i suspect lost / stolen in the post. I have tried to reach out to Fred, via PM here and by mail.. no answer at all
Old 10-13-2016, 08:49 PM   #1354
Custom User Title Here

Garage
Take a deep breath and calm down

These things take time. It's not unusual to take 6-10 weeks. The way it works is that he drops them all off at the post, then they only ship one or two per day (or week...can't remember). The reason is that he would get charged as a merchant, otherwise. That increases shipping cost, tax and they would be prone to inspections (laser scripting would not fly).

I've ordered dozens of sets of these projectors from Fred, so I know as well as anybody how painful the wait can be...sometimes they fly through, others take a couple months. They'll show up, I promise. Worst case scenario is that they are missing. If that's the case, I guarantee Fred will make it right.

Last edited by particlewave; 10-13-2016 at 08:52 PM.
particlewave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 10:05 PM   #1355

Quote:
Originally Posted by particlewave View Post
Take a deep breath and calm down

These things take time. It's not unusual to take 6-10 weeks. The way it works is that he drops them all off at the post, then they only ship one or two per day (or week...can't remember). The reason is that he would get charged as a merchant, otherwise. That increases shipping cost, tax and they would be prone to inspections (laser scripting would not fly).

I've ordered dozens of sets of these projectors from Fred, so I know as well as anybody how painful the wait can be...sometimes they fly through, others take a couple months. They'll show up, I promise. Worst case scenario is that they are missing. If that's the case, I guarantee Fred will make it right.
Good to hear. I can take the wait, as long as i know what's happening. I have full trust to fred, but i did'nt expect that the shipping would take this long. And it would be a shame if these expensive but realy nice projectors were lost
Old 10-19-2016, 08:11 PM   #1356

how much does it usually cost to have someone fit these into my headlights?
geetee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 08:43 PM   #1357
Custom User Title Here

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by geetee View Post
how much does it usually cost to have someone fit these into my headlights?
When I checked with theretrofitsource.com a few years ago, they were charging between $700-$1000.

I charged members here $250 for the basic retrofit + shipping cost. Paint was $50 extra for black, $75 for custom color (like matching the body color).
Not sure about others.
Old 10-20-2016, 07:51 AM   #1358
1999 base

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by particlewave View Post
When I checked with theretrofitsource.com a few years ago, they were charging between $700-$1000.

I charged members here $250 for the basic retrofit + shipping cost. Paint was $50 extra for black, $75 for custom color (like matching the body color).
Not sure about others.
that is very reasonable in my opinion.
Meir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 07:02 PM   #1359

Garage
Particlewave does a great job. He converted mine and did some repairs.
Great job, communication and well worth the money.
Much easier than DIY
Thanks Charles

Van
Van914 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 02:56 AM   #1360
98 Arctic silver 986

Garage
Charles is the man. If he is offering his services to do the retrofits DO NOT hesitate taking him up on the offer. He is the absolute expert on this procedure.

tommy583 is online now   Reply With Quote