Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > DIY Project Guides

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-02-2015, 07:47 AM   #961

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nine8Six View Post
oh man... speechless atm

(in the hospital waiting room waiting for my mate who is getting a piece a 2~3" ABS plastic pulled out from his back.) Road racing accident, today at the track :/

Pissing rain in Shanghai, windy, cold, Non stop. and now this Hervé.... wtf.

That oven's thermostat is nasty offset for sure (???). Even at 300+ degree C for 10min... it might possibly chg shape a tad but would never burn. Unless it is one of those mini oven then that might explain what happened.

Good news is there are a few of those headlights available here and there - affordable. I'd also post in the WTB section of the forum... sure a fella member here will give you a break on cost
In retrospect, I'd rather be in my seat than your buddy's... Hope he'll recover nicely.

They were not burnt but they caved in and looked milky.
I'll start looking for a new set, see if maybe charles can handle the conversion for me.

'04 Convertible top with glass window
herve_g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2015, 08:01 AM   #962

Quote:
Originally Posted by herve_g View Post
In retrospect, I'd rather be in my seat than your buddy's... Hope he'll recover nicely.

They were not burnt but they caved in and looked milky.
I'll start looking for a new set, see if maybe charles can handle the conversion for me.
Laugh as much as you want but my oven: a carton box insulated externally with foam and powered with a 2500w heat gun. $5 thermostat with a timer. That easy mate...

It was ^ that, or a divorce loll

Mate will be fine, I think loll Insured and all. Plastic broken deep inside his lower back... needs minor surgery. We waited about 7 hrs however... that 'wait' wasn't pleasant apparently. 26million population city... what else can you expect here. Missing those 'quick' and free Canadian hospitals man

Luck with the headlight find :/ arggg what a day
Old 05-02-2015, 08:06 AM   #963

Oven's credit to The Retrofit Labs (had to copy their idea loll, sorry)

Old 05-05-2015, 08:32 AM   #964

Installer Question

Been looking at this thread and like the look of the lights over what my 2004 986 S has (plain old headlights).

I am a 'bit' shy about trying to do an install like this myself, and read there are people out there who will do professional installs - is this true, and will it continue to be true now that Pelican Parts is the distributor?

Also, read in the thread about the color of the angel eyes and potential for some colors to not be street legal - is there a recommended color (I was thinking blue / blueish as my choice)...

Thanks
soxfan1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 09:12 AM   #965

Quote:
Originally Posted by soxfan1966 View Post
Been looking at this thread and like the look of the lights over what my 2004 986 S has (plain old headlights).

I am a 'bit' shy about trying to do an install like this myself, and read there are people out there who will do professional installs - is this true, and will it continue to be true now that Pelican Parts is the distributor?

Also, read in the thread about the color of the angel eyes and potential for some colors to not be street legal - is there a recommended color (I was thinking blue / blueish as my choice)...

Thanks
I strongly recommend Charles (member Particlewave). Tech genius imo. Its all about you getting in touch with him and convincing him to carry out the job for you!

I also know of many who've simply drove to their local car mod/retrofitter expert and got it done that way. Can't recommend any sorry (yellow page!). All of those guys are pretty switched on and know their stuff anyway.... some even open headlights all day long for a living.

But if you ask me, Charles is the man. Not question there
Old 05-07-2015, 03:44 PM   #966

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nine8Six View Post
Adam - at the end I had to retake your blue (anodizing) along with Jeff's Vivo. There were just not... not quite, not quite perfect enough... let's just say. New kit done finally... and I think you'll freak out when you see them (Jeff Vivo as well loll). In fact a few of my mates here saw them on the workbench and all went absolutely bunker on that blue. You'll know what they meant when you have them in hands Different ambient light temp = different blue tones. Sick

That (new) dye I'm getting out of Japan is wicked stuff... not exactly cheap and more and more I use it I'm starting to understand why lolllll it is insanely beautiful!

WE-NEED-PICS!!!! Really want to see those

Just checked tracking (for about the 20th time!) - the wait is almost over - I won't be leaving the house tomorrow! Can you tell I'm looking forward to these arriving :dance:

Date Time Location Tracking event
7/5/2015 23:55 Newport Depot Loaded to vehicle for delivery
7/5/2015 23:53 Newport Depot Received at delivery depot
7/5/2015 13:28 National Hub Received and processed
7/5/2015 8:31 International Hub Received in destination country
1/5/2015 12:14 Delivery Agent - EMSEVT SHANGHAI…+Delivery Agent - EMSEVT SHANGHAI Forwarded for export
30/4/2015 15:18 Delivery Agent - CHINA…+Delivery Agent - CHINA Collected from customer
blackandwhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 04:02 PM   #967

Echo what Fred said

Charles is the man on this, he did mine and they are fantastic. I had a spare headlight that was bad, I tried getting it apart and wound up destroying the lens trying to get it off....after that PW was the only way to go.
Pdwight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 07:16 PM   #968

Just finished today!
Before:

After:

And yes, those are the same headlights!
CraigM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 07:30 PM   #969

Garage
Those look outstanding Craig
iPad Mini Dash Install
DEPO Tail Lights
BruceH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 07:33 PM   #970

Location: Nanaimo, Vancouver Island, British Columbia, Canada
Great Job!
Fintro11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 09:33 PM   #971

Perhaps a rotation of 180 deg is in order
Pdwight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 11:21 PM   #972

Wow! They look great Craig, it's transformed the look of your car
blackandwhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2015, 05:24 AM   #973

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pdwight View Post
Uhoh, did it on my iPhone, sometimes that happens. Tried to fix it once before, but my Mac apparently does the same thing. Oh well.

And thanks all, especially Fred for the lights and ParticleWave for the de-ambering DIY!
CraigM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 04:21 AM   #974

Disassembled my first headlight for projector install last night. Immediately wished I had just sent them off to be done but I'm kind of in it now.
Destroyed list at this point includes: rubber outer molding, two white keeper pins for said molding and one amber corner.
So much fun!
CHRISP357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 07:43 AM   #975
Custom User Title Here

Garage
Hang in there, Chris!

The outer rubber gasket may have been rotten to begin with, the white clips are usually missing or broken anyway, and the corner trim clips break off every time (there are other ways to attach them ).
particlewave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 07:45 AM   #976
Custom User Title Here

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pdwight View Post
They look fine to me

Excellent work, Craig! They look amazing!
particlewave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 10:10 AM   #977

Quote:
Originally Posted by particlewave View Post
Hang in there, Chris!

The outer rubber gasket may have been rotten to begin with, the white clips are usually missing or broken anyway, and the corner trim clips break off every time (there are other ways to attach them ).
Can I send you the lenses for de-ambering?
CHRISP357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 01:12 PM   #978
Reebuck1

Garage
Lights

Nine8six, I am also interested if you make a set. Thanks
Reebuck1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 12:27 PM   #979

I have been looking into these again and it appears that nobody has them in stock anymore? I went to the website The ultimate bi-xenon headlight retrofit kit for Sport & Super cars which said that Pelican Parts will now carry them but I cannot find them on their site.

Any info on this would be appreciated.

Thanks, John
jpc763 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 02:06 PM   #980

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpc763 View Post
Any info on this would be appreciated.
John - Reebuck,

I've actually spoke to the chaps at Pelican today. They are not too willing to let go a product without the full "support package" for you guys. Involves a lot of work on their side... meaning setting up ref to install manual, working on a DIY, writing down a warranty specific to those, etc etc. How nice of them (and how embarrassing for me at the same time lolll)

What they are doing now (and what takes time) is what I've never bother doing. They are "professionals" and needs to remain as such to keep their edge so from the look of things, I've given them quite a headache :/

(me shy to call again)

I'll update as soon as I hear some news. I have faith to see some kits going out in a matter of week now (maybe days, fingers crossed)