Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > DIY Project Guides

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-29-2014, 12:56 AM   #1

Hi guys, here's an update.

Yesterday I received a pair of ballast with a build-in Canbus solution (ballast/starter/Canbus in one box). I turned the Xenon kit on and immediately my oil warning lamp went on .

So, these units are going back. My next step will be connecting some Canbus warning cancellers between the ballast and my 12V connectors as an extra.

I also thought of another possible solution. There is a possibility that the peak voltage after starting the Xenon kit triggers the problem. So, by connecting the ballasts directly to my battery via a relay I will be effectively removing that peak voltage when turning the Xenon lights on right? This is just an idea....any thoughts on this?
Edreamsz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 03:38 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edreamsz View Post
Hi guys, here's an update.

Yesterday I received a pair of ballast with a build-in Canbus solution (ballast/starter/Canbus in one box). I turned the Xenon kit on and immediately my oil warning lamp went on .

So, these units are going back. My next step will be connecting some Canbus warning cancellers between the ballast and my 12V connectors as an extra.

I also thought of another possible solution. There is a possibility that the peak voltage after starting the Xenon kit triggers the problem. So, by connecting the ballasts directly to my battery via a relay I will be effectively removing that peak voltage when turning the Xenon lights on right? This is just an idea....any thoughts on this?
?!?!?

Yes I know its not your kit. Bat's car problem made me realized this already. I was under the impression you were following our conversation

Check your voltage regulator "under load" it should read about 15.x volts (needs load tester, not a volt meter!). Your indy should be able to help with that. Those (brushes) gets tired with time, especially after 10+ years

Others, as important: diode, alternator pulleys, loose serpentine strap, bad battery.

There are two phases to your ballasts' power up sequence:
- PhaseI: igniters (max load at 7amps for 1~2secs)
- PhaseII: stabilization (max load 3.5amp)

When phaseI occurs, it simply drains the car system's current. If the car charging system is not up to specs, you will "certainly" get unstable voltages (and of course, a nice shiny BATTERY MIL to tell you all about that!).

That's why the problem doesn't replicate when you switch on/off your lights i.e when phaseI is already hot and doesn't need as much current to ignite.

Fix the charging system and all should shine like a diamond again
^ Quote from my indy who've helped me out on this one, and who've seen a few pcars having the same issues as you are having now

Good luck
Old 07-29-2014, 04:26 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nine8Six View Post
?!?!?

Yes I know its not your kit. Bat's car problem made me realized this already. I was under the impression you were following our conversation

Check your voltage regulator "under load" it should read about 15.x volts (needs load tester, not a volt meter!). Your indy should be able to help with that. Those (brushes) gets tired with time, especially after 10+ years

Others, as important: diode, alternator pulleys, loose serpentine strap, bad battery.

There are two phases to your ballasts' power up sequence:
- PhaseI: igniters (max load at 7amps for 1~2secs)
- PhaseII: stabilization (max load 3.5amp)

When phaseI occurs, it simply drains the car system's current. If the car charging system is not up to specs, you will "certainly" get unstable voltages (and of course, a nice shiny BATTERY MIL to tell you all about that!).

That's why the problem doesn't replicate when you switch on/off your lights i.e when phaseI is already hot and doesn't need as much current to ignite.

Fix the charging system and all should shine like a diamond again
^ Quote from my indy who've helped me out on this one, and who've seen a few pcars having the same issues as you are having now

Good luck
Yes, I was (of course!) following the thread but already ordered and received the other ballasts. My next stop is a load test to test my charging system. Will give an update this week!
Old 07-29-2014, 04:44 AM   #4

There is a 986 on the Chinese Porsche forum here with the exact same issues that Bat and yourself are having. MIL, batt/oil, spoiler tak tak tak thingny

He was running an aftermarket 2DIN deck with LCD, 400watts amp, GPS module, some depo LEDs tailights and a nice and expansive aftermarket iPhone charger - all at the same time! When he starts the car with accessories turned ON he gets these lights, if he turns accessories OFF and start the car, all is fine.

Luckily for him it was only a bad battery but none the less, his thread is about 7 pages long lol

Luck mate
Old 07-29-2014, 04:48 AM   #5

Hahaha, he is running a lot more than me at this time . But let's hope it's an easy one!

Quote:
There is a 986 on the Chinese Porsche forum here with the exact same issues that Bat and yourself are having. MIL, batt/oil, spoiler tak tak tak thingny

He was running an aftermarket 2DIN deck with LCD, 400watts amp, GPS module, some depo LEDs tailights and a nice and expansive aftermarket iPhone charger - all at the same time! When he starts the car with accessories turned ON he gets these lights, if he turns accessories OFF and start the car, all is fine.

Luckily for him it was only a bad battery but none the less, his thread is about 7 pages long lol

Luck mate
Old 08-01-2014, 08:26 PM   #6

Update

Hey all - Aug 1st. As mentioned in a previous post, those shinny lights are long gone

Some good news: Pelican Parts have kindly agreed to carry the "Performance Bi-Xenon Optics" projector kits in their online catalogue. So they will still be available for both the Boxster 986's and the 911's in the Autumn! It should make it easier for some of you guys to simply order them from Pelican. You'll spend less on shipping and get them five times faster than if you would order them from me. Huge thanks goes to Pelican for that!!!

I'll pass over the links as soon as I see them appearing in their catalogue for sure.

August will be a busy month here, but will sure keep updates coming as usual. In a meantime, here goes the last 3 kits I've made for some friends

^ this was by far the hardest kit to see leaving, the red one, Luminoso, white angel eyes (arrrggg). That is exactly what I am dying in putting into my car
Old 08-01-2014, 08:30 PM   #7

arrrggg x1000 lol

Old 08-01-2014, 09:26 PM   #8

Garage
Quote:
^ this was by far the hardest kit to see leaving, the red one, Luminoso, white angel eyes (arrrggg). That is exactly what I am dying in putting into my car
So what is stopping you? You need to just do it! Glad to see they will be available to a wide audience
iPad Mini Dash Install
DEPO Tail Lights
BruceH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 03:32 PM   #9

Garage
[QUOTE=Nine8Six;412713]Hey all - Aug 1st. As mentioned in a previous post, those shinny lights are long gone

Some good news: Pelican Parts have kindly agreed to carry the "Performance Bi-Xenon Optics" projector kits in their online catalogue. So they will still be available for both the Boxster 986's and the 911's in the Autumn! It should make it easier for some of you guys to simply order them from Pelican. You'll spend less on shipping and get them five times faster than if you would order them from me. Huge thanks goes to Pelican for that!!!

I'll pass over the links as soon as I see them appearing in their catalogue for sure.

August will be a busy month here, but will sure keep updates coming as usual. In a meantime, here goes the last 3 kits I've made for some friends

Hi Fred,
Great news on picking up Pelican Parts as an outlet for your projectors! They are going to be a great success for you.
Are those Gun Metal Grey Vivo projectors on their way to a domicile in Pennsylvania? Can't wait

You need to take the time and build that red set for yourself and get them installed soon.