Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > DIY Project Guides

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-24-2014, 09:36 AM   #641
Custom User Title Here

Garage
I'm on it! Just been swamped!

Last edited by particlewave; 07-24-2014 at 10:19 AM.
particlewave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 10:26 AM   #642

Standby for now!

If you have a minute dig out what Hubert's car looks like and made of. He is big & fast enough to figure out a way out of this with the pro in NL (Retrofitlabs). I'll go check these guys out see what they do there.

That is H's 3.6L BOXSTER (wroom wroom!)

Old 07-24-2014, 12:29 PM   #643

Guys, thanks a lot for your help! It's really nice to so how people can help you from the other side of the world

I'll receive a different set of ballasts hopefully tomorrow and test them one by one (Left then Right, and the together). Let's hope that that solves it.

I will also wash the car and post some new pics. With the pole position seats and my GT3 Cup front bumper! :dance:
Edreamsz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 06:51 PM   #644

Did my car just TURN allergic?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edreamsz View Post
Guys, can someone help me?

I have been having some electrical problems with the headlights. They work perfect BUT have some side effects:

My low oil warning light goes off. Turning of the lights and starting the car again solves that problem.
My battery light goes off. Turning of the lights and starting the car again solves that problem.
My automatic spoiler quits being automatic. Turning off the lights solves that also.

So, can anyone help me with the above mentioned? My battery is still strong. The car starts perfectly every time (even after a 3 week vacation).

I got the MK2 set (Same a Chrono's) and it hasn't given me a problem until now. Same as you: battery light coming on, oil light coming on, finding my spoiler up for no reason.
Could it be somewhat related to some of the LEDs dying out?
I can't think my car TURNED allergic to aftermarket kits after running with since last November.
Old 07-24-2014, 08:18 PM   #645

When you say MK2 set, are you making reference to the headlight below?

Old 07-24-2014, 10:14 PM   #646

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nine8Six View Post
Answered my own question by looking up some of your previous posts. Looks like those are the headlights you have!

You could do like a few have done already and sort the issue by patching things up e.g. adding some resistance onto the light circuit. Problem remains? no worries just add more but not too much or you'll see your brightness diminishing greatly (dimmed headlights?) and those resistors' temp rising :/ Needs trials. If really that issue you are having doesn't want to go away, then you'll need to completely isolate the lighting system from the existing car circuit by connecting everything directly onto the 12v battery using a relay/harness type setup.

You could also buy a new battery, an alternator, and all should get back to normal same as the other thousand of boxsters/996s out there who are also equipped with the same headlights you have. Or HID kits!?

But again, I'm not a electro pro. Just a wild guess yea

Last edited by Nine8Six; 07-24-2014 at 10:16 PM.
Nine8Six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 04:07 AM   #647

Garage
My question for all of this (tossing a rock in the dark) some folks had weird issues with the Litronics pop up in another thread. They would not self level, etc etc. It appears to have been fixed by replacing a particular relay. Does that relay exist in the non litronic cars, if so could one be effecting the projector lights in this case?
BFeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 07:15 AM   #648

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFeller View Post
My question for all of this (tossing a rock in the dark) some folks had weird issues with the Litronics pop up in another thread. They would not self level, etc etc. It appears to have been fixed by replacing a particular relay. Does that relay exist in the non litronic cars, if so could one be effecting the projector lights in this case?
Our friend Hubert will sort his issue no worries bro, nice of you reaching and trying to help out. The truth is, often simply changing ballasts with ones that has higher rated capacitors/resistance solves those weird problems. Trouble is you need to try a few and that can be annoying, or you might get lucky and the first one you try is spot-on (Hubert, fingers crossed).

-or- other similar patches to fix old car's fluctuating and/or weakening voltages includes adding "aftermarket" resistor & high power capacitor packs. Or even simpler, moving your high powered lighting system away from that car system and feed it directly from the 12v battery with a relay/harness. Cheaper than slamming in new batteries and alternators for sure (read I'd do the patching thing also lol).

Last edited by Nine8Six; 07-25-2014 at 11:21 AM. Reason: typing faster than I can think lol
Nine8Six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 08:18 AM   #649

Quote:
WOW! That car looks great!

Would do the headlight mod too, but the german TÜV won't give his OK for that. No chance to make such mods road legal in germany.

Regards
Smallblock454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 09:12 AM   #650

Quote:

Yes, those very ones
Old 07-25-2014, 09:34 AM   #651

Quote:
Originally Posted by batshapedheart View Post
Yes, those very ones
Yea those are great looking headlights. I like them very much

You can buy a them here:
Porsche 986 Boxster 996 MK1 Black LED DRL Projector Headlights | eBay

ps. sure you can find other members here who has them, run a quick search?

Happy boxster'ing!
Old 07-25-2014, 07:46 PM   #652

can you fit projectors into the fog light area on the headlight?
cbbepop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 08:05 PM   #653
Custom User Title Here

Garage
The fog light reflector is only 4cm tall, so it would have to be a tiny projector. I have not had any luck finding any that small.

Old 07-25-2014, 08:29 PM   #654

Quote:
Yea those are great looking headlights. I like them very much

You can buy a them here:
Porsche 986 Boxster 996 MK1 Black LED DRL Projector Headlights | eBay

ps. sure you can find other members here who has them, run a quick search?

Happy boxster'ing!
?!

Yes, they are very good looking ones: I OWN THEM. That's why I'm puzzled as to why my Boxster has "become" allergic to it: my battery and oil light are going off, and it's even affecting my spoiler.
So again, my question is: How could my Boxster have become allergic to it if I've had them since October and if its probable that a couple of LEDs dying would be the cause, since I also have LED taillights. I read somewhere that if you have too many LEDs that might trigger some issues, or something along those lines.
Old 07-25-2014, 08:42 PM   #655
Custom User Title Here

Garage
It's not the LEDs. They are on load resistors, so even if all but 1 went out, the car would never know the difference (the resistor emulates a bulb).

Are you running halogens or HIDs in the units? What type of ballasts are you using, if HID?

Edit: my best guess is that you are also running HIDs and that this problem is being caused by AC feedback in the line from a faulty ballast.

Last edited by particlewave; 07-25-2014 at 08:44 PM.
Old 07-25-2014, 08:51 PM   #656

Quote:
Originally Posted by batshapedheart View Post
?!

Yes, they are very good looking ones: I OWN THEM. That's why I'm puzzled as to why my Boxster has "become" allergic to it: my battery and oil light are going off, and it's even affecting my spoiler.
So again, my question is: How could my Boxster have become allergic to it if I've had them since October and if its probable that a couple of LEDs dying would be the cause, since I also have LED taillights. I read somewhere that if you have too many LEDs that might trigger some issues, or something along those lines.
yea those are great looking headlights, one of these days I'll own them as well for sure!

If you have a battery light coming up, your twin spoiler motors and some other sensors doesn't have enough juice left from the car system to operate correctly, buy this mate:

Alternator:
Porsche Boxster (1997-2004) - Charging System & Battery - Page 1

Battery:
Porsche Boxster (1997-2004) - Charging System & Battery - Page 1
Old 07-26-2014, 01:28 PM   #657
Custom User Title Here

Garage
Because the symptoms are the same as Hubert's, I wonder if bat is running HIDs...?

I'm leaning toward faulty ballasts as the cause, but hard to tell without concrete evidence or information.
Old 07-26-2014, 06:52 PM   #658

Quote:
Originally Posted by particlewave View Post
Because the symptoms are the same as Hubert's, I wonder if bat is running HIDs...?

I'm leaning toward faulty ballasts as the cause, but hard to tell without concrete evidence or information.
We've taken this up in the correct thread Charles. Thanks for your apocalyptic assumption btw lol 20,000volts AC feedback into the system.... you watch Preppers (Nat Geo HD, 21:00)?

Here the follow-up link for our friend Bat: http://986forum.com/forums/general-discussions/53288-freaking-out.html
Old 07-26-2014, 09:04 PM   #659
Custom User Title Here

Garage
Hahaha! Good stuff, buddy

Last edited by particlewave; 08-09-2014 at 11:35 PM.
Old 07-29-2014, 12:56 AM   #660

Hi guys, here's an update.

Yesterday I received a pair of ballast with a build-in Canbus solution (ballast/starter/Canbus in one box). I turned the Xenon kit on and immediately my oil warning lamp went on .

So, these units are going back. My next step will be connecting some Canbus warning cancellers between the ballast and my 12V connectors as an extra.

I also thought of another possible solution. There is a possibility that the peak voltage after starting the Xenon kit triggers the problem. So, by connecting the ballasts directly to my battery via a relay I will be effectively removing that peak voltage when turning the Xenon lights on right? This is just an idea....any thoughts on this?

Edreamsz is offline   Reply With Quote