Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > DIY Project Guides

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-24-2013, 03:00 AM   #61

Amazing! Can't wait to get my kit.

MitchSF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 03:10 AM   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjc2050 View Post
They look great. Have you had a chance to try them at night yet?
Yes did that yesterday nite. The 35w ballasts are perfect for city driving. Not too bright and very clean in all honesty. I use a 6k HID lamp and they appear to be 100% pure white (no blue'ish glare). Looks just as factory HIDs really.

The high beams are a bit killer however. Not sure if this is safe but given you turn them off when someone comes up the opposite direction everybody should live a long life.

I'll try to snap a few shots of the beams at night. I might need the help of my buddy here who is a pro photograph.... I've never had too much luck shooting at nite but will give it a try anyway (fingers crossed).

Last edited by Nine8Six; 09-24-2013 at 10:04 AM.
Nine8Six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 03:12 AM   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by MitchSF View Post
Amazing! Can't wait to get my kit.
Mitch, I got you priority mate no worries
Old 09-24-2013, 06:48 AM   #64

Your Boxster looks killer...What body kit is that?
heliguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 10:25 AM   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffm View Post
Looks fantastic! I now wish I waited instead of buying the LED ones. I'm assuming you're selling this as a complete retrofit kit? Did you mention price?
Jeff, I can't do this publically not being a vendor. I would certainly hope to be able to sell out to fellow 986 owners by offering an identical (complete) retrofit kit, that is right. If there is a demand then I'll sponsor the 986forum by becoming one. Can't find any details about this anywhere at the minute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trey T View Post
Extremely dedicated, OP.
How much time have you spent on the R&D, 100hrs?
What brand is the projector? It looks like morimoto.
You are right. The seller selling this range of projector calls them morimoto I believe.
The manufacturer of the projector did the R&D already. I've researched on the materials only. Did you know that Porsche uses the very same Polycarbonate used to make the F22 Raptor cockpit top window?

Quote:
Originally Posted by heliguy View Post
Your Boxster looks killer...What body kit is that?
RE killer; you meant this all because of the headlights style right?!

A's: GT2 front bumper, GT3 rear bumper, TA Style sideskirts and a AerokitII (knockoff) spoiler). All made of very cheap fiberglass! Had the front and rear bumpers custom made however, in 3mm thickness (ultralight) with a supplied epoxy resin. Others are the UDP, cold intake, and a full performance exhaust system. I get the car dialed in every seasons at my local circuit by a Pcar guru there. Got maps for each seasons.... cost more in fuel in cold months, and more air in summer time. Deleted a few things as well. Properly tuned, the 2.5l can become a fun little car, but not yet 'killer'

Last edited by Nine8Six; 09-24-2013 at 10:46 AM.
Nine8Six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 02:14 PM   #66

That is looking really nice!
Old 09-24-2013, 03:28 PM   #67

nice work on the headlights. Very nice car- no one would ever guess it's year. What wheel size?
Old 09-24-2013, 04:23 PM   #68
Custom User Title Here

Garage
Looking great! You did reserve a kit for me, right?

I'm not looking to crack my headlights open again any time soon, but if I did, I'd definitely want to install these. Since they are basically the same mount design as my existing projectors, it would be any easy swap.

Edit: final design

Last edited by particlewave; 08-09-2014 at 11:29 PM.
particlewave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 05:27 PM   #69

What's your secret on getting such nice clean and clear headlight lens without the yellowing from exidation? I have an 03 which have headlights newer than those, garage kept and it's yellowing... Please share.

PS, headlights look great!
ohhh my is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 10:14 PM   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKnowles View Post
That is looking really nice!
What really pays off on this mod is having cool members like yourself throwing nice compliments. Really appreciated. Cheers mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodsman View Post
nice work on the headlights. Very nice car- no one would ever guess it's year. What wheel size?
Same as yours Woodmans, I'm sure nobody can guess the year of your boxster. One thing for sure, the design of this car is timeless. Quoted from many members already but fun to reminded ourselves.

Wheels are 8.5" (ET40) front and 9.5" (ET40) rear with 235/30-19 & 275/35-19 rubbers. The rear arrives flush to the fender but I like it with a 15mm spacer. The fender to wheel arch follow-up is what makes this car rear-end look badass imo. Don't flame me on the 19" and '97 model too quick.... the wheels are as light as the stockers

Quote:
Originally Posted by particlewave View Post
Looking great! You did reserve a kit for me, right?
Anytime mate. There is a US based member who is looking at retrofitting his but doesn't have time to carry the job and want to send me his headlights. Can I send a kit to you (gift included) and he sends you his headlight for a retrofit job by you? Not far from you. He is happy to support financially I believe - send me a quote if interested.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhh my View Post
What's your secret on getting such nice clean and clear headlight lens without the yellowing from exidation? I have an 03 which have headlights newer than those, garage kept and it's yellowing... Please share.
A bit savage but there you go:

1) Wet sand with #1200 abrasive paper (carbide) (15min per headlight)
2) Wet sand with #2000 (30min per headlight - if you can't find #2000, ask a local jewelry shop where they get theirs)
3) Use a rotary pad/machine and buff them with the Maguire Headlight Restoration kit (a good 30-45min per headlight). Do this in a hot environment..... as in don't let the polycarbonate cool down when buffing them for the whole period.

It's a loooong and painful 2.5hrs job (lol) but as you can see, once done you won't be able to make the difference between an old unit and a NEW one
Old 09-25-2013, 10:21 AM   #71

Did you remove the reflector bowl to paint it? I don't see how to remove it, and I don't want to break anything trying. Guess it can be painted in place, but I'd rather remove it if it's not too much trouble.

I will use VHT high temperature ceramic flat black paint for this.
Old 09-26-2013, 07:34 AM   #72

Quote:
Originally Posted by MitchSF View Post
Did you remove the reflector bowl to paint it? I don't see how to remove it, and I don't want to break anything trying. Guess it can be painted in place, but I'd rather remove it if it's not too much trouble.

I will use VHT high temperature ceramic flat black paint for this.
I didn't. And I was happy to paint on the unit just in front of the bowl. When reassembled you have a 3/4" gap between the bowl and the headlight's insert and that also needs painting. Just lift the bowl to its highest position using the headlight adjustment HEX screw (lower one) so that the spray can reached under the bowl. That did the trick for mine.

If you really need to remove it, the assembly main mount screw is located behind the PIN connector. The connector has to be removed first (two screws, top/bottom). That's as far as I can help, I didn't removed mine so I don't know how much more effort there is after that main assembly screw. Careful, the assembly seems to be mounted on a snap/ball joint system. If your headlight is aged you don't want to pry anything there. PE material stiffen with age... better to just let it be (100% safer).

Flat black is by far tha best choice for a sport looking headlight, I couldn't agree more. But you will have to remind yourself to never park the front-end in direct sunlight. Not sure of the exact heat tolerance of the Porsche headlight but I know that matte black and sunlight are not good friends. I'd say if the car is garaged and occasionally driven, then Go-Go flat black. If not (e.g. DD) Satin Black is the safest.

I couldn't find any flat black in high temp here (for some reason). Satin finish only, which is closer to matte than gloss. I was quite surprised with the result but of course not 100% satisfied
Old 09-26-2013, 07:44 AM   #73

Small detail.

Read from the pro at HiDplanet : The Official Automotive Lighting Forum that some paints react to the chrome material used on some reflectors. So don't take the chance and sand the chrome finish off your bowls before applying your paint. Literally take 5 min per headlight with a #600 grit abrasive paper. The chrome is so burnt out by the halogen' heat that it comes right off - was a good sign that this had to go before painting
Old 09-26-2013, 09:16 AM   #74

Thanks for the advice. I will paint the reflectors in place, and I will sand them first.
Old 09-28-2013, 02:25 PM   #75
Custom User Title Here

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nine8Six View Post
Anytime mate. There is a US based member who is looking at retrofitting his but doesn't have time to carry the job and want to send me his headlights. Can I send a kit to you (gift included) and he sends you his headlight for a retrofit job by you? Not far from you. He is happy to support financially I believe - send me a quote if interested.
I think we can work something out

I'll send you a pm after I get off work.
Old 10-05-2013, 01:44 AM   #76

Quote:
amazing work and result fred

I just back from spain with my family yesterday. how is my friend green car custom light? sending already?
TAKART is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 03:51 AM   #77

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAKART View Post
amazing work and result fred

I just back from spain with my family yesterday. how is my friend green car custom light? sending already?
Thanks Takart

And yes yes yes those greeners are done and shipped out since more than a week now - he signed for the parcel last Thursday so I know he has them safe with him. Looks like you have some catch up to do on your forum there. Your friend François is a good lad, I love him (you can tell him). He made me anodize 65,735 different piece of aluminum to test a few greens that I have here :/ Very generous guy however, the tip he PayPal to me is enough to pay for my electricity bills until next March 2014 (embarrassing). Rich French Racers.

He promise he'll send me a few pictures of his lime green 911 with those installed. Can I please task you to make sure he does. That'd be fab.... I'd pay whatever to see this!

^ Custom made, anodized lime green aluminum with his team typeface (his request)
Old 10-05-2013, 03:58 AM   #78

Not to forget, his team mate from CPRT also got a kit. I had to do this one for free to remove the embarrassing weight I had on my shoulder (RE François' PayPal overkill surprise).

This guy wanted them black-on-black for a black '99 gt3 with painted black Carrera Cup BBS wheels. One of the sickest car I've seen.... your mates do have good taste let me tell you that.

I made sure to provide the hardware (screw and cap) in 99.998% PURE anodize aluminum (lol). Hope we are squared Takart, as you've requested, I gave my very best for your mates there

Old 10-05-2013, 07:40 PM   #79

Quote:
He promise he'll send me a few pictures of his lime green 911 with those installed. Can I please task you to make sure he does. That'd be fab.... I'd pay whatever to see this!
no problemo i can do this. you can not see the picture and detail because francois post is reserve to vip member

thank you for doing a good job for my friend. you give a free kit to the wrong guy you need to give it to me haha. someone on my forum write you sell the kit include every thing hid ballast and light for 325 us dollars is this real? the price you give me is 355 why more for me?
Old 10-05-2013, 07:49 PM   #80

also can you send me installation picture or save it on this post so we can see how to install the projector many people asking to see this. thank you fred