Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > DIY Project Guides

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-24-2013, 09:33 PM   #1

TopSpeed Muffler and Cat-Delete Pipes

So I installed my test pipes and muffler today. Video in the link below.

The test pipe did not come with secondary O2 sensor locations, so I just tucked them into their small hole and the CEL didn't come on.

Of course I'll have to mention that test pipes are not street legal, and you'll be polluting the world... but throttle response and acceleration are significantly improved. I didn't think it'd be possible to see power increase over exhaust plumbing, but there you have it.

Over 3k RPM, It is LOUD. Too loud for my liking. So loud that I'm considering buying some aftermarket hi-flow cats and cutting off my test pipes to weld them on. Not quite as loud as a straight pipe, but it is definitely LS7 loud. Definitely turns heads though.

The sound is very throaty. It is perfect under 3k RPM. Deep, growling roar that isn't too bad. Above 3k RPM, it just becomes quite obnoxious... although I must say put it past 6k RPM and you have a roar the car deserves. It's just accelerating from a stop light and onto the freeway that is bad. No drone on the highway unless you WOT.

Overall I'm happy with it. It doesn't fart like a Honda Civic, and it turns heads faster than it did before. For $450, you can't really beat it.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10200513790340073&set=vb.1017270010&type=3

Crono0001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 11:14 PM   #2
Custom User Title Here

Garage
Love the low end growl!
Old 06-25-2013, 09:35 PM   #3

An update after another day of ownership....

... well... what is there to say...?
I hate it. I absolutely abhor it, and it's probably because I don't have any cats. I am embarrassed to turn the key. I am embarrassed accelerating at a stop. I am embarrassed to even press on the gas during the highway. There isn't a drone, but if you try to accelerate, it lets everyone around you know. I wake babies just starting the engine.

I'm going to be looking for some Hi-flow catalytic converters tomorrow. One, because I don't want to pollute the world to death. Two, because I really hope the sound dies down significantly. I don't know if it's my muffler or test pipes, but I know adding cats should calm this damn thing down.

End word? Don't get test pipes and muffler combination if you don't want to wake the living dead. Power is nice (and it's significant, surprisingly), but this is a daily driver, not a track car.
Old 06-26-2013, 06:26 AM   #4

Hey Crono, are those polished wheels the standard Porsche wheels that you polished up to a nice shine?

I think it looks better than the standard look and may want to go that route myself.

Got any pics of the wheels on you car?

Sorry to hear those pipes were too loud but like you said, a high flow cat should tame the beasts.
Short Shifter, Touch Screen Dual Din Radio, 03 4 Bow glass Top (DD & Auto-X since May 17,2012)
jb92563 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 07:11 AM   #5
edc
550 Anniversary

Garage
Looking at the pics it looks like I have the same exhaust. it is all over ebay UK. I had this fitted and it was quite loud, standard UK cats. I then fitted the generic ebay UK manifolds or headers, and it quietened it down a fair bit. I have done lots of dyno runs and the exhaust system does show a power and torque gain. You can also try to add a balance pipe between the 2 boxes as this will lessen the drone and noise.
Sold: 986S - Zenith Blue - 18" Sport Classics - Black Zunsport grilles - Stainless silencer and manifolds - K&N panel - shortshift - M030 suspension - 75mm throttle body - custom 83mm intake - SmartTop - custom remap - MDS underdrive pulley
edc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 01:27 AM   #6

I put just a top speed muffler in last week. It's loud when I get on it at low rpm, but otherwise, it's really not at all like you describe. I want it a little louder honestly, but when it comes to exhaust dbs things are completely subjective. I've learned that over the years. One person's loud, is another person's "need louder."

BTW- how did you get the muffler to hang so low? I put some washers in there and jiggled it all I could, but only have a hairs worth of clearance. Maybe their pipes help.

Good luck getting it resolved, and good move for the environment's health. I won't run the pipes for that reason alone.

I've found a good short ram intake setup can give a little more tip-in response on any car regardless of the stock airbox's flow characteristics. Maybe try messing with that part if you haven't already afterwards, and are still looking for a little more response. I haven't done this on my car yet, but I've been around the block, and the naysayers here sounds just like the naysayers on every board, and I always put an intake in, and always enjoy the hell out of it every time I step on the gas.
Hayden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 06:37 AM   #7

Because I'll be switching out the engine soon, I don't want to do too much with the intake or the headers.

I'm pretty sure it's my test pipes that give it the god awful volume. I'll keep you guys posted on how the car sounds after I get some hi-flo's in.

I really do hope the sound is as you describe it for the muffler. I really would hate to have to scrap the whole thing.
Old 06-29-2013, 08:50 PM   #8
Need For Speed

Garage
I sure would like to hear some more of your setup. I've been considering doing the exact same setup you have, but using headers with high flow cats. Now I'm not sure with your review. I also lol'ed at the "doesn't fart like a Honda Civic".
KRAM36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 12:17 PM   #9

Garage
I have the TopSpeed Muffler and test pipes, but otherwise stock headers. The catalytic convertors don't lessen the sound as much as the muffler. Have you tried test pipes and stock muffler? It would sound much sportier than stock and would probably be quiet enough for your taste without losing too much power. Remember, the stock muffler weighs in at 45 pounds compared to a 20 pound TS muffler. The stock muffler has an attic's worth of insulation in there!
Kenny Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 03:44 PM   #10

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by KRAM36 View Post
I sure would like to hear some more of your setup. I've been considering doing the exact same setup you have, but using headers with high flow cats. Now I'm not sure with your review. I also lol'ed at the "doesn't fart like a Honda Civic".
Where do you plan on sourcing some high flow cats ?
Old 06-30-2013, 05:50 PM   #11

Ooof, I finally have some time to answer your questions.

1: I got the muffler to hang low because I left the 'plate' from the stock muffler in. I thought that's how it's supposed to be done. It may just be inconsistencies in the welding of the muffler.

2: Chrome wheels:
https://fbcdn-sphotos-f-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-frc3/894671_10200169725098657_1741134164_o.jpg
https://fbcdn-sphotos-h-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/859776_4760583925331_646754502_o.jpg

I'm adding high flow cats tomorrow. I'm pretty sure I'm getting CO poisoning because I have a hard time breathing with a heavy beating heart every time I get out of a long drive. It also DOES fart between 3-4k RPM...

Not happy with this setup at all. I hope I remedy all problems tomorrow.
Old 06-30-2013, 07:35 PM   #12
Need For Speed

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Danger View Post
Where do you plan on sourcing some high flow cats ?
Porsche Boxster 986 2 7L 3 2L NHP High Performance Headers with Sport Catalytic | eBay

Old 06-30-2013, 07:56 PM   #13

Garage

I'd do some research regarding those headers and cats. There's been at least a couple of members who have reported experiencing CEL's over time. And, I suspect that it has to do with the internals of the cats breaking down over time.
Old 06-30-2013, 11:14 PM   #14

Not to mention that price...
Old 07-04-2013, 11:59 AM   #15
Need For Speed

Garage
Check this out. Never knew these existed.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/cci-3di02r/overview/

truegearhead posted about them here.

Exhaust insert to quite exhaust

Got to wondering about how much noise that baffle would makes clanking around inside the exhaust pipe...? Guess you could have it tack welded?

Topspeed says this is a 2" o.d. system on the ebay listing. Should be able to drop these in at this location. Check the sound, not sure if they might shoot into the muffler when testing though lol. If you like it, run the car to a muffler shop and have them tack weld them in.

Last edited by KRAM36; 07-04-2013 at 07:07 PM.