Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > DIY Project Guides

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-10-2013, 04:22 AM   #1

Garage
Tail light replacement issues!!!!

so i recently replaced my OEM tail light assemblies with some aftermarket LED ones. i have seen a few people post the same ones in the past. when i installed them everything seemed to be working fine EXCEPT when i run the fog lights only the left side fog array lights up and the right side does not, the rest of the lights work fine. of course being the cheap-ass i am, i had ordered these from an overseas company on ebay. i contacted them about this issue and they asked for a picture which i happily provided. however their response was that this is normal and how the car was designed. i would like to restate that: they emailed me saying that the car was designed to only have a left rear fog lamp and that if i contacted porsche i would receive the same answer. please tell me that i am not crazy here. there is no way that can be true. i have yet to contact my local dealer which i may do later today when they open. has any one else had this experience? i plan on contacting ebay's buyer protection program to open a case against them for sending me a faulty part and refusing to replace it unless they are correct which i find extremely hard to believe. sorry if this is in the wrong place.

thanks.

bigdirty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 05:30 AM   #2
Custom User Title Here

Garage
Run a search. This is normal and how the car was designed. The stock tail lights work exactly the same way. There are work arounds, but this is normal.

Right Rear Fog Light out...

http://986forum.com/forums/general-discussions/4784-rear-fog-lights.html

http://986forum.com/forums/general-discussions/11746-rear-fog-light-not-working.html

http://986forum.com/forums/general-discussions/14178-rear-fog-lights.html

http://986forum.com/forums/general-discussions/23448-rear-fog-lights.html

Last edited by particlewave; 04-10-2013 at 07:39 AM.
particlewave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 07:37 PM   #3

Yes actually they are correct. Some people have modded their wiring to allow for both which is cool because you can make people behind you think you are braking and then take off... Probably useful for tailgaters tho I haven't done this...or rewired...
mcomet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 06:22 AM   #4

Garage
This is how Porsche wired the rear tail lights. Your lights are not faulty. I tapped the brake wire and wired it to the fogs. This way both sets of LED's come on when I brake. The fogs don't come on with the first tap of the brake pedal but they do with the second tap.
iPad Mini Dash Install
DEPO Tail Lights
BruceH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 06:52 AM   #5

Yup, check out the manual. You can make the lights do all sorts of crazy things when parking, etc..
You wouldn't want them both on at the same time as people will think you are braking
Skrapmot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 05:19 PM   #6

Garage
i guess the previous owner of my 97 did some modifications to the tail lights then... my OEMS would both come on with the fog lamp switch. i am surprised by this, but it makes sense that if they were both on people would think you are braking all the time. that never really occured to me. ill do some tinkering and wire them to come on with the brake lights. that was what i expected in the first place.

bigdirty is offline   Reply With Quote