Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-27-2004, 03:37 PM   #1

Send a message via MSN to jscrimsh Send a message via Yahoo to jscrimsh
Right Rear Fog Light out...

Anyone know where I can find a wiring diagram, or suggestions on what may cause the Right Rear Fog light to quit working? Its not the bulb, and a test light shows no power making it to the harness that connects to the light cluster. Trying to trace the wire back under the carpet shows it heading toward the rear wheel well, but I would like to review the diagram before ripping the carpet all out to make sure I don't head the wrong way.

Thanks - John
2000 Boxster

jscrimsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2004, 03:54 PM   #2
porsche986

have your tried www.porscheboxster.info i am sure there was a full wiring diagram there. If not i am sure someone here will help.
Old 12-27-2004, 05:35 PM   #3

I thought the rear fog light was only on the left assembly? The manual speaks of it in singular only.
Bethencorp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2004, 06:24 PM   #4

It used to light up on both the left and right sides (I thought)... has a place for the bulb... and the wire is there... I didn't realize it was out until a gentlemen wanted to admire it at a stop light and mentioned it to me.
Old 12-27-2004, 06:40 PM   #5

OK, after more googling around, I see that most sites mention that the foglight is only on the left side, but that its wired for the right side... Any ideas WHY? Thanks!
Old 12-27-2004, 07:00 PM   #6

Just one on a Boxster or 996. Left side on a LHD car and on the right side on a RHD car.

Many theories as to why it is the way it is.

There is a wire to the bulb socket which does not work because there is no power in the wire.

We just run a simple jumper wire to get both bulbs to light up. Only as a test as we do not have fog where I live.
Tool Pants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2004, 07:18 PM   #7

When I saw this post, I went out to my 97 boxster and turned on the rear fog LIGHTS (plural) and both light up...

I wonder why both my lamps light up?
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2004, 07:33 PM   #8

On German cars the rear fog light is only to light up whatever side the drivers side is on. This is to help determine which side of the car your coming up on in poor weather conditions. If both sides light up it's only 'cause somebody was farting around with the wiring. I've gotten this info from a MB owners manual from the 70's.
wvicary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2004, 08:14 PM   #9

The other theory is so that it is not confused with the brake lights.

For Randall, pull out the right side bulb holder and see if there is a 'missing' bulb.
Tool Pants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2004, 08:04 AM   #10

Send a message via AIM to Subanez
Exactly...only one side is *supposed* to light up...more I think for Tool Pants observation than for the other, though they are both valid.

If you looked up suddenly and saw two bright red lights, you'd slam on your brakes...and that can be dangerous.

Could be faulty wiring, or some sort of short in the system that makes them both light up.

"I ran until my muscles burned and my veins pumped battery acid. And then I ran some more." -Fight Club
Subanez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2004, 11:55 AM   #11

Thank you all for the help... Guess I should have asked before I took the time to pull all the carpeting to trace the wires back . Now I know and the next time someone points out the light being out, I will know better. At least the carpet went back in much easier than it came out, hehe.
Old 12-28-2004, 07:50 PM   #12

Hey, if the twin fog lamps keep idiots from riding my tail on the freeway so they can be up close to a Porsche, sobeit!

In Houston, we've got a real bad problem with tailgaters.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2004, 10:11 PM   #13

Now if we could just get people to stop parking next to it in the empty parking lot.... Ever notice that if you intenitionally park out in the far spaces of an empty lot to avoid having cars next to you, that when you come back, there will be cars parked on both sides directly next to you even if there are 20 other empty spots around you?