Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > DIY Project Guides

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-05-2013, 07:41 AM   #1
Texas-T

Garage
Replacing Boots (Intake Manifold to Resonance Tube)

My 2004 S gave me codes p0171 (P 360,) p0174 (P 361,) & p0507 (P 32) which i found to be a vacuum leak. Somehow, one of the boots got pinched by the metal strapping and is leaking air. i ordered replacement boots, but it is very tight, and i was looking for advice on how remove and replace the boots without removing more parts that i have to. can anyone please share advice if you've had a similiar experience?

Terry

tconnarn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 08:03 AM   #2

I replaced the same part last year. Your best bet is to remove the "T" plenum first because if you don't it will take you longer and just be harder to do in general, especially plugging the hard plastic hose back into the rubber hole in the sleeve. I hope that makes sense. It's not a hard thing to do but you need to pay attention to what you disconnect and where it was otherwise you may get a little confused when putting it all back together.
coolbreeze551 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 08:24 AM   #3
Texas-T

Garage
Thank you Cool Breeze! That doesn't sound too bad. I was worried that i may have to remove the whole intake manifold. I ordered a spare throttle body gasket when i ordered the boots just in case. glad i got it now! i will replace that as well. I will also make sure to take lots of photos in order to remember how it all goes together
Old 03-13-2013, 08:38 AM   #4
Texas-T

Garage
Ok, i was able to remove the Resonance Tube and replace the boots by loosening the clamps, and sliding the boots both inward. However, i think that i may have pulled part #29 out of something in the process... my codes came back on and also random misfires and specific cylinder misfire codes as well as the original p0171 & p0174 What does part # 29 attach to?
Old 03-13-2013, 11:24 AM   #5

I think you have pulled the vacum hose off the resonance flap actuator. If you follow the schematic line from 29 it should take you to vacum diaphragm of the actuator. As I recall this is on the underside of the resonance tube you removed.

It's really tight in there and you might have pull the tube back out to get the vacum line back on.

I would imagine some of the codes you listed are from your resonance flap not actuating.
Old 03-13-2013, 07:27 PM   #6
Texas-T

Garage
Thank you JayKay. The tube is actually connected to the resonator tube, its the other end that i need to find the connection to. (i have attached a photo this time) also, is a photo of the deformed boot that was originally causing the leak and codes. i attached a pic from ebay that looks like it shows where the tube connects underneath the drivers side manifold, but it seems to be an older model than the 2004 S. this weekend i will be replacing the boots on the T tube and cleaning the throttle body as well, im hoping that i can remove it first and gain access below tp piece it back together.

Old 04-01-2013, 09:23 AM   #7
Texas-T

Garage
Mission Complete!

I was finally able to keep my P0171 & P0174 Trouble Codes away after replacing the Air Oil Separator! (Smoke testing revealed no leaks after replacing the Boots, hose clamps, and reattaching the Vaccum hose below!) The AOS took about 4 hours to replace. It was difficult to reach the spring clamp, with the special tool from below, so i had my fiance hold it from above while i aligned it below. But even harder to remove was the lower plastic "Pinch and pull" type plastic hose attachment that is on the lower side of the AOS. (facing the passenger side air vent) I tried for 90 minutes or so from all different angles above and below, and could not get a good enough grip to release it. Eventually i found that the best angle was to climb over the engine from the drivers side, and stick my hand in behind the AOS, pulling it towards me,which allowed me to get my fingers in there and unclip it. i also put a new O ring on that connection, while i had it open. Putting it all back together was only about a 30 minute job. the removal was the tricky part. The intake was full of oil, so i cleaned it again, and the TB while in there. She really purrs now! Good luck!

Now on to the next project. Replacing the CV Boots that i noticed were torn when underneath the car.
Old 08-04-2015, 01:18 PM   #8

Resonance tube hose

Hi there,

I have the same problem you had. Cant seem to locate where the hose has to go.
Can you please help me out.

Hose is connected to the resonance tube but don't know where to plug it in.

Thank you
vruity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 06:47 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by tconnarn View Post
Mission Complete!

I was finally able to keep my P0171 & P0174 Trouble Codes away after replacing the Air Oil Separator! (Smoke testing revealed no leaks after replacing the Boots, hose clamps, and reattaching the Vaccum hose below!) The AOS took about 4 hours to replace. It was difficult to reach the spring clamp, with the special tool from below, so i had my fiance hold it from above while i aligned it below. But even harder to remove was the lower plastic "Pinch and pull" type plastic hose attachment that is on the lower side of the AOS. (facing the passenger side air vent) I tried for 90 minutes or so from all different angles above and below, and could not get a good enough grip to release it. Eventually i found that the best angle was to climb over the engine from the drivers side, and stick my hand in behind the AOS, pulling it towards me,which allowed me to get my fingers in there and unclip it. i also put a new O ring on that connection, while i had it open. Putting it all back together was only about a 30 minute job. the removal was the tricky part. The intake was full of oil, so i cleaned it again, and the TB while in there. She really purrs now! Good luck!

Now on to the next project. Replacing the CV Boots that i noticed were torn when underneath the car.
Nice work! I did all those within the first year that I got my Boxster. Pedro's Garage has some great instructions on how to replace the CV boots without removing the axle nut if you haven't seen that already.
hancock1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2015, 10:21 AM   #10

Hi,

I need to remove the resonance tube.
And therefore i need to remove the hose (no 29 above pic).
Shall I remove it from the resonance flap actuator (26/27) or the other part of the tube , going to some sort of electrical sensor.

Felixliter is offline   Reply With Quote