Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > DIY Project Guides

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-01-2012, 06:05 PM   #1

Cup Holder Replacement

Hey guys, I want to remove the ugly cup holders from my '01 boxster dash. I want to replace it with a simple, classic looking mod maybe just the Porsche crest on black plastic. Has anyone replaced the cup holders with something else? I don't drink in my car (too afraid to spill/the cupholders are crap anyway) and don't really need anything functioning, just something that will look better.
Any suggestions or examples of what you guys have done will help.
from this:

to maybe this (I know this is super crude)

Tmbcn3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 11:06 PM   #2

LOL funny cause I went out and purchased the cup holders to add to my boxster. I use them quite a bit, I do wish they would hold a little bit bigger cup.
boxster7614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 07:32 AM   #3
2001 Arctic Silver 2.7

Garage
For those looking for a cup holder replacement.
BMW Cup Holders, Porsche Cup Holders, Ultimate Cup Holder - Cupholders / Drink Holders for BMW 3 5 7 Series, Boxster 911 Z4 Mercedes Audi NSX other fine cars.
A little pricey at $25 but work great and doesn't interfere with your leg.

Old 10-02-2012, 11:55 AM   #4

Garage
^^^^I agree with Tony. They are a bit expensive but they work great! Eventually my OEM cup holders will come out when I upgrade the radio to a DD.
iPad Mini Dash Install
DEPO Tail Lights
BruceH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 07:30 PM   #5
1999 base

Garage
Hello tbcm3.
Your best option in my opinion, will be to remove the cup holders, move the AC controls to the top of the consol (right above the head unit) and install the OEM storage compartment instead of the AC control.
You will have to buy the compartment + serounding bracket, and a new serounding bracket for the AC control.
All OEM, best look, and more storage place.
Meir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 09:36 PM   #6

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meir View Post
Hello tbcm3.
Your best option in my opinion, will be to remove the cup holders, move the AC controls to the top of the consol (right above the head unit) and install the OEM storage compartment instead of the AC control.
You will have to buy the compartment + serounding bracket, and a new serounding bracket for the AC control.
All OEM, best look, and more storage place.
Thanks Meir. Why would you want to be drinking something in your boxster anyway? I take turns way too fast
Tmbcn3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 06:44 AM   #7

The whole design of the upholders sitting over the radio seems odd to me, it's just an accident of coffee or water, or whatever splashing into the radio, waiting to happen.

Relocating the a/c controls up there and then adding the storage pocket below sounds like the best call. Plus it will look stock.
SolidWorks Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 11:41 AM   #8
1999 base

Garage
BTW, i was thinking about doing the same mod, but ended up going with the DD head unit.
i have the low storage compartment in excellent shape that i bought real cheap from another member.
send me a PM if you want it.

Last edited by Meir; 10-03-2012 at 11:46 AM.
Meir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 01:06 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidWorks Mike View Post
The whole design of the upholders sitting over the radio seems odd to me, it's just an accident of coffee or water, or whatever splashing into the radio, waiting to happen.

Relocating the a/c controls up there and then adding the storage pocket below sounds like the best call. Plus it will look stock.
I agree completely. I had one of the 1st generation Audi A4s and they had the same placement. Totally stupid.
shadrach74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 12:31 PM   #10
Homeboy981

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by tony_fury View Post
For those looking for a cup holder replacement.
BMW Cup Holders, Porsche Cup Holders, Ultimate Cup Holder - Cupholders / Drink Holders for BMW 3 5 7 Series, Boxster 911 Z4 Mercedes Audi NSX other fine cars.
A little pricey at $25 but work great and doesn't interfere with your leg.

@Tony,

We think alike, except I'm cheap! I found a set of 4 plastic cup holders at WalMart for $3. It took me one cup holder to know how to bend it right. Now I have an extra!

Easy Peasy! You lop the top 3" off, heat slightly and bend about 2" down in a "U" and insert between the console pieces on the floor! Easy mod but best NOT to put on driver's side…accelerator leg hit the top of the cup, and, although it did not fall - I DID get my leg wet! Not in a good way!

Past that, the thing has been "race tested" on the street and it does NOT fall! I use GIANT cups - NOT wimbly-wambly drinks b/c I am shopping houses for hours on end!

My $.02 - chunk the stock cr@p or put it on ebay, install the $3 fix and you can thank me later or send me a percentage of what you saved! And you can still enjoy your BIG GULP!

Here's a pic (cupholder on the right under that Christmas-colored cup).

Old 10-15-2012, 12:37 PM   #11
2001 Arctic Silver 2.7

Garage
Homeboy981:
Very ingenious..
T
Old 10-18-2012, 03:14 PM   #12

Give your Boxster Double D!!!!

Double Din it

Short Shifter, Touch Screen Dual Din Radio, 03 4 Bow glass Top (DD & Auto-X since May 17,2012)

Last edited by jb92563; 10-18-2012 at 03:18 PM.
jb92563 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
crest , cup holder , cupholder