Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > DIY Project Guides

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-04-2012, 03:43 AM   #141

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gforrest2 View Post
I can't remember which wire off hand. I found it someplace, just trying to remember where. I'll search around today. As for the splice. I used one of those clamps where you insert the splice wire in the clamp and close it on the wire you want to spice to. Probably should have just spliced and soldered it but I got lazy.

Glen
Thanks, great if you can find it.

I have measured the connectors and it seems pins 10 and 11 on the red plug are ignition switched 12V. They go to 12V when ignition is switched on but go back to zero when the key is turned back to the ACC position, which is not really what I want.

I prefer not to have to have ignition on to be able to run the radio. There should be a possibility to just use the ACC position, no?

I seem to remember the stock radio would remain powered until the doors were locked.

If only the pinouts of the a/c display were available somewhere...

politby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 06:51 PM   #142

Spent a lot of time searching this weekend for the thread that had this info and couldn't find it. Started searching again today and decided just to take out my AC controls and have a look. Took all of 5 minutes. Would have been less if I didn't drop a screw between the seat.

Anyway, not sure what pin it was but on my car, it was the blue and black wire. Couldn't tell if it was black with a blue stripe or vice versa. And it turns out I didn't use the clamp. I spliced and soldered this wire in.

But you're right. Before, I could play my stereo without the ignition on. Now, the ignition needs to be turned on for the radio to work.
Old 09-05-2012, 04:26 AM   #143

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gforrest2 View Post
Spent a lot of time searching this weekend for the thread that had this info and couldn't find it. Started searching again today and decided just to take out my AC controls and have a look. Took all of 5 minutes. Would have been less if I didn't drop a screw between the seat.

Anyway, not sure what pin it was but on my car, it was the blue and black wire. Couldn't tell if it was black with a blue stripe or vice versa. And it turns out I didn't use the clamp. I spliced and soldered this wire in.

But you're right. Before, I could play my stereo without the ignition on. Now, the ignition needs to be turned on for the radio to work.
Thanks. I think I will get the switched power off the fuse block after all.

I started dismantling the dash today, the objective is to get full access to the radio cavity and get the radio surround on the bench for easier adjustment of the new cage.

But I hit a brick wall. I do not know how to remove the plastic frame with the cupholder and the two vents. I got the "horseshoe" off (boy were those colored switch connectors a B&#%£ to get off), loosened the four Torx screws plus the two holding the metal radio support bracket, but there is something holding the vent/cupholder section still that I don't know how to deal with.

I thought it would be just a couple of clips, but I have pulled pretty hard and I feel if I pull any harder it will break into pieces.

Or do I need to remove the cupholders and vents separately? Appreciate some quick help.

Last edited by politby; 09-05-2012 at 04:38 AM.
Old 09-05-2012, 05:13 AM   #144
2001 Arctic Silver 2.7

Garage
You model dash is different from mine.
The air vents came out with my horseshoe. Also my cup holders were different from yours as well.
You have as much access as you can possibly get, you should be able to run your power wire to the fuse box with that access.
Name:  IMG_0278.jpg
Views: 4867
Size:  53.5 KBName:  IMG_0279.jpg
Views: 2489
Size:  69.0 KB
Old 09-05-2012, 05:32 AM   #145

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony_fury View Post
You model dash is different from mine.
The air vents came out with my horseshoe. Also my cup holders were different from yours as well.
You have as much access as you can possibly get, you should be able to run your power wire to the fuse box with that access.
They changed the design from MY03, I believe.

The reason I want to remove the entire frame is that I want to do the cutting for the new radio cage out of the car, and also removing the factory radio support bracket (which in my car is U shaped and seems to be joined to the vent assembly with clips) will be easier.

Last edited by politby; 09-05-2012 at 05:36 AM.
Old 09-05-2012, 06:07 AM   #146
2001 Arctic Silver 2.7

Garage
Yes it is different on your 03.
Don't know if this helps or not.

I found a YouTube video of a installer on a 2003 996.
fast frog to 2:00 min mark of the video of the dash, they do not remove the horseshoe at all to install the double din..
KENWOOD DNX9960 INSTALL IN 2003 PORSCHE 996 BY AUDIO 200 - YouTube
Hope it helps..
Old 09-05-2012, 06:23 AM   #147

That looks exactly like mine. Do you have a link to the whole image?

If you look at the radio support bracket in my photo, you see that it has a black metal profile at about mid height, one each side, presumably there to support the now-relocated climate control. They will effectively block the insertion of a double DIN radio, so they must go. They will be impossible to remove unless the entire bracket is removed.

Possibly I could get it out if I can pull out the cupholder; the picture you posted a part of may tell me how.

Edit: now that I look closer at your photo I see your car has those black metal supports too. You must have removed them, otherwise you could not have fitted your unit.

Last edited by politby; 09-05-2012 at 06:50 AM.
Old 09-05-2012, 07:00 AM   #148
2001 Arctic Silver 2.7

Garage
I got that image from Pelican parts replacement cup holder diagram.
Pelican Parts - Product Information: 996-552-183-00-01C-OEM

Might try a parts catalog for a 996..
Old 09-05-2012, 07:27 AM   #149

Looks like the cupholder may just slide out if those locking tabs are pushed down:

Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1346858825.411931.jpg
Views: 2479
Size:  50.5 KB

Someone must have done this on a 2003-up. Anyone?
Old 09-05-2012, 08:21 AM   #150
SoK

looks like the locking tabs you release when inserting the radio removal keys, any chance there's an opening there for them?
Old 09-05-2012, 08:32 AM   #151

I think there's even room to insert a finger or at least a screwdriver. It's inpossible to see in there, I need to try a flashlight.

Pretty sure the cupholder must come out in order to remove the radio bracket; they are interlocked.

Pretty crummy design, this - and the plastic parts seem so fragile.
Old 09-09-2012, 05:09 AM   #152

Okay, the JVC KW-AV60BT is finally in place:

The Connects2 kit was not 100% useful, I was able to use the wiring adapter harness and the bezel but not the cage as the fit was not good and it came with no instructions.

Because the bezel is designed for the Connects2 cage, I had to improvise a bit to make it fit the JVC cage. It's not perfect but good enough.

The Porsche logo is a brake caliper decal. A little on the large side but it matches the silver details in the cabin perfectly.

The cubby above the climate cotntrol will be turned into an iPhone dock. Still trying to figure out how to get the JVC to work properly with the iPhone, it refuses to display ani kind of image. I have a parking brake bypass on order; hopefully that will sort it.
Old 09-09-2012, 07:46 AM   #153
2001 Arctic Silver 2.7

Garage
politby, good job.
Looks nice..
Old 09-10-2012, 01:48 PM   #154

Looks beautiful. I love the red leather interior.

I bought the Porsche Installation Kit linked earlier in this thread. Mine fit so snug, people think it's factory. The PORSCHE symbol on my bezel is just a cheap sticker though. Fingernails can peel it off.

I have some extra bezels if anyone wants them.
Crono0001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 09:32 PM   #155

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crono0001 View Post
Looks beautiful. I love the red leather interior.

I have some extra bezels if anyone wants them.
Yes I love the color too. Really happy I found one that wasn't silver/black; seems that's what 95% of the Boxsters come in.

Only blemish is a few scratches on the center console. Wonder if it is real aluminum or just coated plastic?

What's good about the Connects2 kit is that is completely flush with the dash AND the JVC. But I need to figure out a way to make it sit more securely.
Old 09-15-2012, 02:19 PM   #156

I was planning to replace the Bose door speakers as well, but now that I have listened to them driven by the new amp, I am not so sure. Those drivers are only 4" but they put out an impressive amount of tight bass now that they are getting more than the 15 or so watts the factory amp put out.

I have a pair of Kicker 6.5" subs which I had intended to install in custom baffles in the doors. The Bose speakers are probably not designed to handle the power I am feeding them so they are likely to break at some point. Those of you who replaced the door speakers - what's your experience?
Old 09-17-2012, 09:36 AM   #157
SoK

Is it safe to say you could have installed that particular JVC doube din unit without the connects2 kit? Would the bezel that comes with it from JVC have worked?

Any modifications needed to the JVC cage to work with the dash?

Quote:
Originally Posted by politby View Post
Okay, the JVC KW-AV60BT is finally in place:

The Connects2 kit was not 100% useful, I was able to use the wiring adapter harness and the bezel but not the cage as the fit was not good and it came with no instructions.

Because the bezel is designed for the Connects2 cage, I had to improvise a bit to make it fit the JVC cage. It's not perfect but good enough.

The Porsche logo is a brake caliper decal. A little on the large side but it matches the silver details in the cabin perfectly.

The cubby above the climate cotntrol will be turned into an iPhone dock. Still trying to figure out how to get the JVC to work properly with the iPhone, it refuses to display ani kind of image. I have a parking brake bypass on order; hopefully that will sort it.
Old 09-17-2012, 09:53 AM   #158

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoK View Post
Is it safe to say you could have installed that particular JVC doube din unit without the connects2 kit? Would the bezel that comes with it from JVC have worked?

Any modifications needed to the JVC cage to work with the dash?
The JVC bezel is not tall enough - it would leave a gap between itself and the cupholder, so the Connects2 bezel was definitely needed. As was the wiring harness to connect the head unit and replacement amp to the factory wiring.

The hole in the dash is taller than a standard double DIN so an asymmetrical bezel is a must.

The JVC cage fit as it was, I just needed to fix it to the Porsche plastic frame using a couple of screws..
Old 09-17-2012, 12:33 PM   #159
SoK

cool, thanks for the info! I'm sure someone on here could use that connects2 cage, might want to list it in the for sale section.
Old 12-06-2012, 08:57 AM   #160

I am going to begin this project soon. I ordered the Eurospeed kit and a pioneer 940bt. My only concern is hooking up the rear view camera. I dont even need it, I just bought to add a gadjet to the head unit. Did anyone with this head unit get the traffic receiver? Is it worth the extra money?

I bought the system for the use of navigation and to play music of the micro sd card. I bought a 32gig card and will fill it up with the 5000 mp3's on my computer.