Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > DIY Project Guides

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-22-2014, 06:56 AM   #61

Thanks! That helps A LOT.

My car doesn't have a variable speed wiper, so that should make it easier. I'll probably heat shrink the positive side of the LED on the lighter if I change it out. I'm seriously considering putting in the non smoker console that gets rid of the ashtray, and if I do, I've been looking for a clean way to integrate an LED into the new cubby it provides. Haven't come up with anything I'm happy with yet.

Also, from what I've read, the 01 and up gauge cluster is all SMD LEDs and no plug and play like earlier. Won't know until I dig in. No big deal, just more soldering.

My new head unit I installed has a blue back light. So I'm thinking blue back lit LCDs on the temp control, digital speedo, and odometer will look good. White for the switches and analog portion of the gauges. Not sure if I'll do white, or blue in the door handles and the little dome light.

Last edited by Swhitcomb; 01-23-2014 at 07:56 AM.
Swhitcomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 07:17 AM   #62

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swhitcomb View Post
Thanks! That helps A LOT.

My car doesn't have a variable speed wiper, so that should make it easier. I'll probably head shrink the positive side of the LED on the lighter if I change it out. I'm seriously considering putting in the non smoker console that gets rid of the ashtray, and if I do, I've been looking for a clean way to integrate an LED into the new cubby it provides. Haven't come up with anything I'm happy with yet.

Also, from what I've read, the 01 and up gauge cluster is all SMD LEDs and no plug and play like earlier. Won't know until I dig in. No big deal, just more soldering.
I believe the ash tray light is similar or maybe exactly the same as the cigarette lighter bulb, but I am also thinking about something other than an ashtray there and maybe not the cubby either.

I have read the same thing about the 01+ gauges, but I have never seen one in person, so I'm not sure if they are the same PLCC2 LEDs, or something else. On my '00, the the main dials are bigger bulbs than the handful of other bulbs that illuminate the edges, warning lights, etc., so there may be two different sizes of LEDs. I changed all of the backlight bulbs, but none of the warning light, cruise control, etc lights.
Old 01-22-2014, 08:44 AM   #63
Custom User Title Here

Garage
Regarding removal of surface mount components: I find it easiest to use a straight pin or needle wedged under the smd while hitting it with the iron. This way, it pops up as soon as the solder is melted.
Old 02-14-2014, 09:38 PM   #64
Custom User Title Here

Garage
I'm considering offering a retrofit with a core exchange. The core exchange kit would include these parts with the backlight color of your choice. You could also just send me these parts for a retrofit.

Any interest?
Attached Images

Old 02-15-2014, 03:29 AM   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by particlewave View Post
I'm considering offering a retrofit with a core exchange. The core exchange kit would include these parts with the backlight color of your choice. You could also just send me these parts for a retrofit.

Any interest?
I'd be interested. How much are you thinking of charging?
Old 02-15-2014, 12:28 PM   #66
Custom User Title Here

Garage
Quote:
I'd be interested. How much are you thinking of charging?
I'm not exactly sure yet
LEDs and shipping alone will cost about $30...probably $125-$150 for the retrofit. I'm still on the fence about the core exchange idea. The problem with it is that cosmetic quality would vary and I may get stuck with parts that I can't use, not to mention that climate control units aren't cheap and most may not be comfortable with the core charge.

Shipping your parts to me is probably the best option, though some may not be able to go the 5-10 business days without these items, specifically the climate control unit and window switches. My turn around would be 0-1 days, but shipping takes time.

I'm open to ideas.

Last edited by particlewave; 05-06-2014 at 11:03 AM.
particlewave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 01:11 PM   #67

Garage
I might be interested

New Porsche owner here, 2003 Boxster S. Would you entertain me bringing the car by for the day? I can't seem to PM you (user error probably ). Send me a pm and let me know.
Coaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 07:50 AM   #68
Custom User Title Here

Garage
That would be an awfully long drive from Austin!
Old 03-19-2014, 11:23 AM   #69

Garage
I have family half way to you. I could leave Friday nite and be at your place by mid morning Sat. Depending on how long you need I could head back Sat nite or make the whole trip back Sun. I could pay for supplies in advance so you wouldn't be out anything.
Coaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 03:30 PM   #70
Custom User Title Here

Garage
We might be able to work something out. I'll send you a pm.
Old 05-06-2014, 10:59 AM   #71
Custom User Title Here

Garage
Last chance for this mod as a complete kit. I wish I could go lower, but with the cost of LEDs, materials and labor, I'm already short changing myself. This will be the first and last set I do if I can't get the minimum of $150 for parts and labor

http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-parts-sale-wanted/51986-blue-led-backlit-interior-climate-control-unit-switches-headlight-trim-cig-ligh.html
Old 05-18-2014, 01:31 PM   #72

Quote:
Originally Posted by particlewave View Post
Last chance for this mod as a complete kit. I wish I could go lower, but with the cost of LEDs, materials and labor, I'm already short changing myself. This will be the first and last set I do if I can't get the minimum of $150 for parts and labor

http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-parts-sale-wanted/51986-blue-led-backlit-interior-climate-control-unit-switches-headlight-trim-cig-ligh.html
Particlewave, I am very interested in having the LEDs replaced. My car is red though, so Blue wouldn't look too good. I have family in KC and could stop by sometime or send you the parts. I'm thinking white or red. I'll pay $160 since the stock orange is so unbelievably disgusting. Maybe could work out having you install double din receiver and my garage switch at the same time for extra. I'm just not too confident with the soldering.
R0chMaN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 07:36 AM   #73

Garage
Just read this thread of yours Particlewave, and wishing the offer was still on the table. The orange is just not cutting it...:ah::ah::ah:
2000 Boxster S, SPEC stage 1 clutch, Fabspeed sport headers, Fabspeed secondary cat deletes, Billy&Boat muffler, EVOM air intake, Ben006's Custom Short Shifter, Pedro's TechnoBrace, Eibach rear sway bar, De-snorkeled, Fred's custom projector HL
Dubaday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 07:52 AM   #74
Custom User Title Here

Garage
Randy - the whole core exchange idea just didn't hold water.
I've done a few conversions for people, though. It just requires you to pull all the items you want converted and shipping them to me. Being centrally located (KC area), shipping is fairly quick (about 3 days each way to either coast).

If you daily drive your car, this is basically impossible, but if you can go a week or so without, I can help you out.

The only thing that I won't touch are the earlier clusters (like mine in the picture). Their LCDs are just far too sensitive to be shipped. I've bought three clusters in an attempt to replace my damaged LCD. All were fine before being shipped to me (as verified by pictures before being shipped), but arrived with 1 or more damaged LCDs.
The good news is that those older style style clusters are easy for you to do as you can just purchase a kit and swap the bulbs. Everything else requires soldering.

Last edited by particlewave; 04-05-2016 at 07:58 AM.
Old 04-05-2016, 09:35 AM   #75

Garage
unfortunately I do daily the boxster. I don't want white or blue as the color of the cluster either, which is what SportCarLEDs.com only has to offer. So I'll continue the hunt for some red ones. As far as the center console goes, I guess I'll just have to do some research and practice some soldering Thanks for the attempt to help me on this though Particlewave, very much appreciated
2000 Boxster S, SPEC stage 1 clutch, Fabspeed sport headers, Fabspeed secondary cat deletes, Billy&Boat muffler, EVOM air intake, Ben006's Custom Short Shifter, Pedro's TechnoBrace, Eibach rear sway bar, De-snorkeled, Fred's custom projector HL
Dubaday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 10:04 AM   #76

Can you let me know what LEDs (specifically)?

Your setup is AMAZING! Can you let me exactly what LED's you used, so I can replicate this? I'm not that handy, but am eager to take a pass at this.
SpeedYellow02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 10:54 AM   #77
Custom User Title Here

Garage
Thanks!

The links are on page 2, but I gues I can re-post them
Bulbs for for '97-'01 clusters;
SportsCarLEDs.com - LEDs Replacements for the Porsche ® 996 Boxster 993 964 911 928 968 944

For the climate control and switches;
I recommend these LEDs.
Old 03-12-2017, 06:53 PM   #78

The link you guys provided for the LEDs died. I'm finally to the point where I'm just going to order them and do it. I'm looking at them on eBay. What voltage do I need? I don't want to order the wrong ones.
Old 03-22-2017, 11:06 AM   #79

Hi guys this is my first post on this forum. I want to change the bulbs for blue leds. Is there a place where i can buy the whole lot for all the interior ? speedo, climate control and switches?
gdjohny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 12:03 PM   #80
Custom User Title Here

Garage
Quote:
The link you guys provided for the LEDs died. I'm finally to the point where I'm just going to order them and do it. I'm looking at them on eBay. What voltage do I need? I don't want to order the wrong ones.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gdjohny View Post
Hi guys this is my first post on this forum. I want to change the bulbs for blue leds. Is there a place where i can buy the whole lot for all the interior ? speedo, climate control and switches?
http://www.sportscarleds.com

Last edited by particlewave; 03-22-2017 at 12:05 PM.