Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > DIY Project Guides

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-23-2011, 07:12 AM   #21

Garage
Great DIY! Changing my plugs over the Christmas holiday.

Old 06-25-2022, 08:43 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by thstone View Post
I replaced my plugs and tubes today.

One thing to remember to do is to check the spark plug gap before you install the new plugs. Usually they are ok out of the box, but one of my new plugs was quite a bit off (wide, not close). I set the plugs at .028".

Still reading a couple things on plugs, tubes, coils, etc, and came across this older thread. What caught my eye was the gap that thstone was setting his plugs at. I realize his is a different year, but for my vehicle (2001S) Bentley recommends 1.6 mm which, if my math is good, comes out to 0.063"

Even with it being a different year, the difference between his setting and Bentley's recommendation is huge—over a 2:1 difference. Does this seem odd to anyone besides me?
Frodo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2022, 12:53 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frodo View Post

Still reading a couple things on plugs, tubes, coils, etc, and came across this older thread. What caught my eye was the gap that thstone was setting his plugs at. I realize his is a different year, but for my vehicle (2001S) Bentley recommends 1.6 mm which, if my math is good, comes out to 0.063"

Even with it being a different year, the difference between his setting and Bentley's recommendation is huge—over a 2:1 difference. Does this seem odd to anyone besides me?
0.028" is very close. I don't recall any automobile engine with a plug gap spec. that close.
I would not dwell on it. Gap your plugs at the Bentley spec.

blue62 is offline   Reply With Quote