Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > DIY Project Guides

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-28-2009, 11:35 AM   #1

Red face What am I looking at for fix

The other day I was cruising along when all of a sudden there was a "ploosh" sound and then a squealing. I pull over to the right and checked the tires for a blow out but they looked fine. Being new to the Boxster scene I did not what to mess with the problem besides it was 90F and in full sun on a clear sky. So I had the car towed back home a couple of miles. Thank you AAA.

Checking my new service manual, I thought it may be the groovey belt, so I purchased one from my local Porsche dealer at there usual scalping price minus 10% for my PCA card.

Today I braved the removal of the passanger seat and fumbled with the electrical connector( the likes of I've never seen before). This was after I went to my local Sears and purchased a star socket set with the needed E12. I also get 10% off anything at Sears have retired there after putting in my indentured service time.

With the help of the a for mentioned service book I removed the engine cover and to my surprise I viewed the picture below. The groovy belt seem to be happy so the one I purchased is my first contribution to the emergency kit. However it appears that the tension idler pulley was attempting to attach me from behind.

How do I fix this?

ChefCarnivore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 12:06 PM   #2

Smile Additional Info

Notice that the bolt that holds the idler pulley is a mile long and its hex head is up against the sheet metal housing preventing removal. The only way it could have been installed would be if the engine was removed or at least raised 1/4 inch if that's possible. My question is why would anyone use such a long bolt?

I plan to either purchase a new idler, or replace the bearing ( which is destroyed) any replace the bolt with a proper size. I do hope that I have 24mm box wrench to remove the tension, else I shall once again be on my way to Sears.

Oh the only way to get the bolt off is to cut it with a hacksaw or better yet cut it off with a torch. (just took a course in Oxy/Acetylene welding). Yes that would be fun, but I may set the car on fire so I'll resort to the Hacksaw.
Old 04-28-2009, 01:07 PM   #3

I know the exact bolt that you are seeing. I believe it is that long because it also holds the alternator if I am not mistaken. You should be able to get it out. You may have to jack the motor a small bit or wiggle the crap out of it, but I think you can get that one out. If you need a new bolt for that let me know. I will get back to you in a bit. Ill go look at the my old motor and see exactly what it is supposed to be if that one is wrong.
Be Right Back

Jay
Ebay Headers, Fabspeed high flow cats, JIC Cross, IPD Plenum, H&R Coilovers, B&M Short Shifter, AEM Uego Gauge Type Analog, Apexi S-AFC Select, 987 air box, Litronics, 2000 Tails and side markers, painted center console, 18" 987 S-Wheels, GT3 Front bumper with splitter.
JAAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 01:13 PM   #4

Fast enough for you.. OK This is the right hand side bolt that holds in the alternator. You are going to either get a 15mm open end box wrench in there and see if it will thread it self back in.. Never mind that your belt is off. You have to remove the "groovy belt" and then you can simply pry upwards on that side of the alternator and it will pop up exposing the head of the bolt so then you can remove, replace or put it back in. This is honestly about a 15 minute fix from where you are now. If you need photos or something let me know. while you have the belt off, being that you have a new one. Bend the other one backwards and check it for cracks and stuff like that. If there is anything wrong with it just replace it.
Jay
Ebay Headers, Fabspeed high flow cats, JIC Cross, IPD Plenum, H&R Coilovers, B&M Short Shifter, AEM Uego Gauge Type Analog, Apexi S-AFC Select, 987 air box, Litronics, 2000 Tails and side markers, painted center console, 18" 987 S-Wheels, GT3 Front bumper with splitter.

Last edited by JAAY; 04-28-2009 at 01:16 PM.
JAAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 01:42 PM   #5

Yep, this is an easy fix. It looks as if the bolt just came loose. I would go ahead and wiggle the bolt to get the head to clear the firewall and remove it with the ider pulley so you can check the idler pulley bearing. If it still rotates smooth, then put it back together, tighten the bolt and reinstall the serpentine belt. If the bearing seems loose, I'd go down and buy another one from the stealership.

I just did this on mine a couple of weeks ago, but my problem was the water outlet cover that the alternator attaches to broke off. So I had to replace the water outlet cover and while I was at it, I replaced the tensioner pulley and the two idler pulleys. A new serpentine belt, a little antifreeze and I was back in business. I don't know how old your serpentine belt is, but if it were me, I'd put the new one on anyway and keep the old one as an emergency belt.

Last edited by Thumper; 04-28-2009 at 01:46 PM.
Thumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 06:54 PM   #6

Thanks for your help

I will take your advise and replace the grooved belt and keep the old one for an emergency.

Well that was fun. Next I'll switch seat backs while I wait for the parts.
:dance:
Old 05-06-2009, 08:40 AM   #7

what do you mean switch seat backs?

you mean pull the top half of the seats off and "rotate" them..so the side bolster on the drivers' left that gets worn off is now on the passenger left, vice versa???

is that hard to do?

23109VC is offline   Reply With Quote