Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > DIY Project Guides

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-26-2008, 04:54 PM   #1

Wired FM Modulator iPod install

I've had my 03 S for a week now, and finally got all the parts together for this. Here's what I used:

-Metra Antenna adapters 40-EU10 and 40-EU20
http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Metra-VW-BMW-European-Vehicle-Antenna-Adapter-Aftermarket-Radio-to-Factory-Antenna-40-EU10/sem/rpsm/oid/52436/rpem/ccd/productDetail.do
http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Metra-VW-BMW-European-Vehicle-Antenna-Adapter-Factory-Radio-to-Aftermarket-Antenna-40-EU20/sem/rpsm/oid/54777/rpem/ccd/productDetail.do
(Don't buy these at Circuit City. I got them for $10 each at the local car stereo shop)

-Directed Video RFM100 Stereo FM Modulator
http://shop4.outpost.com/%7BQhF00mOg-s3sQGCUaG6tbA**.node3%7D/product/4826540

-Scosche IPAVAX iPod to universal Audio Video cables
http://shop4.outpost.com/%7BQhF00mOg-s3sQGCUaG6tbA**.node3%7D/product/5186946

I tried to reach the antenna cable by removing the ac controls, but it's latched on there, so you have to pull the stereo. I didn't want to wait to order stereo keys, so I took it down to the car audio shop. The guy said it would be $35. I told him it will only take 5 seconds, and there's no way I'm paying more than $10. He said ok.

With the stereo unclipped you can pull the whole thing out. The cables are plenty long. I ran the antenna cables from the modulator up behind the dash. There is a big pocket behind the carpeted kick panels to hide it in. I used the phone plug to power the modulator. It's easy to find. The power and ground wire can just push right into the plug. You have to use the power switch that came with the modulator, but I just left the wires bundled up and flipped the switch to on. Tune your stereo to 88.7 or 89.1, depending on what you set the switch to, and store it as a preset. Make sure you test it out before pushing the stereo back in if you don't have your own keys.

There is some noise with this setup, but it's much cheaper than the Dension. I'm gonna run this for a while and see if the noise bothers me. Also, I still need to hook up the power wires from the iPod cable so it will charge, but that should just involve splicing those cables into the ground and power from the modulator. Hope this helps some of you.

lostdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008, 09:33 AM   #2

The noise could be induced AC noise from power cables. If you haven't already, check the power cables to route them as far as possible from sound cables. If they have to be close, cross them at 90 degree angle.

And Circuit City (and others) offer noise reduction kits.

I'm interested in hearing how it goes. I'm no audiophile, but I might copy your install if the noise is tolerable over time.
PCA since 1970
70Sixter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 07:07 AM   #3
2006 987

Garage
How is this working? Unfortunately circuit city is out of business so the links do not work
986_inquiry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 08:22 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by lostdog View Post
I didn't want to wait to order stereo keys, so I took it down to the car audio shop. The guy said it would be $35. I told him it will only take 5 seconds, and there's no way I'm paying more than $10. He said ok.
You paid $10!!!!! jeez...too much.

You could have done it yourself with 2 thin pointy steak knives.

Check the detail pics below of the latch mechanism, its pure simplicity.

I used aluminum because thats what I had in the garage at the time.

The whole stereo key racket is ridiculous. Its so simple you could probably use a paperclip.

Made my own radio removal tools out of some thin aluminum I had laying around the shop, and cut them to this shape because I remembered the one you buy where that shape. You need 2

Here is the little springy catch that you use the above tool on to to bend the catch inwards towards the radio.

There it is pushed inward to release the catch. You do both at the same time and the radio comes out.

There are little slots for the tools near the bottom corners.

Short Shifter, Touch Screen Dual Din Radio, 03 4 Bow glass Top (DD & Auto-X since May 17,2012)

Last edited by jb92563; 07-18-2012 at 08:28 AM.
jb92563 is offline   Reply With Quote